General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

best / most reliable engine from 2001 to 2017

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2023 | 08:42 AM
OakMountainRider
Tourer

Originally Posted by Tony P
I'm okay with the gearing in my 07' Dyna. I never had any issues until I had my Indy go through it at 75k and they suggested a new cam to replace the stock cam. 5k miles later (80k) their work caused catastrophic damage and I had to have the entire engine rebuilt using all Harley parts. Up until then, my bike ran fine. It would still be cranking out the miles if it wasn't for me wanting to do a precautionary checkup. I'm still running the original clutch and drive belt. The 80k tranny appears to be fine or my dealer would have suggested rebuilding it along with the engine.Yes, the rebuild was expensive, but it was my first Harley and it's near and dear to me.
Sorry about that. Do you know what actually caused the break down? Did your engine have to much crankshaft runout destroying the oil pump, or did the indy do a mistake when replacing the cam?

Old 12-06-2023 | 09:08 AM
Goose_NC
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp

Originally Posted by Bingee
Consensus? I don't agree. Nor would a lot of riders who have owned multiple ascending year HD's since 1984. The 1994 and newer EVO's are the most reliable of that group. But they are not as reliable as the newer (2007 and up) twin cams engines. You'll find a lot of 100K+ twin cam bikes around that have had only minor engine repairs done and are ready for 50K more. Not so for the EVO's, even the later year versions. A top end is almost mandatory for one over 75K. Plus you have to consider the availability of parts and service locations if you have an EVO equipped bike. That just goes hand n hand with what reliability is all about.

Well, I guess my 1989 Evo Was an anomaly. I did have to rebuild the top end after the carb slide put metal bits into my top end. The tear down inspection revealed nothing that would have not worked well at that 118,000 miles. I had the heads ported/flowed to match the EV13 cam, and went with .10 over pistons and a new carb. Ride it until the crank case split at 150ish miles.

Old 12-06-2023 | 05:16 PM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by OakMountainRider
Sorry about that. Do you know what actually caused the break down? Did your engine have to much crankshaft runout destroying the oil pump, or did the indy do a mistake when replacing the cam?
My 07 stator shaft seal went, I have to wonder if crank run out, at 55k. But who knows stuff happens. I think it acctually started having issues long before that. Started using oil around 25k. Belt went 55k. Volt reg at same time.

I don't this guys bike at 75k, was just going to keep going. It is possible the bottom end could not take the new cam, especially if started trying it out.

I got 70k on my 07, i am going to open and do lifters and pads this winter, planning at least. I am thinking re-ring, and maybe mild cams and maybe port. Hoping maybe it will cool it down a little. With the emmissions changes a new engine that year is warm. Maybe a good tune will help that too. How much I want to spend on bike with 70, when I got two more, with be a factor too.

When I opened other engine up 90 last year, rocker arms were chipping. It can he a real rabbit hole on high mileage engines. I stuck a lot of money in that bike.

I'd be curiuos to hear more of Tony's story. I am reluctant to up the power, i don't trust the bottom end. But it is also how you ride it, I ride like grandma, but like to goose it once in awhile.

I think lifters don't get talked about a lot, and I may be on borrowed time or past.

Old 12-06-2023 | 06:21 PM
OakMountainRider
Tourer

Yes, the crank could be a weak point, after what I have understood. It is not hard to find somewhat worrying stories about the Harley cranks.

I was adviced here to pull timing to protect the crank as I have 1:9,2 /190 psi. So I tested and found 18 % less timing optional, giving less vibrations.

Another solution could perhaps be to replace the stock automatic primary chain tensioner with an aftermarket one. However I have not read a lot about that solution and how much it will protect the crank. But it doesn’t seem unlikely it would, just as it is easier on the mainshaft.

Old 12-07-2023 | 06:15 AM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member

I am on my third bearing in primary on my 2007. First two 25k apart, last one baker about 20k ago. I thought it was the tensioner, so I went with hayden first time. Didn't help this, but did seem to take up vibrations and clatter, and I can run lower under 3k rpm.