Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2 person tent

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2017, 09:22 PM
wis1
Cruiser
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Default 2 person tent

Looking for a tent for two people ( 340 lbs together), reasonably priced , probly use it once every three years as we are not the camping type ( getting to old ) , but this excursion calls for it ... Not gonna pull a trailer or other nonsense , needs to be easy to put up ( 12 pack time limit ) and fit in a tourpac . Thoughts ??

Old 08-18-2017, 09:29 PM
DaddyKnuck
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,664 Likes on 946 Posts

There are lots of premium brands that will last years for folks that go camping regularly. For someone that is getting older and only camps every three years or so, a Wally World Ozark Trail will cover you for a long time. I wouldn't try fitting your tent IN a Tourpack, it will probably only go in diagonally, and devour lockable space better used for other things. Much better idea to strap one to the luggage rack.

The following users liked this post:
flhxkiller (08-19-2017)
Old 08-18-2017, 09:57 PM
gordon derrick
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default red

wally world small cabin tenttents fit good on a rack cost is around 60 bucks I have two and that last a long time that even have small four man that fit in back packs I have one of them for short trips rather camp free then pay two much for nothing .

Old 08-18-2017, 10:41 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,970 Likes on 17,892 Posts

Only advice I'll pass on is you get what you pay for with tents. longest night I ever spent was in a cheap leaking one in Sturgis when the temps dropped.

You guys got some size to you look at a compact 4 man unit, you'll do much better trust me.

Old 08-18-2017, 10:59 PM
Low Down
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

A big +1 on getting what you pay for, also going for something larger than a 2 man tent. I use this for camping fast and light, even solo:

https://www.rei.com/product/878521/r...lf-dome-4-tent

It's great having two separate doors and vestibules, and it's always nice having extra space.

Old 08-18-2017, 11:07 PM
E8USMCRET
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 20,256 Likes on 6,547 Posts

I use a two man Marine Combat Tent by Eureka. Sleeps two and has a vestibule for your gear and a reversible rain fly. It packs nicely on a touring bike. I'm used to laying on the ground in confined spaces so this tent is home to me, others might prefer a tent you can stand in and other niceties. The inner tent is made out of a blackout material so you can have lights on inside and the enemy can't see you (if stealth camping is your thing).

Old 08-18-2017, 11:20 PM
StoneyFatBoy
Road Master
Received 130 Likes on 90 Posts

Why would your weight matter when buying a tent ?

Old 08-18-2017, 11:27 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,970 Likes on 17,892 Posts

Originally Posted by StoneyFatBoy
Why would your weight matter when buying a tent ?
Isn't about weight as much as available space and yeah it does matter when it cramped like a small tent.

Old 08-18-2017, 11:34 PM
RK4ME
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,316 Likes on 1,444 Posts

When I used to do a lot of cycle camping, I used a Eureka Timberline 2 person tent. My wife and I would put the tent and two sleeping bags in a duffel bag and strap it across the back of the bike. If I ever get back into that again, I'll find a Dome tent that I can stand up in.

Old 08-19-2017, 01:04 AM
LQQK_OUT
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,643 Likes on 1,121 Posts
Default REI Half Dome 2 Plus

I've been looking to get a new 2-man tent since there have been a few improvements or features in the newer tents that make them easier to live in. The features I was interested in are:
1. Ceiling vents on the fly
2. A more vertical sidewall for increased interior space and headroom

The plus sizing provides more room via an extended floor plan; it's 10 in. longer and 4 in. wider than the standard REI Half Dome 2

From the research I've done, the REI Half Dome 2+ seemed to fit the bill. Reviews were mostly positive, the tent has recently been redesigned with more features and the price is reasonable and you get the REI satisfaction guarantee.
I picked up the REI Half Dome 2+ in Oregano/Army Cot Green color.
I'd keep an eye out for the REI flyer since they typically have a sale around the Labor Day weekend and may have a 20% off coupon.

I used the new tent for a couple of days up at the East Coast Rally this month and it worked out great. Plenty of room. Ventilation in the fly works great. Two mesh pockets on the ceiling and a mesh pocket in each corner.

https://www.rei.com/product/878520/r...me-2-plus-tent

REI also offers a series of tents called the "Quarter Dome". These tents use a lighter weight fabric than the half dome tents. Personally, I was looking for a tent fabric that was durable, since weight is less of an issue when motocamping. Hence my preference of the half dome over the quarter dome for motocamping.

Quick Reply: 2 person tent