General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: After seeing the 2018 Models are you now planning on buying one?
Yes, I like what I see
36.41%
No, I don't like any of the new models
63.59%
Voters: 714. You may not vote on this poll

After seeing the 2018 line-up, Are you going to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2017 | 04:40 PM
tpitman
Cruiser

Not in the market for another bike new or used, but I was at the Orlando dealership this afternoon buying exhaust port gaskets for my old Sportster and saw the new Fat Bob. I guess everyone is different but I think it looks like ****. Looks nothing like a Harley, and I guess if that's what they think will bring in new buyers, good luck. The Street Bob looks like a Honda Shadow from the early 90s and I can't get past the squared-off headlight shell of the Fat Boy.

Last edited by tpitman; 08-24-2017 at 04:46 PM.
Old 08-24-2017 | 04:45 PM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by baka1969
That 3.5 gal tank would be a deal breaker for me. That's 50-75 miles less range. It seems like you're looking to do some traveling. Believe me that extra range makes a big difference.

I went from a 3.3 gal tank to a 4.5 gal tank and appreciate the added benefit.

I'd choose a bike with a 5 gal tank if you're buying a 2018 Softail. IMHO of course.
Well, I certainly here you there. My current FXDF has a much bigger tank and I have been nearly out of fuel quite a few times - but it's never been because there aren't any gas stations nearby, but because I have often pushed for maximum range. Not for any real reason though....

So instead I will just have to learn to stop and fill up every one and a half to two hours, instead of every two. Fuel economy should also be better on the M8 - unless you are really booting it.

Not ideal, but I can live with it.

Plus I will probably buy a Touring bike anyway once the bigger engine and new frame end up in those models.

Old 08-24-2017 | 05:27 PM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

Originally Posted by adm
Well, I certainly here you there. My current FXDF has a much bigger tank and I have been nearly out of fuel quite a few times - but it's never been because there aren't any gas stations nearby, but because I have often pushed for maximum range. Not for any real reason though....

So instead I will just have to learn to stop and fill up every one and a half to two hours, instead of every two. Fuel economy should also be better on the M8 - unless you are really booting it.

Not ideal, but I can live with it.

Plus I will probably buy a Touring bike anyway once the bigger engine and new frame end up in those models.
There are many area where the added range would make a difference. Either way it's a deal breaker for me.

Old 08-24-2017 | 05:40 PM
Mr. Mac
Intermediate

Originally Posted by FLSSBart
After watching the 2018 Dealer Show, I've been seeing alot of basically negative comments from existing owners. Made me curious how many people after seeing what is coming out for 2018 are planning on buying a 2018 model?

Yes, absolutely. Many of the new styles and color schemes look infinitely better than most of HD's past styles color schemes. Not everyone wants flashy chrome, blingy bass boat type glossy fingerprint magnet "Hey, look at me!" paint, logos and goofy ornamentation smattered all over the place, etc. Some of us want stripped down, anti-bling, minimalistic, all business, no BS aesthetics (which as a bonus is much easier to clean and maintain too). Thankfully HD is FINALLY recognizing this long-ignored segment of the market and responding with offerings that better appeal to it. Take this bike seen at dealer show for example. It's gorgeous IMO, and the only thing that would've made this particular Street Glide's color scheme even better would by anti-glare/fingerprint matte paint and matte black motor, components, etc. Oh, and a nice wrap style fender would've really set that front wheel off proper too. Anyway, different strokes, different folks. Buy and ride whatever lifts your skirt.

The following users liked this post:
cvaria (08-24-2017)
Old 08-24-2017 | 05:44 PM
rhino1250
Road Warrior

The gunship grey is awesome

oldsoldier181 (08-25-2017)
Old 08-24-2017 | 06:03 PM
Hey Man
Seasoned HDF Member

Boy 'o boy, Harley has come out with some butt-ugly bikes in the past but the 2018 lineup is the worst to date. Especially the Softails. They took the best looking model they had and totally douched it out. I've never purchased a new Harley and it looks like I never will.

02603SEC (08-24-2017)
Old 08-24-2017 | 06:05 PM
FILA
Cruiser

The Fat Bob looks like a Japanese Bike .... I though Harley was a different "bike" , a "way of life" a "culture" ... looks like it is transforming into "one more brand" ...

Dyna models, in my opinion, are the most balance models from all Harley's ... it is a shame that MOCO decide to kill them ... we will see in the future but I think is a bad decision .

I don't like almost none of the new bikes, maybe the Street Bob but ... digital Speedometer and USB port???!!!

And the Fat Boy is terribly ugly

Old 08-24-2017 | 06:15 PM
G'day
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Geoff
The 2018 Touring models are okay. But there's something about the new Softail line I don't like. Classic styling has changed.
One of two things are going to happen (IMHO).

Either MoCo executives have recognised that touring range of bikes are still purchased by older, traditional crowd and decided to leave it alone with traditional styling.

OR

2018.5 or 2019 model year may bring 'new design' to the touring range as well.

I think the introduction of Road King Special to test the water first in 2017.5... followed by 2018 Street Glide and Road Glide getting blacked out treatment seem to signal the start of that change to me but it all comes down to sales over the next year, I would assume.

Good thing about Harley is that any components can be changed straight out of Harley's massive Parts & Accessories catalogue. Don't like Fatboy headlight, can be changed. For decades, Harley feared this back lash from the loyal, long time Harley customers and refrained from changing the appearance.

Harley seeing drop in sales year after year, had to make a difficult call. Keep doing what they have done for another 20 years and there will be no one left to buy a Harley OR start targeting younger crowd and develop the next generation of riders. Young guys/gals don't want to rider 'old man' bikes.

Some of us may not like the steps Harley has taken but it was necessary if MoCo wants to celebrate 150th Anniversary.

I also suspect many more changes are in the pipeline. Remember, 100 new bikes in 10 years. 2018 launched 8 new Softail. There are many more surprises ahead. Including the production of Livewire electronic bikes.

We have enjoyed decades of dormant status. World has moved on. Harley is trying to catch up.

One last thing... one day in the next few years, we will realise that these new 'contemporary' designed headlights don't look all that bad. We just need a little time to get use to them. 😎

QNman (08-25-2017)
Old 08-24-2017 | 06:26 PM
jeff53404
Tourer

I've got too much invested in my current ride.

Old 08-24-2017 | 06:43 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member
Veteran: Army

Nope.

I was considering a new Road Glide Special with the M8 motor, but they blacked it out and raised the price $2,300.

Eff no.

Quick Reply: After seeing the 2018 line-up, Are you going to buy?