General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just got back from first time at Sturgis

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2017, 01:18 PM
Curt1953
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Spider0408
Not very crowded this year. Seems it gets less as time goes on. Almost all motels had vacancy or rooms available all week. Very high prices though. Weather was excellent. Not too hot. Not cold. A rare rain shower here and there once in a while. Noticed a lot of trikes this year. And the bikers seem to get older as time goes by. A long ride from KY, 1300 miles each way. It's a shame that our roads in America are in such bad shape. Bumps, holes, and bad surfaces all over the place.
The live Web Cams even showed it not very crowded. I think last Wednesday was the only day Main St. was backed up.

Old 08-14-2017, 01:25 PM
Tat2dale
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I have been going to Sturgis off and on over several years, and have been there for the last 6 years in a row.
This year I thought there was the least amount of people there from as far back as I can remember. What was there, in my opinion, was a heavy police presence that were pulling people over for any little thing. Maybe it was because there was not alot of people there and they needed to make there quota for infractions,just a guess.
The riding there is fantastic and is even better when the rally is not on.
I have always said Sturgis is what YOU make of it and can be anything you want. I love it there.

The following users liked this post:
Livewire69 (08-16-2017)
Old 08-14-2017, 01:35 PM
Lude-a-tick
Road Master
Received 565 Likes on 309 Posts

I've been there a few times and still find new roads to explore each time I go back. While riding Needles in "12" the group I was riding with came upon a Tour Bus. My first thought was how in the hell did he get that thing here, I mean it took the entire road up.

Old 08-14-2017, 01:43 PM
boojum
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Did Sturgis/Black Hills this year a day or two before the official start. Great riding and weather. In hindsight, would have liked to stay another day or three to see a few more things in the area, as well as get just a little better taste of the spectacle that is the Rally before getting the heck out of there.

Knutson Boltz (08-14-2017)
Old 08-14-2017, 01:44 PM
FLASH1970
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3,168 Likes on 1,162 Posts

I was there in 2015 with some friends. it was busy, lots of backed up traffic. still did iron mtn, needles, ride to the devils tower, badlands... the plan is to go a week or two before the rally next time to avoid some of the traffic.

Old 08-14-2017, 01:55 PM
victory11
Road Warrior
Received 700 Likes on 399 Posts

The wife and I go to the Hills in Sept. Nice weather and we almost have the area to ourselves. We stay in Hill City and go different places everyday. The people are nice and the restaurants are not crowded. It is safe, easy going riding.

Old 08-14-2017, 01:57 PM
son of the hounds
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,696 Likes on 1,369 Posts

It is 1200 miles on I-90 from my house to Sturgis. I never have made it to or from Sturgis in less that 1400 miles. Glacier, Yellowstone, Beartooth, Lolo etc all make their way into our ride. For us, iIt is about the trip and not the destination. It is a Western thing. Three days to get there, 3 days to get home and 3-4 days there. One for Sturgis and concerts, 3 for riding and exploring. We do have friends who bomb I-90 straight there and back. Not for me. They get 2 extra days at Sturgis for doing the freeway grind as miss all the great rides. Depends if you want to party or ride. Both ways during the Black Hills Rally is Sturgis.
One year we rode back after Sturgis week to do the rides, pigtail. iron mtn, needles hwy, spearfish, etc. The riding was a blast and no traffic. We got rooms at cheap prices with no reservations. But it was not Sturgis. Sturgis is bike week. I understand the less materialistic and those who don't need the concerts or main street. But you ought to do the Black Hills Rally at least once.
I am always pleased when I see someone's post about their first trip to Sturgis. It is a life worthy event. It matters not if you do 600+ miles days to get there or three or 4 400 mile days. We've done 650 one year and 750 another year to get home just because we ate up the days elsewhere.

Old 08-14-2017, 02:27 PM
T Man
Road Captain
Received 64 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Curt1953
The live Web Cams even showed it not very crowded. I think last Wednesday was the only day Main St. was backed up.
Some of the people I was with, who have gone almost every year for the last 20 years, said that it's common after an anniversary year like the 75th for the numbers to be down for the following couple of years. I was fine to have fewer people, there were still plenty and you could find seating at the various places in town. I was also glad it wasn't crazy hot, it was 70-80 which for me is perfect.

Curt1953 (08-14-2017)
Old 08-14-2017, 02:32 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,770 Likes on 2,533 Posts

Went there in '07, really enjoyed the rides in and around the Black Hills. Saw something different every day, two up on the SuperGlide and the bike ran perfect. We shared my brothers toy hauler and stayed in Hill City KOA, nice place, in middle of most rides. There were 6 family members on that trip and usually 6 bikes in a group. Down side, BIL home built bike kept having breakdowns in the worst places. And he's one that won't listen to ideas on what's wrong.

Old 08-14-2017, 02:43 PM
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,239 Likes on 6,718 Posts

Been to Daytona Florida, Leesburg Florida, Rolling Thunder in DC and Laconia NH. Hopefully, Sturgis is in the future. Glad to heard you had a fantastic time.

Quick Reply: Just got back from first time at Sturgis