General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: After seeing the 2018 Models are you now planning on buying one?
Yes, I like what I see
36.41%
No, I don't like any of the new models
63.59%
Voters: 714. You may not vote on this poll

After seeing the 2018 line-up, Are you going to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2017 | 03:24 AM
=fugitive=
Advanced

I agree with the idea of continuous improvement and the changes they've made that claim a better handling frame, better suspension, brakes, engine etc - but that's only one part of the equation.

The other is styling. The bikes need to look great to draw me in. So what if the bike is technically better in performance/handling than the previous generation? If it doesn't look cool I'm not interested. Let's face it there are better performing bikes out there, to me Harley is about the look and sound and it's the look that's missing with the new models.

I think they could have done better with the styling, nothing with that 'WOW' factor for me - and that's the feeling I got when I first saw the Fat Bob update in 2014 and more recently with the Low Rider S.

The models that have always been Softails still look OK for the most part but the ex-Dynas they've converted just don't quite look right imo. I'm also kind of surprised they don't have a Low Rider S style bike in there, I thought they were popular with younger riders which seems to be their targeted audience with the changes, but no obvious 2018 alternative.

If I was in the market for a new bike and was looking at Harleys but didn't want a bagger, I'd now also be looking at Triumph's modern classics - I think they've nailed it with performance and styling (their Bobber looks awesome too) and I'd consider the R Nine T lineup from BMW.

...but, no plans to get rid of my '96 Fatboy.

Old 08-24-2017 | 04:19 AM
Dr.Midnight
Seasoned HDF Member

Not a buyer. I don't know what the bigger dud was, Harley's 2018 model introduction, or the eclipse on Monday.

The following users liked this post:
wyndnface (08-24-2017)
Old 08-24-2017 | 05:37 AM
jz78817
Road Master

Originally Posted by MiniWolf
But with that being said, I still don't understand what they are doing with the styling. I question such a radical change for numerous models.
because despite the "under the skin" changes over the years, as far as appearance goes they've been selling the same damn bikes for 20+ years now. Time to move on.

imagine if Chevy was still selling the '57 Bel Air, but with a Gen. V LT1, modern brakes and suspension, etc. Yes, a handful of cantankerous old guys might buy one, but the rest of us would look at GM and say "is this the best you can do?"

Old 08-24-2017 | 06:06 AM
FLSSBart
|
Cruiser

Very interesting to see that early in the poll it was about 2/3s "don't like" to the 1/3 "would buy". Its almost split in half now (as of this posting)

Been a very good read and some good responses. I will say some people are reading WAY too much into a very simple question. Sure I agree, it can be a complex answer with lots of variables.

My goal was to treat it like an "exit poll". Just to get a rough idea of what people's initial reaction is to the new model roll out. I do agree though I should have put a "no opinion at this time", but by the time I thought to add it, alot of people already responded.

Thanks for voting and responding!

Old 08-24-2017 | 06:10 AM
tennmoto
Cruiser

I like the new approach to "the ride, performance " because besides the looks that is
Important. I always liked the Street Bob except for the spokes. I like the new Low Rider.
Not sure about the tank graphics though. If this new standard model line helps HD then that's good. The public can sure be brutal though. I can hardly wait to test ride some new ones.

Old 08-24-2017 | 06:26 AM
Qdog002
Stellar HDF Member

I voted yes not because I will be buying but because I think the whole new line looks fantastic. The Heritage looks the best!! Imagine cornering with the new softails and not scraping!! Everything positive with the new line except the exhausts on the Lowrider and Streetbob. They should be staggered like the Heritage.

The following users liked this post:
Rakthi (08-24-2017)
Old 08-24-2017 | 06:28 AM
magna
Stellar HDF Member

With no Dyna's and all the Softails having the same frame and more or less the same engine and Trans, kinda begs the question why are the Breakouts so much more expensive than the Streetbob.

Old 08-24-2017 | 07:45 AM
The Mick
Stage IV
Default Lovin it.

Originally Posted by pingman68
It only took them 10 years to catch up with what I did on my 08 with the new Street Glide Special. I do like the denim blue they did, but the offset graphics causes my OCD to flare up.
Yes I am considering the Anniversary Blue on the SGS. But only if I can get it without the eagle. Otherwise vivid black.

Old 08-24-2017 | 08:00 AM
MiniWolf

Originally Posted by magna
With no Dyna's and all the Softails having the same frame and more or less the same engine and Trans, kinda begs the question why are the Breakouts so much more expensive than the Streetbob.

Not just the breakout. A Street Glide special is now more expensive than an Ultra Classic. A stripped down Road King 'Special' is now almost $3k more than the standard loaded Road King base price.

Dealers will say it's because of the wheels, saddlebags and paint. Partly true but not completely. There is also the 'cool premium'.

Old 08-24-2017 | 08:02 AM
Curt1953
Ultimate HDF Member

One of the first reviews of the 2018 Fat Bob with the 114.

Quick Reply: After seeing the 2018 line-up, Are you going to buy?