General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: After seeing the 2018 Models are you now planning on buying one?
Yes, I like what I see
36.41%
No, I don't like any of the new models
63.59%
Voters: 714. You may not vote on this poll

After seeing the 2018 line-up, Are you going to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2017 | 11:24 AM
chuckw2
Outstanding HDF Member

I like the Heritage now, didn't used to. If I was in the market would definitely consider it.

The following users liked this post:
Rakthi (08-24-2017)
Old 08-23-2017 | 11:29 AM
Bamaglider
Cruiser

Originally Posted by MiniWolf
Harley stock down in trading. Apparently, investors are not thrilled with the new releases. Time will tell if this attracts the new buyers. I still just think Harley is doing the wrong thing to attract the new generation of riders. They are more interested in performance over style.
personally I think everything but the 2018s had still just needed more power, but not at the cost of a whole line of bikes with a faithful following, and alof of people don't like a smoth idling engine they like to feel the rumble of the engine at a nice idle I predict stock will continue to fall

Old 08-23-2017 | 11:37 AM
RG RON
Cruiser

This maybe off topic, but wife ride's a triglide and traded in her 2012 for a 2014. I rode tested it and noticed a difference in the heat, even with a tuner and the lovejugs on the 2012 comparing to the wetheads. Anyhow I had stalled it out the (14) in gear and before on the 12 just pulling in the clutch it would start in with it in gear. The 14 you have to press on the rear brake in addition to hitting the start button. Of course its a safety thing but when your in a traffic situation in traffic its a little nerving at times. Reason I stalled it was attempting to adjust from cable to hydraulic clutch, Haven't stalled it afterwards. My thoughts as the newer models are developed more safety crap will follow, so at this point nothing newer than a 14. I also haven't see any in person, just on the site, but so far not impressed. Friend looked at a 2017 fatbob and her first comment was it looked like a metric and she is an experience hd rider. so I don't know where this will end up in the future. I think the rushmore line is better than what is came out.

Old 08-23-2017 | 11:38 AM
FLASH1970
Stellar HDF Member

After seeing the Denim Blue SGS, yes, I plan on buying a 2018 bike... someday.

Old 08-23-2017 | 11:46 AM
jlmwrite
6th Gear

The closer I get to 60 (and it's damn close), the more I appreciate the classic look. That's why I finally broke down last year and bought a '16 Heritage. After $4K in add-ons, I have it just where I like (ok, except for the pillion seat; mama doesn't like the stock, but she didn't like the Mustang Vintage or the Signature Smooth seats either). I've never been a fan of the blacked-out look on any vehicle, and the new Softail line makes me even happier with my chrome-drenched Heritage.

I'm looking forward to riding something with the new frame and motor anyway. I think they are a big step forward, even if I don't agree with the styling, and dropping the Dyna line. I'm also a little bit sad I sold my 2001 WG now...

My current Heritage is a keeper for me unless they come back in a few more years with the chrome and leather that made it... Well, a Classic! At least they left the Ultra Limited alone. That's going to be my second bike soon.

Old 08-23-2017 | 11:48 AM
jz78817
Road Master

Originally Posted by smokingjoe
Why call these folks whiners for expressing their feeling man ?
joe
it's one thing to say you don't like it (it's subjective, after all.) But (for example) on the Revzilla stories, there are some snowflakes in the comments totally melting down and posting incessantly about how Harley's "just like the Japs," or "no better than Polaris," "RIP Harley," over and over and over and over.

That's whining.

The following users liked this post:
CVORGU (08-23-2017)
Old 08-23-2017 | 12:11 PM
Ikelove
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by upflying
Harley only makes two bikes now, Touring and Softail
In my opinion, the name Low Rider does not belong on a Softail.

This Dyna is a PROPER Low Rider..

Agreed. Also noticed that the new "Low Rider" now only has one front disc brake.

Old 08-23-2017 | 12:11 PM
Mike Lawless
Outstanding HDF Member

Change is inevitable, and is the only constant. If the moco never changed, all they'd have is bikes like the 1903 model. People will complain either way. It's either that they just do cosmetic makeovers to the existing line-up, or that the new motor is not offered in certain models, or when it is, they don't like some other aspect.

Some of the changes to the softail line-up are attractive to me. Improved lean-angle, stiffer lighter frame, better rear swing arm arrangement, among a few others.

But, I'm not a buyer. The engine/electronics management has become too complex. I like simple. My own 2006 Deluxe is even too complex in many regards.

Besides, at my age, I'm wanted to go into retirement debt-free. Can't do that and buy the latest and greatest everytime something new comes out. I'll at least try to keep my current ride as my last bike.

Old 08-23-2017 | 12:20 PM
6 gun
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Bamaglider
that's what I like the WG legs nice and stretched out no kid controls and 17 was the last year for it
If Harley had put a Wide Glide front end on a softail they would have brought back the discontinued softail standard.

Old 08-23-2017 | 12:34 PM
SBRob
Seasoned HDF Member

The Dyna boys and girls had better grab a 2017 while they are still available...just sayin'.

The 2017 Low Rider is lookin' real good right now.

Quick Reply: After seeing the 2018 line-up, Are you going to buy?