General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Passed the MSF today!

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2017 | 09:09 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member

We have riders that have ridden "hundreds of thousands of miles", take the BRC, and still learn something.

As others have said, "Practice your skills, as they are perishable."

Old 08-14-2017 | 09:54 PM
rv7garage
Road Master

I remember the day I passed mine - got a perfect score on the classroom work and on the riding range! Was a great day

Congrats

Old 08-15-2017 | 12:58 AM
hd_usa
Tourer

Congrats ! The MSF class is worth every single penny !

I need to get a few cones out and practice ... it has been a while.

Old 08-15-2017 | 01:13 AM
SedonaSG
Novice

Best thing I ever did!! My first bike was a 2006 Sportster XL1200 and when I finally got my endorsement I would ride it up and down my "cresent" shaped road until one day some old crotchety lady at the end of the road called the cops on me because she didn't think I had a license! Luckily, I wasn't that dumb!

I still tell myself the "push down left to turn left and push down right to turn right" sometimes!

Old 08-18-2017 | 06:04 PM
slhanks4
Road Warrior

When I started riding again in 2007, I took the MSF course because it seemed to be a better way to get a motorcycle endorsement. I was glad I did, because after not having ridden for 25 years, I was maybe a bit rusty. My point is, it wouldn't hurt anyone to take the course.

Old 08-18-2017 | 06:07 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by SedonaSG
Best thing I ever did!! My first bike was a 2006 Sportster XL1200 and when I finally got my endorsement I would ride it up and down my "cresent" shaped road until one day some old crotchety lady at the end of the road called the cops on me because she didn't think I had a license! Luckily, I wasn't that dumb!

I still tell myself the "push down left to turn left and push down right to turn right" sometimes!
Try pressing "forward" instead of "down." You'll find a lot less force is needed to accomplish the same result.

Old 08-19-2017 | 07:55 AM
rjo3491
Road Master

July '08 for me. Was either a Motorcycle or a pilot's license. I figured I'd get more enjoyment out of the former.......though if the financials hold out, I still might do the latter!

Old 08-19-2017 | 09:28 AM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force

Originally Posted by aGoodRogering
Just wanted to share my success today and let anyone know that if you are thinking about getting into motorcycles but you've never touched a bike before, you should consider the MSF course. The class was great and it gives you an opportunity to learn critical skills on someone else's bike.

Looks like I'll be sitting by my mailbox until I get my card in the mail.
Congrats.... smartest thing to do.... start with a clean slate, and learn from those with skills....
a FAR cry from "my lessons:
Jimmy opens fridge and takes out 2 beers
We walk outside, and open the beers...
This is the foot brake - this is the clutch - this is the shifter, down one for first, up for 2,3,4 - This is your front brake... NEVER touch it or you'll go flying over the handle bars (We'll remove first chance). here is HOW you start the bike (retarding timing) and how to kick start the bike
Then Jimmy sat down in the shade, and instructed me to kick start the bike....

98% of what I was told was BS... but that's what he believed, and that is what he had been told....

Times have changed, and most of the BS that we believed, and passed along to subsequent generations, is no longer even THOUGH... let alone said

Old 08-19-2017 | 10:17 AM
rv7garage
Road Master

Originally Posted by rjo3491
July '08 for me. Was either a Motorcycle or a pilot's license. I figured I'd get more enjoyment out of the former.......though if the financials hold out, I still might do the latter!

I have both. Flying is a serious money pit. Stay safe either way!

Old 08-19-2017 | 02:55 PM
fish-r-ride
Tourer

Times have changed since I got my motorcycle license at the ripe old age of 15 in Houston in the early '70s. I got my MSC on gulf freeway, loop 610, telephone road, old Galveston Rd, and wayside when I got feeling I was indestructible.

Quick Reply: Passed the MSF today!