General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Setup Fees?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2005 | 04:55 PM
Chewy
|
Intermediate
Default RE: Setup Fees?

This morning I made calls to my local 4 dealerships and everyones selling them at MSRP, and the best setup fee is 495, then 700, then 1200, then 1495. This is getting rediculous. I'm just gonna tell my dealer go 500 for setup or I'll get my deposit back. and to to the dealer who is 500. I can live with the MSRP plus 500 or 700 not the MSRP plus 1200 and up. When it comes to a couple hundred bucks, I start looking how much time and effort its worth, I just want the damn bike ya know?

Old 10-13-2005 | 05:26 PM
skos
Elite HDF Member

Barter with them

Old 10-13-2005 | 06:21 PM
HarleyWood
Outstanding HDF Member

This is a very timely post...I am shopping too.
My two local dealers charge $425 & $725 for setup.
I've heard that OKC is even worse..
I called a dealer in Stillwater (about an hour away) and its MSRP out the door, no funny bidness.
Edit to add >>>>a call to another dealer in Bartlesville (an hour the other way) and they quoted $870 under MSRP OTD. no hidden fees.
Denny

Old 10-13-2005 | 08:30 PM
Grover
Administrator Emeritus
Veteran: Marine Corp

Try Jamestown Harley.

Old 10-13-2005 | 09:35 PM
ecvjohn
Banned

Thread Hi Jack!!!!!

Grover what part of the state are you in?

Hi Jack over.... you may now continue with regularly scheduled posting.

Old 10-13-2005 | 10:50 PM
Grover
Administrator Emeritus
Veteran: Marine Corp

I live 30 miles east of Bakersfield.

Old 10-14-2005 | 12:09 AM
ecvjohn
Banned

I'm up just south of Sacramento, perhaps we'll pass on the road someday.

Old 10-14-2005 | 04:44 AM
AceArt
Road Warrior

I've never dealt with them but got on their e-mail list because a couple people told on the list what great deals that they go there. The name of the place is Benjy's Harley in West Virginia. Why not call them and get a quote. Take it to the dealers near you, don't say how far away it is, just say that you were talking to a dealer near where you're planning on vacationing and this is what they quoted you.
I understand the rationale that in managing a car agency that your time is more valuable than spending 5 or 6 hours trying to save $100 - $200.
BUT, how much is the story and the satisfaction worth. Besides, you have more than 2 weeks to meet your sales goals for the month. <G> Art

Old 10-14-2005 | 07:18 AM
Tonyp
Advanced

When I bought my Superglide I didn't pay any freight or set-up fees, just MSRP for the bike. That was in June and it was for an '05.

Old 10-14-2005 | 09:42 AM
HDF Tech
Banned

I'm just gonna tell my dealer go 500
If you say 500, they'll come back with 700, start around 350, they'll probably go for it, if not tell them they just lost the deal and head for the door. The ball is in our court now with the slacking sales on these bikes now. You can tell them you checked around and got much better prices and ask if they will explain why they are so much higher than others. Have these numbers written down on paper and produce them. You'll get more than you thought if you just try. If they don't go for it and you see that they are playing hard ball, then comes the "give me's". In other words, you tell them what it's going to take to sell you this bike. For instance, ......"I'd like a $1000 credit to purchase parts and accessories" or , "are you going to throw in an exteded warrantee for that price"?....etc. It costs them much less than face value for these "give me's" so you'll usually get them so don't go low here. A $1000 credit for parts and accessories COSTS them probably half of that before the mark up, but if it would make the sale, they'll usually go for it. There's a LOT of fat that can be trimmed on sales of these bikes. They make on average about $3000 on the sale, not counting the fat that's added on in the way of paperwork fees, setup fees etc. etc.

Geez, where do you live, I'll come out there and we'll work this dealer over and have some fun doing it. They all give the inpression that this is the best deal they can cut, but that's a whole lot of bunk. When you nail them to the wall, their attitude changes. After a session many years ago with the dealer where I buy my cars every other year, I have my regular salesman trained so I call him up when I'm ready, quote him what his invoice price is on the car, he already knows the condition of my trade which they do not have to even detail, I tell him i'm paying $1000 over his invoice and what he is paying me for my trade (which is usually $500 over KBB trade in value because my trade is like new with usually under 10,000 miles on it) and he asks when I would like to pick up the car. Then I usually get some extras thrown in (They average around $600) I pick it up the next day with no deposit given over tha phone. My last three trade in's were sold the next day according to this salesman. Origionally I went in with the print out of their invoice and a print out of the KBB trade in value as mentioned above. Once they see you know the game, the outcome changes for you.
The point I'm trying to make here is that the dealers want you to believe there is no movement in the prices when there is . You just have to learn their weak spots. Find another dealer if this one doesn't want to negotiate with you.

Quick Reply: Setup Fees?