General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I need opinions on a possible trade for a '72 FLH. Pics!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2017 | 02:01 PM
Kayakguy
|
Road Captain
Default I need opinions on a possible trade for a '72 FLH. Pics!!!

So I have had a really nice '07 KLR up on craigslist for trade just to see what's out there. It has about 10K on the odometer and is completely farkeled with all the best stuff including Cogent suspension.

The problem is I have a '16 GSA that I am riding all the time and the KLR is just sitting unless I make it a point to ride it. So, I want a Shovel. And after four months I had two different offers on the same day. One for an Evo wideglide and one that really interests me, a 1972 FLH. I will likely see it in person this week.

The fellow and I have talked on the phone several times and basically he is getting older and is looking to get rid of the weight and he has been looking at KLR's for several years.

Here is what I know. The bike runs well and can be ridden today but the battery is weak so don't shut it off and it is going to need a new starter gear as it takes a moment to catch. He has the starter gear but hasn't put it on. The bike is he is guessing 80% original and I think he is right honestly. The paint is wrong, the carb, and the controls. Big 'Ol dent in the tank. Wrong seat.

Now admittedly I have an old bike fascination and already have two projects. One being and Ironhead and one a T120. But I think what appeals to me on this is I can freshen it up a bit and just ride the damn thing and not do a complete tear down on day one. Of which I am not a professional mechanic, but I manage. I do own a paint shop (though not auto body) so that's convenient.

What I don't want is for my emotional reactions to push me into a stupid move. But I don't believe financially it would be that stupid as I think the shovelhead would be more marketable if it ever came to that.

I cross posted this up on another forum that isn't brand specific but wanted to see what the Harley fans opinions are. Regardless, let's hear what you think.

Old 08-14-2017 | 02:30 PM
6 gun
Seasoned HDF Member

No one can decide this for you, "I wish that I could, but I cant." You have to figger, what is this worth to you and go for it.

Old 08-14-2017 | 02:46 PM
LoneWoolf
Stellar HDF Member

GSA as in BMW? Well, there's your problem. You own two bikes that do the same thing.

You need a bike that is the complete opposite from what you have. If the shovel does it for you, go for it. Personally, although old myself, I don't want any old bike that is going to leave me in the middle of BF Egypt. Ride on.

Old 08-14-2017 | 03:05 PM
Kayakguy
|
Road Captain

Originally Posted by LoneWoolf
GSA as in BMW? Well, there's your problem. You own two bikes that do the same thing.

You need a bike that is the complete opposite from what you have. If the shovel does it for you, go for it. Personally, although old myself, I don't want any old bike that is going to leave me in the middle of BF Egypt. Ride on.
Yea a BMW and that is exactly the problem. We actually have a few others as well. '74 XLCH project, '65 Triumph T120 project, '79 Vespa, and a 2017 Ural.

What I don't want is another major project as I am deep into the Ironhead. I would eventually restore the shovel I think but for awhile just deal with the mechanical issues as they arise and ride it with the character it has.

I just don't want to walk into a bomb. But from the pics, which never tell everything, it looks pretty decent. As well I feel like there is a rising demand for shovelheads.

Old 08-14-2017 | 03:11 PM
DaddyKnuck
Extreme HDF Member

What's your KLR worth? Hard to say from looking at the pictures how deep a money pit the Shovel would be.

Old 08-14-2017 | 03:13 PM
Kayakguy
|
Road Captain

The KLR would be around 4-4.5k with the suspension. But in all likelihood I would need to pull some of the add-ons and sell them separately to get top dollar out of everything, so there is the added aggravation of that.

I could probably sell the KLR as is quickly for $3500

Old 08-14-2017 | 03:15 PM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member

Dent in tank, ripped seat, clutch cable hanging in the air, outdoor storage on dirt under a carport in a damp environment. Plan on a lot of nickle and dime on an old bike like that. Glad you have the BMW, this one wont be ridden every day. Inspect the VIn and title carefully.

Old 08-14-2017 | 04:07 PM
Nokkon Wud
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

Nothing sounds better than a shovelhead!
There are 3 of them in my garage right now with a 4th coming soon.

Old 08-14-2017 | 04:27 PM
6 gun
Seasoned HDF Member

That 72 FLH looks so much like a switchback it is unreal maybe I can find a great CL deal on a switchback some day, and start my last bike build.

Old 08-14-2017 | 04:29 PM
Windseeker
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force

Is that one of the ones that came with a huge white seat?

Quick Reply: I need opinions on a possible trade for a '72 FLH. Pics!!!