General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Its pays to shop around...

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2017 | 07:23 PM
Capt Steve
|
Road Captain
Red face Like the man said, opinions vary...

Originally Posted by checkers
I have purchased 7 tires from DK over the past 8 years. They have all been "fresh" , lowest price and delivered promptly.
I ride about 8K a year, I wouldn't think twice about mounting an 11 month old tire stored in a box.
DK is my first go to place for motorcycle parts and maint items. Has been since 2005. Fair price and in stock. Their website is one of the best I have ever used, after you get used to it. For apparel and helmets, free returns and all items are sent to consumer with a return label. Easy peasey.

As noted I had no major problem mounting a year old tire as I will wear it out in less than a year but that is NOT what I specifically ordered and paid for. Would you be happy buying a 5 year battery only to find that it is a year old?

Their website is a joke, after three attempts to order my tire and each ending with the site showing my order as a white wall vs the black wall I actually ordered I had to call in my order. This gave me the opportunity to insist on a fresh tire, for all the good it did... Clearly this is how DK does business, you pays your money and takes your chances.

I have no doubt that you have had a good experience with DK. The problem lies in the fact that your experience is not assured. Dealing with DK clearly involves rolling the dice and I simply will no longer play.

I have been rudely lied to repeatedly, found ridiculously high prices {Vance and Hines FP3 Fuelpak Tuner - Eastern Performance Cycles $299 - DK - $399} and an absurd lack of customer service on three separate occasions. Like I said, three strikes and you are out. I can only assume that they stay in business by treating most folks far better than they have treated me but since I am nothing special anyone dealing with them is just as likely as I to be screwed.

As always.... Opinions and YMMV.

Old 08-23-2017 | 06:42 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member

I shop Direct Cycle Parts first, then Dennis Kirk, then several others. With regard to hard parts (Fp3) Direct Cycle has been lower on these kind of parts then anyone.
If I am ever treated rude, I don't go back a second time.
If I find website inaccurate or difficult, I don't go back a second time.

Old 08-23-2017 | 07:05 PM
chamokie
Supporter

FWIW, I have bought many tires from Motorcycle super store. Never an issue, always fresh rubber. Give them a shot at your $$ next time.

Old 08-24-2017 | 04:47 AM
Bart van der Meulen
Road Master

I have used a couple of tyres on my bikes and maybe I can be of any tribute to this discussion. The choices of replacing tyres are limited: the dealer, non-dealers and specialized tyre shops. At present 'on line' as well. The dealer has his limitations, he is bound to the brand the MoCo has a contract with. And the dealer's brand is not automatically the best and for sure not the cheapest. The non-dealers have the advantage to have more choice, although they are commercially bound to several brands. More choice and often the best price. On line I will never buy tyres, the need to be mounted as well and the dealer refused to do so (understandable). The commercial specialized motorcycle tyre shops have the best choice and the best advice, based on their long-term experience and can advice a brand and type based on their previous experiences. They also mount for a couple op dollars, mounting is mostly part of the sales price. I went in the past for the non-dealer but since there are several specialized motorbike tyre shops I have choosen to go for them when I have to change tyres on my Limited. But besides, the present factory tyres are after 13k miles still in rather good conditions, beyond my expectations. They are only 'half way' the acceptable wear limit, which can honestly be called 'excellent'.

Old 08-24-2017 | 06:22 AM
yooperbigdog
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Capt Steve
As noted I had no major problem mounting a year old tire as I will wear it out in less than a year but that is NOT what I specifically ordered and paid for. Would you be happy buying a 5 year battery only to find that it is a year old?

Their website is a joke, after three attempts to order my tire and each ending with the site showing my order as a white wall vs the black wall I actually ordered I had to call in my order. This gave me the opportunity to insist on a fresh tire, for all the good it did... Clearly this is how DK does business, you pays your money and takes your chances.

I have no doubt that you have had a good experience with DK. The problem lies in the fact that your experience is not assured. Dealing with DK clearly involves rolling the dice and I simply will no longer play.

I have been rudely lied to repeatedly, found ridiculously high prices {Vance and Hines FP3 Fuelpak Tuner - Eastern Performance Cycles $299 - DK - $399} and an absurd lack of customer service on three separate occasions. Like I said, three strikes and you are out. I can only assume that they stay in business by treating most folks far better than they have treated me but since I am nothing special anyone dealing with them is just as likely as I to be screwed.

As always.... Opinions and YMMV.
Damn I have a feeling you don't post or say many GOOD thing's about anyone you have done business with, I bet DK would like you to not order from them again also, I just ordered a $500. seat from them Monday got it wed (great service) maybe I should check build date tho...........

Old 08-24-2017 | 07:48 AM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by chamokie
FWIW, I have bought many tires from Motorcycle super store. Never an issue, always fresh rubber. Give them a shot at your $$ next time.
I usually buy 6 tires at a shot, saving an add'l 15%. Sometimes, they don't get mounted for a year...

Sometimes, I'll go thru 3 tires in a day....

Old 08-24-2017 | 07:57 AM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member

DK is my Go To supplier. I agree, their website could use some tweaking. The search is a joke. It rarely works for me. The way I find things is I'll Google search a part number or description and add "Dennis Kirk". Then it pops right up. Also, their descriptions can be off as the OP noted. I bought Progressive 444s form them. I wanted black, and the part number per Progressive indicated black. But the product description by DK said chrome. So I called them and they assured me they were black, despite what the description said. Hopefully they did some editing.

I have a set of tires due to arrive from them today in fact. Along with a slew of other stuff. I've never had an issue, and when I get a defective part (like a CD led light pod), they took care of me quickly by sending a replacement part no charge immediately.

On tire dates, never give it a thought. And I've never had an issue. Not that I think it's wrong to consider the manufactured date. I guess I just figured I was buying from a business that turns around a lot of product so my chances of getting "new" were better.

Last edited by nevada72; 08-24-2017 at 08:48 AM.
Old 08-24-2017 | 08:09 AM
PPBART
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by checkers
...I wouldn't think twice about mounting an 11 month old tire stored in a box...
"When I ordered I specifically told them not to send me a stale tire nothing over 90 days" -- seems a bit silly to me, and probably to the dealer too.

Old 08-24-2017 | 08:43 AM
ngshop
Road Master

OP, just out of curiosity had you gotten a "fresh" tire, mounted and rode for 2k miles. Let's assume for some reason (illness) you were unable to ride for 2 or three years, when you were able to resume riding...... would you throw tire in trash and install a new one? You strike me as someone different. Whatever makes you feel good.

Old 08-24-2017 | 06:03 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by PPBART
"When I ordered I specifically told them not to send me a stale tire nothing over 90 days" -- seems a bit silly to me, and probably to the dealer too.
PPB, I did read that. I would guess they noted that, but when the computers start rolling that likely got missed. Just guessing.

Quick Reply: Its pays to shop around...