General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A different kind of helmet thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2018 | 10:20 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member

Originally Posted by rhuff
Most will deny it, but it's usually about vanity and image. Fitting in with everyone else.

I started wearing a helmet last year while in MN (no helmet) state for the first time in 15 years and 125K miles of riding. Full face. Glad I started too.

I always say, wearing a helmet is like fVcking with a condom....it's not nearly as fun, but it's a heck of a lot safer.
That part of my life went out the window the first time I through a leg over one these things 47 years ago and I've been chasing the rabbit ever since. I wanted safe I wouldn't ride one...

Personal choice, it's what make this country great. We all have our own idea's about how and what and it's a great thing to exercise isn't it ?

Old 02-20-2018 | 02:42 AM
rhuff
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
That part of my life went out the window the first time I through a leg over one these things 47 years ago and I've been chasing the rabbit ever since. I wanted safe I wouldn't ride one...

Personal choice, it's what make this country great. We all have our own idea's about how and what and it's a great thing to exercise isn't it ?
Agreed. I don't like mandatory helmet laws, although I do think there should be xxx $ attached to your insurance policy to help cover it- I know this is how some states work. Seems reasonable.

Old 02-20-2018 | 05:28 AM
StoneTrekker
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by rhuff
Agreed. I don't like mandatory helmet laws, although I do think there should be xxx $ attached to your insurance policy to help cover it- I know this is how some states work. Seems reasonable.

I'm square with that. I think informed people should be able to make their own decisions and take acceptable (to them) risks. If their risks get them hurt or killed it's on them...and their families. I figure if you or I ride without a helmet and suffer a lasting head injury it shouldn't be up to the taxpayer to foot our medical bills. Accountability is what's needed.

I've ridden with and without a helmet. I much prefer one and really always have. We (wife and I) wear a half helmet in hotter weather. Just bought a couple Shoei J Cruise helmets and really like their fit. I'll probably never ride again (at speed anyway) without a helmet. I spent a lot of years working ERs and have seen the fragility of many human skulls exposed to impacts at speed.

Old 02-20-2018 | 06:19 AM
sportglide
Cruiser

Helmets have saved my life (as I know it) at least five times - never leave home without one. Only thing worse than being dead is being brain dead but kept alive on life support.
Dress for the slide (or the unknown) not the ride.

Old 02-20-2018 | 08:03 AM
Redoilokie
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker

That's always been my take on it as well. Still, I'm surprised at the number of communists that believe that not only do they know what's best for me, but they intend to see it enforced as well.

Old 02-20-2018 | 09:11 AM
dceggert
Road Master

The most extreme case of rider personal safety 'out the window' I have ever encountered was actually in Ohio and the two people in question were on a sportbike.

I was on Highway 2 east of Toledo near the State Park on the bay. I had just left the area and was heading west on 2 when I approached a light where another bike was waiting for the green. On said bike were two young folk either late teens or early 20's. Rider was male with blonde hair, passenger was a female (all I remember because listening to the rider talk caused me to see 'red'). The only thing either were wearing were bathing suits. No helmet, no eye protection, no gloves, no shirts, no shoes...not even sandals like I see some wear. I was on my BMW R1200GS at the time with my riding jacket, overpants, boots, gloves, and modular helmet. The rider said "look hunny, what an *******." Light turned green and off they went at a high rate of accel.

It was hot out...I was hot...my first impression was these two were crazy but after the comment I was really hoping the two never breed....

Last edited by dceggert; 02-20-2018 at 11:17 AM.
Old 02-20-2018 | 09:46 AM
jonuphi
Tourer

rode without helmet for years,about 8 yrs ago i told the better half we were going helmet shoping,,less than 2 weeks later i was sitting on the curb flicking asphault off my new helmet.I have no idea if i would still be here today or not without a helmet but don't leave home without my helmet,prefer a modular my self

Old 02-20-2018 | 10:40 AM
Rolo
Advanced

I'm claustrophobic. Riding with a FF is as enjoyable as riding with a fresh hemorrhoid for me. Yes, I know the joy of both, and it is a legitimate comparison.

Old 02-20-2018 | 11:15 AM
Veekness
Elite HDF Member

The day I went down on my bike for the first time, it was chilly, and both my wife and I chose to wear our modular helmets. After the event, the wife threw them both away... they did their jobs! From that point forward, we wear full face or modular ALL the time. And that's actually pretty common in our area of SoCal these days...FF on touring bike.

We also wear leather or armored textile. Another lesson learned.

Old 02-20-2018 | 11:23 AM
Nokkon Wud
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

Anyone ever get vertigo with a FF? On long highway runs it happens to me. It's not real bad but enough that I notice it and do not like it at all. I bought the helmet to try a FF.
This is the helmet.

Attached Thumbnails A different kind of helmet thread-13483298_1132506240105707_5926031874881922144_o.jpg  

Quick Reply: A different kind of helmet thread