General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many ride alone???

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2017 | 12:43 PM
DeeRides
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by uklauren
I'll ride in groups or alone, I have to ride alone to meet the groups!

I like solo riding for a long trip, I like to ride for as long as I want and stop for a short time. I can't stand all this hanging around at gas stations while everybody gets on the phone, takes forever to pee etc. Plus I also get on the road early.
Same for me. I enjoy riding with a trusted group of friends but there's nothing like getting out on my own. Even a day trip, I don't have to hang around while everyone visits at gas stations, check their phones, etc. Love long trips alone, whether it's just a day or weeks. I can set my own departure/arrival time, pace, route and anything else that strikes my fancy.

Last edited by DeeRides; 08-20-2017 at 12:46 PM.
Old 08-20-2017 | 12:49 PM
ScottinAZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

Ill do both. I ride with my HOG chapter about 1-2x a month, depending on destination, and fill it in between with solo runs, mostly in the local area. Both types of riding have their ups and downs. If I need/want to really clear my head, its gonna be solo.

When I was growing up, my dad had his pilots licence and we would just take off and fly somewhere for breakfast. Usually the HOG runs stop somewhere for food and some conversation, so I see that as a version of the pilots $100 breakfast run.

Old 08-20-2017 | 06:07 PM
EdsRoadGlide2017
Tourer

Originally Posted by sacdaddio
Every summer I take a 1-2 week excursion all by myself. Very little planning. Pack up camping gear and clothes. I'll decide general place I want to go, but go all by myself. I decide East,west,north,south; when to stop, when to eat; hotel or campground. No radio. Only me and my thoughts!

That is awesome!! It sounds like a perfect vacation!

Old 08-20-2017 | 10:40 PM
sacdaddio
Cruiser

Originally Posted by EdsStreetGlide2010
That is awesome!! It sounds like a perfect vacation!
It is...one of the benefits of being a teacher: 2 month summer vacation! Last year San Antonio, this year Utah. Next year Oregon, Washington, and maybe Idaho.

Old 08-20-2017 | 11:19 PM
johnnynitro
Cruiser

Most Always alone !

Old 08-21-2017 | 12:00 AM
Hopper.
Advanced

Mostly alone. Got one buddy who I know is a good rider I sometimes go with. Gave up on group rides since too many guys who don't know how to ride seem to be buying Harleys, running wide on corners, jamming the brakes on at the apex, running into the back of other bikes. Went on one local club ride and cars were overtaking us through the twisties, they were going that slow. No thanks.

All long trips alone. I like to travel at my own speed and route.

Last edited by Hopper.; 08-21-2017 at 12:02 AM.
Old 08-21-2017 | 12:15 AM
banddirector
Road Master

I used to ride with a small group of friends, but I can totally related to all who tire of the frequent stops for whatever, complaining about everything, etc. I started getting used to riding alone, and now whenever I ride in groups I regret it.

Old 08-21-2017 | 12:24 AM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Originally Posted by MajorKG
I ride alone most of the time, only group riding I do now is for charity and that is limited. I have only done two significantly long rides (2K and 5K miles) and was solo both times and mostly on back roads, county highways and small state hwys.

I don't hate people, just get tired of them and being alone on the bike allows me to regain my perspective.
like you, I prefer the roads less traveled. Also like you, people annoy me for the most part. I have a shirt that has a saying on it which could have been written just for me. It says, "I ride so I don't choke people".

Old 08-21-2017 | 04:23 AM
EdsRoadGlide2017
Tourer

Originally Posted by sacdaddio
It is...one of the benefits of being a teacher: 2 month summer vacation! Last year San Antonio, this year Utah. Next year Oregon, Washington, and maybe Idaho.
good on ya!!

Old 08-21-2017 | 06:23 AM
jamala00
Seasoned HDF Member

Have always ridden alone. Don't want to worry about anyone else or anyone else's plans.

Quick Reply: How many ride alone???