General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A different kind of helmet thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2017 | 08:41 PM
dDavid
Tourer

You gotta prioritize

Attached Thumbnails A different kind of helmet thread-img_7270.jpg  
Old 08-10-2017 | 09:15 PM
blackxpress
|
Road Master

Not sure I'm buying the logic about years of experience and confidence, etc. I've been riding since 1976 and have confidence in my abilities but I don't know but what I was a better rider back then. I am a lot more careful these days. I used to have two position wrist disease but I was a very good rider and my reflexes were much sharper than they are now. I wore a helmet because it was the law, not because I didn't trust my riding abilities. I've been driving since 1974, much of it professionally, but I always buckle up. I used to think seatbelt laws were an intrusion on my liberty (still do actually) and never buckled up. I had all the standard rationalizations (uncomfortable, restrictive, don't want to be trapped in the car in a wreck...). But I finally got with the program and these days I don't roll a wheel without my seatbelt. A seatbelt saved my life when I totaled my Corvette in 2009. In 41 years of riding I've rolled an awful lot of miles and never had a serious accident but who's to say I won't have one tomorrow? When I wrecked my Vette it was all my fault. A momentary lapse of concentration and my seatbelt and airbags kept me from dying that night. Why should motorcycling be any different? There is no question helmets save lives. Good, experienced riders can still have accidents as can good experienced drivers. Man I miss that Corvette. What a sweet ride.

Old 08-10-2017 | 11:01 PM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Bikeagraman
Oh, oh. I suggest that you'd better stop riding soon. At this rate, you will end up riding in your birthday suit!

Old 08-11-2017 | 08:05 AM
Roadrage1996
Tourer

Originally Posted by MidnitEvil
I am with CyGlide on this. When I rode sport bikes, I was pretty sure I was going to crash because I was very much pushing the limits of the bike every chance I had. I just don't do anything near that on my Harley.

What is probably somewhat unusual is I *was* involved in what could have been a very serious wreck on a sport bike. I was doing well over 100 mph, and I walked away with a few minor injuries because I was wearing a FF helmet and all the gear. In spite of that, I am still OK with getting on my Harley in a T-shirt, jeans and boots. I do that because I enjoy riding that way, experience all of being in the wind.

I don't preach either way. Everyone rides their own ride.
I couldn't have said it any better. I also have very similar ridding history and I always was happy when I got home and me and the bike were in one piece, of course that was not always the case but, I always suited up heavy when I was on a sport bike. Now I just enjoy the ride and my accident risk is much lower due to the way I ride. Last night a buddy came over on a race ready RSV4 Aprillia, he offered it up and the first thing I did was grab my full face helmet, two hours earlier I came home on my RKS with no helmet. Although I am wearing a helmet more and looking for body Armour when we ride the mountains I still enjoy the free feeling of no helmet right or wrong.

Old 08-11-2017 | 08:40 AM
warprints
Road Warrior

I always wear a FF helmet, armored gloves, armored jacket and sportbike boots, no matter which bike I'm on. Risk management. I figure that I can still function (and work in my current occupation) if my legs get messed up, but I want to reduce the risk of hand, upper body and head/face injuries. As someone else said earlier, a 30-40 mile low side on a cruiser is gonna hurt about as much as a low side on a sportbike.

Old 08-11-2017 | 09:18 AM
Roadrage1996
Tourer

Originally Posted by warprints
I always wear a FF helmet, armored gloves, armored jacket and sportbike boots, no matter which bike I'm on. Risk management. I figure that I can still function (and work in my current occupation) if my legs get messed up, but I want to reduce the risk of hand, upper body and head/face injuries. As someone else said earlier, a 30-40 mile low side on a cruiser is gonna hurt about as much as a low side on a sportbike.
Hey warprints you avatar reminded me of a place we frequent when we go four-wheeling. Thought I would share....

Last edited by Roadrage1996; 08-11-2017 at 09:36 AM.
Old 09-06-2017 | 04:55 PM
RadtkeJR
6th Gear
Default I want to hear my Sportster

Any one have suggestions about a good helmet to let me hear my Sportster at sub highway speeds?

I just got a 2017 Sportster 1200 Custom.
It is stock except for a 18" HD clip on windshield.
I like the way the bike sounds and am accustomed to riding by the sound of the engine.
I have been wearing a HJC IS-MAX BT ( never used any sound system with it) but it is 5 yrs old so I am looking for a replacement.
I usually ride with the shield up except when on the highway.
I can hear the bike quite well.

I just tried a Scorpion Belfast 3/4.
Nice helmet but it's like wearing earplugs when you're not moving and when you are moving the added wind noise totally drowns out the engine sound at any cruising speed.
Not what I want.

I know it's kind of the opposite of what most folks want, but hearing the bike is a big part of the riding experience for me.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Old 09-06-2017 | 06:57 PM
Bluesrider.df
Grand HDF Member

I wear an FF helmet that is very "un-Harley" looking, but I really like it. I've never worn anything but FF and ATGATT so I guess I don't know what I'm missing. Although the other day a bug hit my face shield exactly in front of my left eye and left a splat the size of a 50 cent piece. If I didn't have that shield it would've hit me directly in the eye, and it would've been very bad.

Attached Thumbnails A different kind of helmet thread-010-first-ride-2.jpg  
Old 02-19-2018 | 05:50 PM
B.K.
Road Master

At highway speeds, a full face helmet is the best. Protection against rocks, bugs, any other stuff flying at you at 60+mph. Lower speeds, and very hot weather, I find it hard to wear a full face, but I know I should.

Old 02-19-2018 | 06:12 PM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member

Been on many sport bikes, and hit a deer while I was on a CBR1000. The performance, and consequently MOST of your reactions on sport bikes are lightning compared to a cruiser. I feel comfortable enough on my Fat Bob to ride without a helmet lots of times...never on a sport bike. Having said all that; when we tour far from home the wife and I both wear Schuberth modulars on our bikes for all weather face protection. Seen many a hard-*** out there with a face like an old saddle; not for us; thank you

Quick Reply: A different kind of helmet thread