Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disable old, missing or stolen FOB

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2017, 02:25 AM
Choppie
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Disable old, missing or stolen FOB

My wife recently lost her FOB and she has been using the spare since. We don't know when during the week it went missing or where it could have been lost.

As it bugs me that someone could have it and easily walk up to the bike and disable the security system, is it possible to recode or reprogram the the spare FOB with the security system to ensure the old FOB won't start the bike?

We'll probably also buy a new FOB as spare but I don't want 3 FOBS working on the same bike.

Old 08-22-2017, 06:19 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,334 Likes on 2,526 Posts

you can only have 2 fobs on the same bike. so if you buy the new fob and have the dealer program it, then the lost one should become ineffective.

Attached Thumbnails Disable old, missing or stolen FOB-capture.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
Choppie (08-22-2017)
Old 08-22-2017, 07:57 AM
Brewmany
Elite HDF Member
Received 658 Likes on 435 Posts

Originally Posted by Choppie
My wife recently lost her FOB and she has been using the spare since. We don't know when during the week it went missing or where it could have been lost.

As it bugs me that someone could have it and easily walk up to the bike and disable the security system, is it possible to recode or reprogram the the spare FOB with the security system to ensure the old FOB won't start the bike?

We'll probably also buy a new FOB as spare but I don't want 3 FOBS working on the same bike.
I wouldn't loose too much sleep over this. First, the person who finds it, would have to be a thief. Second, the person who finds the fob would have to know what it was and how it works. Third, if they did know, they'd have to walk up to every Harley they saw and see if did anything. Unless yours is the only one in the area or something. Fourth, they'd have to be a MC rider. Anyone could take your bike without a fob if they wanted it badly enough.

Seems like a real long shot to me. Especially since you don't know where you lost it.

Old 08-22-2017, 12:46 PM
RandyL
Road Captain
Received 99 Likes on 64 Posts

change the access code.... instructions in the manual

Old 08-22-2017, 02:21 PM
tOSUSteve
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by RandyL
What would that do? Working FOB doesn't need no stinking access code...

Old 08-22-2017, 02:24 PM
Ride my Seesaw
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,636 Likes on 760 Posts

The fob is preset and can't be changed. When buying a new fob the bike's security system is 'rekeyed' to match the new fob's different code thus making the old fob non operational to your bike.

The following users liked this post:
Choppie (08-22-2017)
Old 08-22-2017, 05:05 PM
RandyL
Road Captain
Received 99 Likes on 64 Posts

thanks for the info ElectraJim

Last edited by RandyL; 08-22-2017 at 05:36 PM. Reason: edit
Old 08-22-2017, 05:15 PM
ElectraJim
Road Warrior

Received 658 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by tOSUSteve
What would that do? Working FOB doesn't need no stinking access code...
read the manual...your logic is flawed.....

I have a working fob, according to your logic I can start any bike that has the hd security system?
You don't need a working FOB to start your bike if you know the security code and the procedure to start the it. Changing the access code doesn't affect the working FOB. The FOB is still married electronically to the security system

Best bet for the OP is to go purchase a new FOB and have the dealer program both of them to the bike thus rendering the lost FOB useless.

The following 2 users liked this post by ElectraJim:
Choppie (08-22-2017), RandyL (08-22-2017)
Old 08-22-2017, 05:20 PM
Choppie
Intermediate

Originally Posted by skratch
you can only have 2 fobs on the same bike. so if you buy the new fob and have the dealer program it, then the lost one should become ineffective.
Originally Posted by Ride my Seesaw
The fob is preset and can't be changed. When buying a new fob the bike's security system is 'rekeyed' to match the new fob's different code thus making the old fob non operational to your bike.
Thanks for the info guys...

So it would then assume if I had to buy a new fob the spare, currently being used, would have to be programmed again with the security system to ensure that isn't the one getting dropped?

Old 08-22-2017, 05:23 PM
Choppie
Intermediate
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by ElectraJim
You don't need a working FOB to start your bike if you know the security code and the procedure to start the it. Changing the access code doesn't affect the working FOB. The FOB is still married electronically to the security system

Best bet for the OP is to go purchase a new FOB and have the dealer program both of them to the bike thus rendering the lost FOB useless.
Thanks, I'll do that...

Quick Reply: Disable old, missing or stolen FOB