General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: After seeing the 2018 Models are you now planning on buying one?
Yes, I like what I see
36.41%
No, I don't like any of the new models
63.59%
Voters: 714. You may not vote on this poll

After seeing the 2018 line-up, Are you going to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2017 | 03:02 PM
randyp
Cruiser

Originally Posted by TinCupChalice
The only HD's I'll be buying is old HD's As a long time Dyna guy, this direction HD has taken is completely disappointing and I'm out of the customer pool. Old rides and the aftermarket for me, HD has lost me permanently...
The Dyna frame was mediocre replacement for the FXR frame and a cost-cutting move. I find it funny how people suddenly love them so much.

This new frame looks superior in every way.

The following users liked this post:
Ozzie iron (10-12-2017)
Old 08-23-2017 | 03:42 PM
10 RED RK
Outstanding HDF Member

"CALLING HARLEY MARKETING V P TO THE HOUSE PHONE" -

BAD NEW'S CHIEF! 143 AGAINST/52 FOR IN A DEVOUT HD FORUM - RESIGNATION EXPECTED IN AM ON CEO DESK

5 MINUTES LATER;

"CALLING HARLEY C E O TO THE HOUSE PHONE' BAD NEWS BOSS THE BOARD WANTS YOUR RESIGNATION AS WELL"
YOU PROMISED 50 NEW MODELS IN 5 YEARS, CUT AT LEAST
10 MODELS THE LAST TWO YEARS...

You just can't make this stuff up without repercussions 25% for 75% against - what was HD thinking. Don't think the analysts on Wall Street don't read this stuff!!!!!!!!

Old 08-23-2017 | 03:49 PM
Honey-Badger
Seasoned HDF Member

most HD owners complain when the moco makes changes. status quo.

my first HD was a Dyna, so I have a soft spot for 'em.

The Street Bob looks tough with the mono shock IMO.

Old 08-23-2017 | 03:50 PM
oldsoldier181
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

I think HD is hitting their target audience. Some of the newer colors are nice. Not a denim paint fan at all though.
The new grey is amazing. I enjoy the classic black with chrome accents myself, but that grey just really pops.
From a manufacturing standpoint, I completely understand their need to consolidate models. They want to release 100 new models, right? They cant possibly set up that many different frames. It just wouldnt be cost effective to them. So, they kill their least productive models, consolidate, and target two crowds:
Their current customers, whom, it appears, they are targeting with the touring models, and new customers, who, it looks like, they are taking some of the sport bike looks from, combining them with the HD lineup, and hoping for the best. Time will tell. However, they cant please everyone. We will see in a couple years what worked, and what didnt. And HD will go from there.
They are certainly updating the features though. Coming more in line with other manufacturers. Which pleases some, but not others. End of the day, HD is making decisions based on projected sales. We will see if the gamble paid off.
One thing I would suggest, and I have mentioned this to others:
There is a real concern that not as many people are riding these days. Overall, bike sales are down everywhere. I think a great incentive to entice NEW riders in, would be for dealerships to offer free lessons with the purchase of a bike. And, I would say, a purchase of ANY HD bike-new or used. Many dealerships offer rider programs in house. This idea would get new riders on Harleys. Its a win win for them.
There is a dealership I saw online that, for the month of August, was offering a lifetime warranty on the entire bike-EVERYTHING-if you bought new at their store. Thats a great deal too. I dont know how dealerships operate, if they need permission from HD to offer those kinds of incentives or not, but incentives like those-particularly the new rider program idea-will bring people in, get them on a bike.

Old 08-23-2017 | 03:52 PM
Mr.Bluster
Cruiser

Originally Posted by TroubleHead Fred
I am deeply disgusted by the MOCO after seeing this ****-poor "update" on their frames.

I never wanted a Softail before the 2018s came out, no way would I consider one of those fugly abortions they just came out with. They look like Yamaha tried to make a softail clone. I can't imagine the Dyna guys being happy about them.
Seriously, Dude?

