General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many ride alone???

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2017 | 05:18 PM
GHarris
Cruiser

I work a swing shift and have 8 days on a row off every month. I ride by myself 90% of the time just because I usually take trips during the week. I actually prefer it like that. I ride with my wife quite a bit on the weekends, she rides her own bike.

Old 08-17-2017 | 05:19 PM
Hey Man
Seasoned HDF Member

I mostly ride alone these days unless it's a club function. Most of the people I used to ride with have either gone under, moved on or quit riding. Since I don't drink that much these days I don't have much reason to visit bars and those that I used to go to have either closed up or are pretty boring because I don't know anybody there anymore.

"Everybody's so different, I haven't changed."

Old 08-17-2017 | 05:23 PM
Curt1953
Ultimate HDF Member

I used to ride with a group of friends. Now days seems like every stop was at biker bar where most of the guys would just dump down the drinks and a few would go off out of sight and smoke a bowl or two. Came too close to getting in crashes one to many times for me. I ride alone now, and a couple of them have the nerve to ask why.

Old 08-17-2017 | 05:41 PM
Mike Lawless
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by uklauren
I can't stand all this hanging around at gas stations while everybody gets on the phone, takes forever to pee etc. Plus I also get on the road early.
I ride alone. For many years, my wife said "No motorcycles." For most of our marriage, I was drag racing (4 wheel variety) so, at that time, it was not a battle worth fighting.

After she passed away in 2013, I got another bike. Then another and another. Buying and selling till I found what I really wanted.

I rode as a "coping mechanism." Dealing with her loss was the most difficult experience of my life. So, it was either ride or drink myself to death. (I did drink till I passed out every night for the first month or so after she passed. I finally woke up and shook it off).

I tried riding in groups, but like you pointed out in your post Lauren, the late starts, and hanging around at gas stations, etc., made a half day's worth of riding into an all day affair. Riding alone, you can ride on your own terms.

I'd be OK with riding with one or two others. I have a racing buddy who lives a couple hours away, and we get together a couple times a year to do a road trip. He's much like I am. Likes to get on the road early, not waste a bunch of time. When we do stop, it's for something enjoyable.

My new wife enjoys riding with me.....but not for too long. Right now for her, the idea of a long road trip is more enjoyable than the reality. It might be a while before we do a long road trip together

Old 08-17-2017 | 05:44 PM
timsmcm
Cruiser

I just did 450 miles to the north of ft worth. Just me, myself, and I . We all love to talk shyt to each other. Great day was had by all. Even had time to stop in and have a cigar at my favorite humidor Tobacco road in arlington.

Old 08-17-2017 | 05:48 PM
shorelasHD
Ultimate HDF Member

When I ride alone, I prefer to ride by myself...

Old 08-17-2017 | 05:48 PM
USMC2010
Tourer

I ride alone most of the time. It is rare that I ride with anyone but happens on occasion.

Old 08-17-2017 | 05:49 PM
beanoboy
Outstanding HDF Member

Yup lone rider here !...b.

Old 08-17-2017 | 05:55 PM
Crazy
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by shorelasHD
When I ride alone, I prefer to ride by myself...
Is your first name George?

OP: Like many people here, I ride both alone and with groups. I've ridden to every one of the states in my signature map by myself, and most of them with other riders at other times. Sometimes I'll jump on the bike on the weekend and do a four or five hundred mile day just for the hell of it. No big deal.

Old 08-17-2017 | 05:56 PM
WH1_T-type
Road Captain

I moved out into the mountains of San Diego County and am at the starting point for some of the best riding in SoCo...that being said, difficult to get people to come up here specifically to ride the roads as it is 50 miles just to get to my town. I find it odd though as every good weather weekend the town is flooded with older bikers, just people I don't know.

So yeah, I ride alone most of the time. I feel lucky when I can get my wife or kids on the back.

I may start asking to join the groups I see at Majors Diner in the mornings.

Quick Reply: How many ride alone???