General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Setup Fees?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2005 | 01:30 AM
Chewy
|
Intermediate
Default Setup Fees?

So here goes... I'm buying a new street bob from my local dealer, they want msrp for the bike. They way I figure, the bike is 13480 (black denim), 275 for security sys., 100 for fuel inj., 275 for freight. That comes to 14130, now my O.T.D. price is about 16800 (inc. setup) according to salesman. Tax and licence is about 10% here in Cali, that comes to 15543. Now me and my salesman were just casually shooting the $hit, werent at desk with contract or anything yet (bike will arrive in dec.) and he said off the top of head they charge a setup fee or and assembly fee of 1200-1400 bucks, if you do the math, it comes out to 1257. Does this sound right? All the numbers make sense to me but im just not sure about 1200 dollars for set up.

Thanks in advance.

Old 10-13-2005 | 01:42 AM
Coaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Default RE: Setup Fees?

My dealer had a $450.00 delivery fee but I asked him to waive it and he did.

Old 10-13-2005 | 01:50 AM
mikeisglidn
Ultimate HDF Member

sounds like a lot of money to open a box.

Old 10-13-2005 | 01:51 AM
AceArt
Road Warrior

Sounds outrageous to me. My dealer's set-up fee (I'm pretty sure) was $150) although it may have been as high as $250 plus $75 to discard the crate. They threw in a full tank of gas, 2 T-Shirts. a picture calendar of me and my bike and since the weather turned really nasty, even delivered it for free. They also waive the installation charge on any parts I had put on the bike before delivery (excluding stage 1 stuff). That to me was fair. The bike was also at MSRP. I know that I have even read of people on this list getting even betteer deals!
I'd keep shopping, because I personally wouldn't trust this dealer not to jack you around on future service charges or at least I would phone other dealers and get quotes and use them as bargaining chips with your dealer.
There may not be many Street Bob's on the showfloor right now (particularly in denim), but it is still ordeering time and you can get whatever you want delivered in Jan - March.
Best of luck, Art

Old 10-13-2005 | 01:53 AM
Chewy
|
Intermediate

ORIGINAL: mikeisglidn

sounds like a lot of money to open a box.
Is that all they do?

Old 10-13-2005 | 01:58 AM
ecvjohn
Banned

No, they take it out of the box for you too.

Old 10-13-2005 | 09:17 AM
Twohulabears
Road Captain

I am not from California, but that sounds crazy! I don't think you should pay that.

Old 10-13-2005 | 09:23 AM
Grover
Administrator Emeritus
Veteran: Marine Corp

I checked your profile and you don't say where you are from.

There are MSRP dealers here in Cal.

Where do you live?

Old 10-13-2005 | 09:34 AM
HDF Tech
Banned

they charge a setup fee or and assembly fee of 1200-1400 bucks, if you do the math, it comes out to 1257. Does this sound right?

That's absolutely rediculous, It shouldn't be more than a couple hundred IF THAT. Why should we pay the dealer to set up a new bike when they are selling it to us as such. Then they turn around and charge us to do the paper work too? They make a very sizable profit on the unit and it should be at their cost to set it up and do the paper work. Negotiate with them or tell them you don't go along with that fee at all and you want to shop around. I think they will change their outlook. The bikes aren't selling like they were and you may be surprised at the results you get, especially in the time of year you are buying. At least make sure to get a kiss.

Call other dealers and see what they charge for setup before you sign the papers.

This is similar to dealer prep with cars. If i'm not mistaken, they have removed that fee for legal reasons. I buy a new car every other year and have been through the dealer prep issue many times and have never paid it once. Just tell them you're going to find a more reasonable dealer.

You're in the drivers seat now! Don't let them make you believe that they are.

Old 10-13-2005 | 09:39 AM
Boatman
Cruiser

You should only pay the options and freight. My local dealer says HD pays them for setting up and getting ready for delivery.

Quick Reply: Setup Fees?