Honey-Badger (08-23-2017)
Old 08-23-2017 | 03:53 PM
rleedeuce
Road Captain
Default Not feeling the vibe at all

In my opinion Harley has decided that great beauty does not sell anymore.
The gorgeous paint, chrome and styling of the classics are now a thing of the past.
If I wanted a cheap black Japanese power cruiser I would buy an M109R.
My ideal Harley has all ways been a lighter better performing version of the basic home built choppers that were everywhere when I was starting out in the mid 60s.
A full dress FL from early 1950 weighed about 550lbs.
There were tons of them on the market because the old group had got married and given up their bikes.
The chops we built out of them weighed less than 500 Lbs.
Back then you could BUILD a chop out of a chromed VL springer front end and a couple hunded bucks worth of used parts and then have it custom painted.
Total cost around $800 bucks.
I totally understood why Harley stayed in the game with new buyers after the AMF fiasco because the bikes were good looking and worked real good compared to the early ones.
But if all you offer is Japanese looks then I might as well go back to building my own again.
Suits me.
Hmmm. S&S is still making that bodacious Knucklehead clone aren't they?
Meanwhile today's kids are looking to buy YOUR old dresser and chop it in case you havent noticed!
The kids arent crazy about paying 20 grand for a bike and home made ones have more character.
Something that is sorely missing from the 2018 Harley models.

Built Pan

Suzuki M109

Old 08-23-2017 | 03:54 PM
T^2
Stellar HDF Member

Starting to warm a little to a few of them...

If I were interested in buying... I would be looking at the Street Bob, Low Rider, and the Deluxe.

I've thought - from time to time about getting a touring model for traveling. I've been partial to the Road Kings for this task. Since the RK is so re-configurable, it strikes my fancy. You can strip it down and ride it naked (the bike, not me) for local/day trip riding, or put all the stuff on it needed for traveling. Just looking at the Deluxe - it might be just as viable in that regard. Particularly if the new frame/suspension is as good as they say it is. It's a bit cheaper and weighs considerably less.

Still... I'd have to wait until all the beta testing and value depreciation has been completed by all the early adopters/buyers. Perhaps I'll find I low mileage garage queen in a few years.

Shdwcaster (08-23-2017)
Old 08-23-2017 | 03:59 PM
tda69
Stellar HDF Member

The poll results are going to be somewhat skewed with people responding who may be expressing their viewpoint as to whether or not they actually like the bike, who in many cases I'm sure were never in the market to begin with to buy a new bike. Something to consider... Perhaps a better poll question would be, of those who are presently in the market for a new HD, are you likely to buy a 2018 model? At least that's the way I see it anyway.

The following 2 users liked this post by tda69:
CVORGU (08-23-2017), Ozzie iron (10-12-2017)
Old 08-23-2017 | 04:10 PM
QNman
Supporter
Supporter

If I were to get a second bike, the new Fat Bob 114 would DEFINITELY get my money. As it is, I am trying very hard not to buy this one:

Old 08-23-2017 | 04:14 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

I'm currently riding a '13 CVO Ultra and considering a Tri-Glide as my next "road" bike.
I'll always have two-wheelers to ride so I'll always have options as to what I ride where.

I was slightly disappointed (but not shocked) that there were no significant changes/upgrades to the Tri-Glide. I (as others are also) that H-D would either introduce a CVO Trike, or an IRS rear end, or at least some options that would eliminate the need of throwing new OEM parts away in order to install new optional aftermarket accessories (namely a chrome front end, adjustable handlebars, a rider backrest, and a choice of windshield height).

Being a former, and current owner of Heritage Softails, I like the way the new bags open and I like the optional engine choice, but I do not care for the "blacked out" look of the bike.

And not that I'd buy one, but at least they have made some very visible improvements to the Fat Boy, which I think will sell to the younger crowd, and that's fantastic.

Quick Reply: After seeing the 2018 line-up, Are you going to buy?