General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Setup Fees?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2005 | 10:38 AM
nmfxstc
Road Master
Default RE: Setup Fees?

HD doesn't use crates that are discarded...the scoots come on an aluminum sled covered in shrink wrap and they are returned to the MoCo...they are feeding you a line on that discarding of a crate crap!

What "set up"? I took a look at my '05 FLHTCUI the day I bought it (I didn't "order" it...it was an arrival) and it had the windshiled off (three bolts, 2 minutes tops), the trunk was mounted backwards for shipping (10 minute 180 turn and a few bolts), and the antennas were shrink wrapped and taped to the sled (another 2 minute install).

The TC88 is EFI, the cables are set, there is nothing to "set up".

I negotiated saying I didn't "order" the bike....they did, so I declined to pay shipping/freight...they agreed. "Prep"? I asked if I could just "prep" it myself (install Synth 3 in all three holes and put in a gallon of fuel...I decided that since it was shrink wrapped, it really didn't need a wash/detail...agreed! No charges.

"Set up" should simply mean that the handlebars, levers, and footpegs de adjusted to your fit...and that should be a safety issue...no charge!

Figure it like this: Go to a meat market and tell the meat cutter you;d like a top sirloin, about a pound, cut 1 and 3/4" think with a 1/4" fat layer. He will cut the piece of meat, weigh it and wrap it, and out the door you go...he doesn;t charge for bringing in the carcus, cutting the steak, the wrapping....nothing...it costs the same as the piece of meat in the showcase.

If you didn't special order it and order a couple of grand in parts and associated shop time, there should be no fees for having that scoot ready to crank and roll. A dman T-shirt as an offset just don't cut it! And 1200 dckets equates to 17 shop hours (at $70/hour)...if you pay that, I hope you have multiple orgasms, cuz your are getting screwed!

Old 10-13-2005 | 11:34 AM
Mrkicks
Road Warrior

When I bought my bike there were no set up fees, the security system was included and out the door including tax and license I paid $12300.00 for my SuperGlide, that was about $1275.00 under MSRP. Shop around, nothing more dangerous than an educated consumer.

Kicks

Old 10-13-2005 | 03:52 PM
Chewy
|
Intermediate

Thanks alot for all the good info, I really want to pick up the bike in Dec. so I will probably make some calls in the meantime and see whos got one coming in around then. What I really want is, MSRP plus T & L, no setup fee, and a free delivery, no other hidden charges. That sounds like a fair deal to me and I dont have a problem paying MSRP for the bike as long as thats all there is to it.

I gotta tell ya its not easy shopping for a HD, I'm getting different answers from everybody about everything. I actually am in the car business for a living, and I've never had to go "car shopping", I can get any car I want well below invoice and the best rate, it seems to be a little different with a bike. No Kelley Blue Book, and there arent nearly the same amount of dealers around to shop for deals, and they know that lol. I'm not gonna nickel and dime the dealers, and try to beat so and so's deal by 100 bucks or anything,on the other hand I'm not gonna let the dealer take me deep. I just want a fair deal, quick and easy, no BS.

Thanks again

Old 10-13-2005 | 04:02 PM
Chewy
|
Intermediate

I'm from San Jose area, California

Old 10-13-2005 | 04:23 PM
streetbobjim
Cruiser

the same bike in the uk works out at $15399, on the road.which covers everything, even a full tank of gas, a years membership on HOG and full european breakdown and recovery service. The bike also has to be shipped half way round the world. Looks like some dealerships are just plain greedy. Try shopping around before parting with your cash

Old 10-13-2005 | 04:25 PM
Primo
Ultimate HDF Member

Chewy,

So you say you're in the car biz huh? Can you pass on some of those deals that you get?

If you can, maybe you should go straight to the sales manager, GM or even the owner of your local H-D dealer and try to strike a deal.

They help you on your ride and you help Mr. Sales Manager with a deal on a car for his daughter's 18th birthday or whatever.

Just a thought.

JC

P.S. Check out Stealers-Dealers.com for the lowdown on your local shops.

Old 10-13-2005 | 04:27 PM
SoftailMatt05
Cruiser

I'd walk, just on principal....

Old 10-13-2005 | 04:34 PM
ecvjohn
Banned

Chewy- There are a lot of dealers in your area or less then a couple hours out. Take a day and visit a few to see whats out there.

If you want a list let me know. Off the top of my head there are dealers in Oakland, SF, Corte Madera, Novato, Cotati (Santa Rosa Area),Vallejo, Vacaville, there are six dealers in the Sacramento Area that all compete with each other. Hell if you want I'll check out the dealers up here for you, let me know.

Old 10-13-2005 | 04:35 PM
Wolf
Road Captain

This isn't a difficult issue. He who has the money, has the power. There are a gazillion HD dealerships that want your business and too many that don't. Buy the bike from honest and reasonable people! Over and out.

Old 10-13-2005 | 04:49 PM
Fatbernie
Road Captain

This idea of supply and demand, especially demand, is giving the "stealers" way too much power and money control. Having said that, my bike came with one price. Everything included. Take it or leave it. And I decided to take it. Set-up, delivery, gas, first 1000 mile service, and no new t shirt or decal or nothing.
BA

Quick Reply: Setup Fees?