General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: After seeing the 2018 Models are you now planning on buying one?
Yes, I like what I see
36.41%
No, I don't like any of the new models
63.59%
Voters: 714. You may not vote on this poll

After seeing the 2018 line-up, Are you going to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2017 | 08:00 PM
MiniWolf

Originally Posted by Jamo11
These motorcycles will top every Best list. They're great. You negative Nellys will eat your words with a fork and spoon.
Performance-wise, without a doubt the bikes will get good reviews. A 114 in a Fat Bob has got be a lot of fun. Consider riders with the 103 would spend many thousands of dollars to get a similar HP boost and an upgrade to 114 costs only 1,700.

But with that being said, I still don't understand what they are doing with the styling. I question such a radical change for numerous models. Slowly changing styling I can understand but so much so quick has me pausing. The question is, will it attract more people than it turns off from a styling perspective? If you are looking at max performance, you're not going to be looking at a Harley to begin with so I question whether the engine upgrades really are going to get non-riders onboard. A lot of buyers looking for classic styling might be considering the Indians now IMO. Really, the only thing left with what most people associate with traditional Harley style is the road king. Outside of that, if you want a cruiser that resembles a classic Harley in styling, your only options now are Indian, Suzuki, or Yamaha.

Old 08-23-2017 | 08:01 PM
confederate
Most Wanted

Originally Posted by TinCupChalice
The only HD's I'll be buying is old HD's As a long time Dyna guy, this direction HD has taken is completely disappointing and I'm out of the customer pool. Old rides and the aftermarket for me, HD has lost me permanently...

Perfectly stated. How ironic, the metric cruisers try to look like an HD and now the HD's are trying to look metric. I gotta give Harley some credit, they certainly pulled off the metric look better than the metrics did trying to emulate HD.

The following users liked this post:
Cowboy Rob (08-23-2017)
Old 08-23-2017 | 08:08 PM
freebaggin
Tourer

I own an FXDB because I liked riding it more than any other bike. I will probably keep it for a long time as I had no plans to change anytime soon. My next bike (someday possibly) will also be purchased based on what I like to ride best. I'm shocked that HD canceled the Dyna line and I don't like the fact that they are using the old Dyna model names on the new bikes but I won't judge whether I like the new line just by looks, I need to ride them first. Some of you guys that are saying "never" may learn a lesson one day, never say "never".

Old 08-23-2017 | 08:19 PM
LTBiker
Road Captain

I'm not too impressed by what I see online...pictures...etc. But, want to see them in person, and demo one of the new Heritages, then we'll see. Been looking at several '16 Heritages; lot of good buys out there. That's probably the route I will go.

Old 08-23-2017 | 08:42 PM
rjjj629
Road Warrior

I voted yes I like what I see but there probably shoulda been an "I'll wait and see option."

I like the pictures, and some of the colors, but there's really no substitute for seeing them in person.

And while I kinda like the looks of what they've done with the new frame, I definitely have to test ride one before I give it the thumbs up or down.

I'm kinda surprised they kept the "softail" name and ditched "dyna". If it had been up to me I probably would've killed both product line names and come up with something new.

Old 08-23-2017 | 08:47 PM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member

I vote YES because I would buy if I were in the market.

I love the new FAT Boy!

I saw the Fat Boy and the Fat Bob in action today and the service techs had BIG smiles on their faces and very complimentary of both handling and performance!

HD has really been stepping it up!

The prices have really gone up also. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Old 08-23-2017 | 09:17 PM
rowan
Road Master
Thumbs up

I voted yes I like what I see, for the last 2 years I was hoping wishing for a reintro of the softail custom FXSTC, well at first I was bummed/ annoyed you get it,
but this afternoon I was looking a little further more in depth and thought wow it's right there. streetbob softail? With the new M8, ok not chromed no 21" front wheel no bobtail rear fender, but? Now if that frame is the same as a slim. 2018 to 2018, then forwards and boards may work? That 3.5 tank on the streetbob
Not quite a peanut tank but it'll work. Think softail M8 no hot oil tank under your a&&, no heat shields or crotch cooler. Modular frame same motor hmm one bike multiple directions for the creative individual
Now the colors for 18. Really HD? redesign the line and ya dropped the ball with color schemes.

No I'm not trading my slim for 18 slim but maybe if forward controls and bike height is right for my vertically Challenged self then maybe a street bob? Probably the closest for what I'm seeking.
Closest style to a FXSTC of old.

Old 08-23-2017 | 09:29 PM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member

the fatboy , street glide special, road king special and really all the softails are ugly this year. lots of really ugly crap this year. goodbye h.d. you are on your way down the tubes if you keep building crap like this.

Last edited by hardheaded; 08-24-2017 at 10:19 AM.
Old 08-23-2017 | 09:34 PM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

I think BMW, Triumph, Moto Guzzi and Ducati are offering better bikes now for the money.

Harley-Davidson was never cheap. But now they are pricing themselves where other premium brands are offering more sophisticated motorcycles. Harley went "modern". Sort of. If you take the money you would spend on a 2018 Heritage and get the R1200GS or R1200RT, the BMW offers the superior bike. With traction control, electronically adjustable suspension, lower weight, more power, superior brakes, better handling and added versatility, the BMW is clearly better.

What Harley had offered was a traditional look and feel that was somewhat more unique and authentic. With the new lineup, that's gone. The improvements they've made don't compete with today's real modern bikes.

And who the hell though that offering a 3.5 gal tank was a good idea on a Softail?

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 09-19-2017 at 08:52 AM.
Old 08-23-2017 | 09:38 PM
01fxdxt
Stellar HDF Member

Frame sounds much improved.Shoulda killed the dyna name.
https://www.revzilla.com/common-trea...ine-kills-dyna

Quick Reply: After seeing the 2018 line-up, Are you going to buy?