General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just got back from first time at Sturgis

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2017, 12:12 PM
T Man
Road Captain
Received 64 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Just got back from first time at Sturgis

Despite having been riding for many years, I hadn't been to Sturgis until this year. A group of us went for the last five days, had a 600 mile ride each way to get there. We camped about 25 miles from Sturgis.

We rode all day every day, loved all the towns we went through and how it seemed every town in the area was as much a part of the rally as Sturgis itself. Scenery was awesome, and for me living in a very prairie environment it was nice to have lots of hills and curves to ride on for a change. We did iron mountain and the needles, I'm not going to lie that was a bit nerve-racking at first not being used to that type of riding. About as extreme cornering as you can get, blind corners on top of it. The gate worker at the start of the needles told us there had been 30 accidents this year, some of them very serious. What bothered me most in the needles was thinking that if a car comes around a blind corner and is over the center line on that narrow road you are toast even if you are riding perfectly. We came across one couple on two bikes, where the woman had used her front brake while cornering downhill and her bike went down on her right leg. We helped her husband get the bike off of her, she was ok just shaken up.

In Sturgis it was quite something to do the famous ride down main street, and we were there later in the week so you could actually ride the bike rather than walk it. Of course went to many of the known stops.

We stopped at the HD dealer in Rapid City, I have never been to a dealer even remotely as large as that one. The amount of different vendors on the lot was unbelievable, every possible accessory and modification you could think of.

Overall very good trip, I will go back. For any who haven't been I would highy recommend going with someone who has been many times, we did and it was good to have someone who knew where they were going and the things to see. I would also suggest making sure you are very comfortable with very slow tight-corner riding on up and downhill slopes before going in to the needles or iron mountain.

Last edited by T Man; 08-14-2017 at 02:23 PM.
The following users liked this post:
lionsm13 (08-17-2017)
Old 08-14-2017, 12:19 PM
harleycharlie1992
Unofficial HDF Chaplain
Received 15,892 Likes on 4,968 Posts

Glad you had a great time! I went back in 03. Had a blast, saw most everything, even some things I wish I didn't see! Glad I went, but I don't think I'll go back. Once was enough for me.

Old 08-14-2017, 12:22 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,075 Likes on 2,558 Posts

Sounds like a great time. But if I lived 500-600 miles away, instead of 1200, I'd go ever other year instead of never.

The following 2 users liked this post by ChickinOnaChain:
NCBANDIT (08-14-2017), Wraith04 (08-19-2017)
Old 08-14-2017, 12:26 PM
Colorado Mac
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 359 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by harleycharlie1992
Glad you had a great time! I went back in 03. Had a blast, saw most everything, even some things I wish I didn't see! Glad I went, but I don't think I'll go back. Once was enough for me.
Same here - went in 2011. It was interesting & can check it off the bucket list, but not enough of a draw to make me want to go back. But, I don't like big crowds and prefer riding with only one or two friends.

The following 2 users liked this post by Colorado Mac:
Joe Mc (08-14-2017), Wraith04 (08-19-2017)
Old 08-14-2017, 12:31 PM
DaveE
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,035 Likes on 879 Posts

1500 miles one way for me. Maybe when I retire.

Old 08-14-2017, 12:36 PM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,270 Likes on 1,976 Posts

Glad to hear that you had a great time. When I went in 2011, it was the first time for both of us, so I kind of have an idea of how you felt, it was a great adventure and I can can say that I've been there, done that.

Old 08-14-2017, 12:38 PM
jamala00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,701 Likes on 2,773 Posts

Been riding HD for a long time and bikes in general since I can remember. Have no interest in Sturgis. Wouldn't mind checking out the area at some point, but not when Sturgis is going on.

The following users liked this post:
Joe Mc (08-14-2017)
Old 08-14-2017, 12:44 PM
Spider0408
Banned
Received 252 Likes on 131 Posts

Not very crowded this year. Seems it gets less as time goes on. Almost all motels had vacancy or rooms available all week. Very high prices though. Weather was excellent. Not too hot. Not cold. A rare rain shower here and there once in a while. Noticed a lot of trikes this year. And the bikers seem to get older as time goes by. A long ride from KY, 1300 miles each way. It's a shame that our roads in America are in such bad shape. Bumps, holes, and bad surfaces all over the place.

Old 08-14-2017, 01:08 PM
Knutson Boltz
Banned
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

I rode from east Tennessee, the only bad road I encountered was going thru Illinois I-74 bumps so bad it bounced me off my seat and knocked off the cruise control, apparently that happens when your rear tire loses contact with the surface, friendly women, the locals not the beer winches. Ate the best ribeye steak at a bar in Wasta, SD. 2" thick and big as a dinner plate. Wasta is 11 miles west of Wall, SD right off I-90, Friday and Saturday nites 6-9 pm.
Wasted in Wasta is their motto.

Old 08-14-2017, 01:15 PM
mike in dallas
Road Master
Received 87 Likes on 69 Posts

Spent the night in Deadwood last June. I Would never go during the Rally. We would like to return to ride the whole area at some point ( we were on our way back from Yellowstone). Went to one Rally and was bored real quick.
Too many people for me. Plus were not really much into drinking. But sounds like you had a great time!

Quick Reply: Just got back from first time at Sturgis