General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me go to Sturgis

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 05:03 PM
dynamike74
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Help me go to Sturgis

ORIGINAL: LowriderFXRS

Is this a serious request?

Sorry, I gave at the office.
Dude, you get something in return. This is not me asking for a handout!

Old 06-11-2007, 05:04 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Why don't you have it?

Old 06-11-2007, 05:05 PM
TxHarleyGuy2007
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dynamike74,

A couple of things.

First, I applaud your efforts for not coming straight out(as some on the forums have been known to do) and asking for a handout. All the while telling us how hard you have it, how tough life is, how unfair life is, etc. etc. etc. To that end, at least you are attempting to give people something for their donations in kind.

Second, (and this is purely my take, mind you; nothing personal) but what with the Internet, I just can't see why anyone would pay for any pics of either bikes or babes (or anything else for that matter). Digital photography is a passion/hobby of mine. At this year's ROT rally alone, I took well over 3,000 pics and recorded well over 8 hours of video. I just couldn't see paying for something I could either do myself (often times just as well) or easily find via the web. Again, I say this with no disrespect toward both your profession and/or magazine.

Third, I won't be able to make Sturgis this year as I will be getting things in order for an extended trip toHawaii later in the year. The $5.00 subscription deal that you are offering does not appeal to me. Much for the reasons I listed above. However, I would be willing to do this; I'd be willing to 'donate' to your cause in return for 2 XL Sturgis T-shirts upon your arrival. Yes, said 'donation' would include/cover the cost of the T's. Now, these T-shirts would have to be legit Sturgis rally shirts and none of that cheap assed buy 5 for 20 bucks crap that we all see at the rallies. Oh yeah, and I don't do that paypal bs. If interested, send me an address via PM whereby I can send you a donation for your trip. I'm a man of my word. In turn, and if you accept this offer, I expect you to be a man of your word by keeping up your end of the deal as well. Fair enough? So there you have it.

Old 06-11-2007, 05:06 PM
dynamike74
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: anubisss

Why don't you have it?
I sponsored this forum. Sponsoring this forum is not cheap!

Old 06-11-2007, 05:08 PM
dynamike74
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: KeithB

Seems like Mike has a pretty cool job already[8D]
Thanks!

Old 06-11-2007, 05:08 PM
dynamike74
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: LowriderFXRS

Too bad it doesn't pay enough to finance a road trip.
Touche

Old 06-11-2007, 05:10 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I see.

Old 06-11-2007, 05:11 PM
3power
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: TxHarleyGuy2007

dynamike74,

A couple of things.

First, I applaud your efforts for not coming straight out(as some on the forums have been known to do) and asking for a handout. All the while telling us how hard you have it, how tough life is, how unfair life is, etc. etc. etc. To that end, at least you are attempting to give people something for their donations in kind.

Second, (and this is purely my take, mind you; nothing personal) but what with the Internet, I just can't see why anyone would pay for any pics of either bikes or babes (or anything else for that matter). Digital photography is a passion/hobby of mine. At this year's ROT rally alone, I took well over 3,000 pics and recorded well over 8 hours of video. I just couldn't see paying for something I could either do myself (often times just as well) or easily find via the web. Again, I say this with no disrespect toward both your profession and/or magazine.

Third, I won't be able to make Sturgis this year as I will be getting things in order for an extended trip toHawaii later in the year. The $5.00 subscription deal that you are offering does not appeal to me. Much for the reasons I listed above. However, I would be willing to do this; I'd be willing to 'donate' to your cause in return for 2 XL Sturgis T-shirts upon your arrival. Yes, said 'donation' would include/cover the cost of the T's. Now, these T-shirts would have to be legit Sturgis rally shirts and none of that cheap assed buy 5 for 20 bucks crap that we all see at the rallies. Oh yeah, and I don't do that paypal bs. If interested, send me an address via PM whereby I can send you a donation for your trip. I'm a man of my word. In turn, and if you accept this offer, I expect you to be a man of your word by keeping up your end of the deal as well. Fair enough? So there you have it.
Great post.

I like that idea. Dynamike can be the official T-shirt gatherer for the forum. 5 bucks for labor!

Old 06-11-2007, 05:24 PM
dynamike74
Outstanding HDF Member

dynamike74,

A couple of things.

Thanks for seeing through the stuff that it looks like most people can't.

I also understand what you mean when you say it's hard to make a living doing what I'm doing. I get it all the time with brides that hire the guy to shoot their wedding for peanuts and get "full rights" to the images or have a friend do it for free. With all of the technology out there, lots of people think that they can do just as good as someone who's been doing it for years and puts their lives at stake with every shutter release. We have had to adapt as photographers and be creative with how we market ourselves.

That's why the $5 also gets you deep discounts on stuff that I'm pretty confident most people on this forum can't recreate, like the magazine covers and full babe feature photosets. I know that anyone can take a pic of a cute or even hot girl on a nice looking scooter, but if you like my pictures of Joy or Heather, you're gonna find it pretty hard to recreate that exact image. The better you are the easier it will be to copy it, but duplicating it isn't so easy.

I don't want my site to be a pay site. I have one of those already and it does well enough. I really want Brain Bucket to remain free for the info. I added the pay per download options to help with the revenue. It is helping. It's new and not quite where I would like for it to be, but it's of to a good start.

As far as your offer goes, I will definately take you up on it. If I'm not able to go, I will send your money back. Regardless I'll include a nice print of your favorite cover!

Thanks,
Mike

Old 06-11-2007, 05:26 PM
dynamike74
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: 3power

dynamike74,

A couple of things.

Great post.

I like that idea. Dynamike can be the official T-shirt gatherer for the forum. 5 bucks for labor!
I'm riding the whole way out there and back from NE FL. I don't know that I'll have enough space to carry that many shirts. Maybe if I pull a trailer on the bike, or send them from Sturgis. I'm up for it and can be creative enough to make it work.

Quick Reply: Help me go to Sturgis