General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: After seeing the 2018 Models are you now planning on buying one?
Yes, I like what I see
36.41%
No, I don't like any of the new models
63.59%
Voters: 714. You may not vote on this poll

After seeing the 2018 line-up, Are you going to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2017 | 10:58 PM
RedNose44
Extreme HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Originally Posted by lh4x4
As far as the 3.5 gal tank goes it is meaningless. Range is the important data.

The M8 gets 8% more mpg in the touring frame. I have 10K on my 17 RGS with stage I and average 52 mpg. In the lighter bike it should be even higher.

So how many ride over 150 miles without stopping?

The cruisers should get 55 mpg. Low fuel light should come on at about 180 miles.
We are doing a ride out in the desert next weekend. Total distance is a little over 200 miles and no gas stations. We are packing saddle bag cans to get the bikes with smaller tanks home.

Old 08-23-2017 | 10:59 PM
xmen9c
Road Master

Originally Posted by rgk
Yes, I will pick up a 2018 Fat Boy in Bonneville Salt Pearl as soon as it arrives at my dealer.
I'm with ya there. I dig that color since they have never had a white-ish RG that I can remember that wasn't a CVO. The blacked out parts with that paint makes it look killer IMO.

Old 08-23-2017 | 11:01 PM
02603SEC
Road Captain

I am now even more happy that I bought my 2017 Breakout and didn't bother waiting.

Old 08-24-2017 | 12:14 AM
Melroy
Outstanding HDF Member

I was planning on buying a new RG next spring. I'll check out the 18's in person at the HD museum rally party next week. If I like what I see then I'll go from there otherwise I'll find a leftover 17 to my liking

Old 08-24-2017 | 01:47 AM
LoneWoolf
Stellar HDF Member

Based on what I saw yesterday morning when I woke up, I went out and bought a 2003 Dyna LowRider Anniversary Edition, yesterday afternoon.

One owner, 18K miles, bone stock cept for Stage1. Beautiful Silver/Black. I hope everyone that buys one of the new bikes is as excited as I am. Different strokes for different folks.

Old 08-24-2017 | 01:50 AM
Bamaglider
Cruiser

Originally Posted by LoneWoolf
Based on what I saw yesterday morning when I woke up, I went out and bought a 2003 Dyna LowRider Anniversary Edition, yesterday afternoon.

One owner, 18K miles, bone stock cept for Stage1. Beautiful Silver/Black. I hope everyone that buys one of the new bikes is as excited as I am. Different strokes for different folks.
the dyna is a tried and true bike with a huge following, Harley messed up by discontinuing them

Old 08-24-2017 | 02:09 AM
Bpf
Intermediate

Originally Posted by baka1969
If you take the money you would spend on a 2018 Heritage and get the R1200GS or R1200RT, the BMW offers the superior bike. With traction control, electronically adjustable suspension, lower weight, more power, superior brakes, better handling and added versatility, the BMW is clearly better.
There are many other factors one can take into consideration, not just technology, performance or look.

I had a few BMW bikes (R1100RT+2 x K1200LT) and liked them. But after 15 years of BMW riding, I quit because:

- it is very hard not to ride fast with these bikes. I was close to lose my driving license many times. They seem to be designed for a 100mph cruising speed on highways.

- they can't have highway pegs, your legs stay still for hours, you can't alternate positions. I was used to stop only to take a walk because my knees were hurting. I won't ever buy a new bike that can't have highway pegs or at least a way to allow more freedom of move for my legs. (getting old...)

- regarding handling, BWM bikes have their center of gravity higher than V-twin touring bikes. I fell a few times while stopped because of gravel under my shoe, trying to resist to the fall just break your back and the bike fells anyway, you can just slow down the fall. It's also harder to put them back in the upright position.

- they also have quality problems like other brands. I got: clutch wearing out too fast, LCD display troubles, loss of right audio channel (twice, only one with warranty support), case locks that broke, windshield defaults, fairing pieces losing adjustment over time, fuel leaks because of aging plastic parts, etc. I would be surprised that they now have zero default. In July while taking a break in a gas station, I saw a guy on a R1200GS putting it in a truck because he had lost the front brake. I don't buy anymore the dream of the "Deutsche Qualität".

Most of this could be said about many bikes, not just BMW.

If you look for a bike with highway pegs, giving good fun to ride at reasonable speed, very easy to handle at slow speed, especially when slaloming in traffic jams, low v-twins are the way to go.

If you don't like honkasuyaki customs, then you are back to HD and Indian. If you don't trust Polaris, welcome back to HD...

Old 08-24-2017 | 02:12 AM
JekyllnHyde
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by MiniWolf
Harley stock down in trading. Apparently, investors are not thrilled with the new releases. Time will tell if this attracts the new buyers. I still just think Harley is doing the wrong thing to attract the new generation of riders. They are more interested in performance over style.
Style is nice but I'll put performance over it any day of the week. I'm very curious to see how these new bikes ride. Especially the Fat Bob. I don't doubt they'll be an improvement but I want to see how much more performance they give.

Old 08-24-2017 | 02:50 AM
Bluehighways
Stellar HDF Member

Q.) After seeing the 2018 line-up, are you going to buy?

A.) No!

Originally Posted by lh4x4
So how many ride over 150 miles without stopping?
Quite often! Go west some time. You will not have a choice in the matter unless you stay strictly on the interstates . . . and even then it can get interesting from time to time.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 09-03-2017 at 06:32 PM.
Old 08-24-2017 | 03:14 AM
rgrmike14
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Bluehighways
Quite often! Go west some time. You will not have a choice in the matter unless you stay strictly on the interstates . . . and even then it can get interesting from time to time.
I can't believe they made the tanks smaller on the Low Rider, Street Bob, and Fat Bob. BIG MISTAKE. The LED's on the Deluxe would've looked good on the new Fat Boy but it's a weird look on the Deluxe IMHO. None of the big bikes have mid-controls which sucks. The Fat Bob's exhaust completely prohibits the use of mid-controls and for the Dyna crew I think that would've been a good call.

I just found a fork seal leak on my 2013 Softail. With the prices of the 2018's going up I just can't ever see my buying another new Harley. Maybe I got a lemon but the 2018's really disappointed me.

I'm going to test ride an Indian.

Quick Reply: After seeing the 2018 line-up, Are you going to buy?