General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: After seeing the 2018 Models are you now planning on buying one?
Yes, I like what I see
36.41%
No, I don't like any of the new models
63.59%
Voters: 714. You may not vote on this poll

After seeing the 2018 line-up, Are you going to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2017 | 08:04 AM
PPearl
Tourer

Originally Posted by magna
kinda begs the question why are the Breakouts so much more expensive than the Streetbob.
I believe the official reason is: Because screw-you, that's why.

I'm voted no on buying a new one, mostly because I'm still enjoying the hell out of my 09.

Old 08-24-2017 | 08:46 AM
rleedeuce
Road Captain
Default Triumph T120 for the WIN

The new 2018 softail models are an improvement in performance but they still beg the question why are these bikes so darn heavy?
I understand that a touring model HAS to weigh over 700 lbs (closer to 900 in some cases!)
But an around town bike that weighs 700lbs is just a bit too much especially as I get older and the bikes get harder to push around.
In the looks department I also really don't get the spray can paint jobs and overall cheap look of these models.
And how come there is no Low Rider S with twin discs up front?
Why Harley, why?
For a lot less money you can buy a Triumph T120 Bonneville that weighs almost two hundred pounds less than a Fat Bob.
Plus it will have twin rear shocks easily up gradable to Ohlins.
And twin discs up front.
And gobs of power.
And a cool exhaust note.
Traditionalists that like good looking lighter cruiser bikes that have class should be flocking to the Triumph dealer and trying out either the Bonny or the new Bobber which looks way cool IMHO and has nice ergos and balance which is something Harley lost a long time ago.
Harley just keeps on making big fat heavy bikes even if they DO handle a bit better at this point.
As the Sportster hasn't done anything interesting lately perhaps it is time to look across the pond to a Brit bike?

Old 08-24-2017 | 08:47 AM
QNman
Supporter
Supporter

Originally Posted by MiniWolf
Performance-wise, without a doubt the bikes will get good reviews. A 114 in a Fat Bob has got be a lot of fun. Consider riders with the 103 would spend many thousands of dollars to get a similar HP boost and an upgrade to 114 costs only 1,700.

But with that being said, I still don't understand what they are doing with the styling. I question such a radical change for numerous models. Slowly changing styling I can understand but so much so quick has me pausing. The question is, will it attract more people than it turns off from a styling perspective? If you are looking at max performance, you're not going to be looking at a Harley to begin with so I question whether the engine upgrades really are going to get non-riders onboard. A lot of buyers looking for classic styling might be considering the Indians now IMO. Really, the only thing left with what most people associate with traditional Harley style is the road king. Outside of that, if you want a cruiser that resembles a classic Harley in styling, your only options now are Indian, Suzuki, or Yamaha.
Radical changes to numerous models was, I think, long overdue. The styling of the Heritage, Low Rider, and even Fat Bob to a point, have been glacial in their movement forward, style-wise. To my eye, they managed to "evolve" a few models (Low Rider, Street Bob) style-wise, while almost completely remaking others (Fatboy, Fat Bob), and left some in-between (Heritage). If you're a fan of the nostalgic Harley look, there's still a selection for you (albeit smaller), but now with a modern frame, powerful engine, etc.

As long as Harley makes air-cooled V-Twins, they're never going to match a liquid-cooled inline four. HOWEVER, if you want the lope of a v-twin AND plenty of pep to rip around in, the new 107 delivers that in spades over the old 103 twinkie. And with options to go to a 114 with 111 ft-lbs in STOCK trim? I think many people who've dismissed Harley out of hand will give them another look.

Old 08-24-2017 | 08:59 AM
MiniWolf

Originally Posted by QNman
Radical changes to numerous models was, I think, long overdue. The styling of the Heritage, Low Rider, and even Fat Bob to a point, have been glacial in their movement forward, style-wise. To my eye, they managed to "evolve" a few models (Low Rider, Street Bob) style-wise, while almost completely remaking others (Fatboy, Fat Bob), and left some in-between (Heritage). If you're a fan of the nostalgic Harley look, there's still a selection for you (albeit smaller), but now with a modern frame, powerful engine, etc.

As long as Harley makes air-cooled V-Twins, they're never going to match a liquid-cooled inline four. HOWEVER, if you want the lope of a v-twin AND plenty of pep to rip around in, the new 107 delivers that in spades over the old 103 twinkie. And with options to go to a 114 with 111 ft-lbs in STOCK trim? I think many people who've dismissed Harley out of hand will give them another look.
Only time will tell. Everything we are offering here is just our own personal opinions largely formed by our own preferences. Only indicator of success or failure will be sales figures. I just am skeptical that Harley is going to see a mass influx of new buyers. Not sure where they are going to come from as the general older rider pool has been shrinking steadily and the new generation just is not taking to riding. I also cant see a sportbike rider dropping their current setup for a Harley just because the new bikes have a 107 instead of a 103.

Old 08-24-2017 | 09:23 AM
JekyllnHyde
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by rgrmike14
I can't believe they made the tanks smaller on the Low Rider, Street Bob, and Fat Bob. BIG MISTAKE. The LED's on the Deluxe would've looked good on the new Fat Boy but it's a weird look on the Deluxe IMHO. None of the big bikes have mid-controls which sucks. The Fat Bob's exhaust completely prohibits the use of mid-controls and for the Dyna crew I think that would've been a good call.

I just found a fork seal leak on my 2013 Softail. With the prices of the 2018's going up I just can't ever see my buying another new Harley. Maybe I got a lemon but the 2018's really disappointed me.

I'm going to test ride an Indian.

The Low Rider has a 5 gallon tank. The three bikes that have a 3,5 gal tank are the Street Bob, Fat Bob and Breakout.

Old 08-24-2017 | 09:31 AM
QNman
Supporter
Supporter

Originally Posted by MiniWolf
Only time will tell. Everything we are offering here is just our own personal opinions largely formed by our own preferences. Only indicator of success or failure will be sales figures. I just am skeptical that Harley is going to see a mass influx of new buyers. Not sure where they are going to come from as the general older rider pool has been shrinking steadily and the new generation just is not taking to riding. I also cant see a sportbike rider dropping their current setup for a Harley just because the new bikes have a 107 instead of a 103.
I couldn't agree more. At this point, I think it has to be a focus on market share more than pure numbers.

Kids these days, eh? When I was 15, almost 16, I thought of little else than getting my license and a car. My 15 year old can get his permit now, but has zero interest in cars or in driving. Which means his interest in motorcycles is less than that. I don't get it... I just don't.

Old 08-24-2017 | 09:42 AM
MiniWolf

Originally Posted by QNman
I couldn't agree more. At this point, I think it has to be a focus on market share more than pure numbers.

Kids these days, eh? When I was 15, almost 16, I thought of little else than getting my license and a car. My 15 year old can get his permit now, but has zero interest in cars or in driving. Which means his interest in motorcycles is less than that. I don't get it... I just don't.
Fewer percentage teens and young adults are getting their licenses than years past. There has been a large drop in licensing over the past decade. Not sure all the reasons. But it is a lot more time-consuming and difficult to get a license now than in the past. When I was 16, you went and got a temporary then after a short stint, took the driving test and that was it. You now have graduated licensing in most states. You don't just get handed your license and must go through stages where restrictions apply until you work your way up to full licensing.

There is also the X-Box factor. A lot of kids would rather simulate riding a motorcycle or sports car than actually own and ride one.

Old 08-24-2017 | 09:44 AM
Nirvana
Road Captain

Originally Posted by jz78817
because despite the "under the skin" changes over the years, as far as appearance goes they've been selling the same damn bikes for 20+ years now. Time to move on.

imagine if Chevy was still selling the '57 Bel Air, but with a Gen. V LT1, modern brakes and suspension, etc. Yes, a handful of cantankerous old guys might buy one, but the rest of us would look at GM and say "is this the best you can do?"
I see this differently. I feel that HD has departed considerably from their traditional look, especially over the past several years.

I got back into riding in 2011 and purchased a 2011 Road King Classic because I loved the timeless look of that model in particular. You can still get close to that Road King look today, but you do have to swap out some parts. Quite some time ago someone on this forum posted the following picture. The bike on the left is a 1969 Electra Glide while the bike on the right is a late 90's Road King I believe. I don't think HD is really selling bikes "in the image" of the '57 Bel Air any longer. I think Indian has a more traditional styling compared to the recent HD's.

Family Photo

Old 08-24-2017 | 09:46 AM
sbarron
Road Master

Yup. I'll be buying a Yamaha Star Venture Transcontinental!

The following users liked this post:
Tufel (08-25-2017)
Old 08-24-2017 | 09:57 AM
J-S
Cruiser

Well I have a 81 Wide glide that I am rebuilding so I will still have my classic look, the new one well like I said I might go for the fat boy which really surprise me lol or the breakout if I don't find the tank as ugly in person or if I have the possibility to fit a bigger tank to it

Quick Reply: After seeing the 2018 line-up, Are you going to buy?