General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A different kind of helmet thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2017 | 10:02 PM
DaddyFlip
Cruiser

The correct answer to the OP question is IMAGE more than any other factor. Gear looks cool on a sport bike, not so much on a cruiser. My own example: before I started riding, I knew I was going to wear ATGATT because I was afraid of the potential consequence of not wearing it. Therefore, I did not choose a cruiser as a first bike but a sporty bike. The next two bikes I bought were also bikes where ATGATT looked "normal". After several years, I am comfortable in my gearhood and wear it on the Harley as well. We're talking a Wide Glide with 16 inch apes and I'm wearing a FF and mesh Joe Rocket gear. My wife thinks it looks stupid and I should just get on and ride. But she is not one to consider the consequences as I do (and she doesn't ride either). It helps me that I am more comfortable in gear than not (I tried). Wind sucks; I have no desire to be "in it" as the saying goes. Sun and heat is worse without gear for me.

Remember there are a lot of sport bike squids out there who don't wear any gear at all, so the question is not black and white. I don't know the reason why- image? ignorance? Folks do what they want to do. I wonder how many smokers wear ATGATT? High risk in one area while reducing risk in another? Tobacco and helmets - it won't happen to me and if it does, you gotta die of something - they both draw the same response. So what?

Old 08-10-2017 | 07:55 AM
BobRed0965
Cruiser

Have you ever noticed that as football players wore more and more gear, they started taking greater risks? This has resulted in football becoming a more dangerous sport.

I see MC gear somewhat the same way. Too much gear makes you feel invulnerable, too little makes you very vulnerable.

The following 2 users liked this post by BobRed0965:
soldierbot (08-10-2017), TenMidgets (02-27-2018)
Old 08-10-2017 | 09:23 AM
sailmotion
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by BobRed0965
Have you ever noticed that as football players wore more and more gear, they started taking greater risks? This has resulted in football becoming a more dangerous sport.

I see MC gear somewhat the same way. Too much gear makes you feel invulnerable, too little makes you very vulnerable.
Interesting perspective and probably not too far off!

The following users liked this post:
BobRed0965 (08-10-2017)
Old 08-10-2017 | 09:46 AM
rauchman
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by CyGlide
For me, when I was on sport bikes I tended to push the limits a little more, which made me want to wear all gear because I felt like there was a better chance of something happening. On the Harley, I just ride the bike. When I switched from sport bikes to harleys I rarely wore my helmet, but in the last couple years I've gone back to always wearing a helmet (3/4 helmet). This year I went back to a FF and now can't remember why I ever stopped wearing it. (except it gets hot in temps over 85*)

I've been the sport bike route as well. And yes, I "sometimes" road a little fast . However, I still ride my FLD fast too. It's more challenging to hustle the HD down the road through turns and what not, but more gratifying. I road out in AZ a few times with no helmet when I first started riding (my wife and I got married by way of 2 rented Fatboys in AZ on a hot air balloon and road to the Grand Canyon for the honeymoon). I loved it. To me, there is nothing cooler than riding an HD in the desert heading into the sunset. Love the feeling of the wind going through my hair and the caress of the wind as you plow the miles on.
I went down on my last bike (Suzy SV1000S) doing 30mph or so and got a bit busted up. Fortunately, it was the day after Thanksgiving and I was wearing all leather and a flip up full face. If I had been wearing a half helmet, my jaw would have been shattered. I only wear a flip up and no more halfies or 3/4's for me. My wife still wears them and she's been down too.
As to the OP's question, as someone else mentioned, I think it's more of a culture thing. Having said that, I'm seeing the stereotypes change. I'm seeing a higher percentage (still pretty small) of sport bike riders go with half helmets, and conversely I think the CA Dyna seen is making full face/flip up helmets more acceptable....dare I say more cool.

Old 08-10-2017 | 12:14 PM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by SoCalSoftailSlim
Unless you are having a lot of trouble financially and can't afford it, there's really no reason not to wear decent gear. Then again, you probably shouldn't have bought a pricey Harley if that's your situation.

These days, good gear is comfortable, and often makes the ride better.

Try a good, properly sized full, and you'll never go back to a silly novelty helmet. They make CE rated boots that look as good as Red Wings, even some that look like sneakers, if that's your thing.

Mesh riding jackets with CE rated armor are all over the place, and are comfy on the ride.

The only thing I haven't been able to find are CE rated pants, or kevlar lined, that I like. I wear 21 oz jeans, as opposed to the 12 oz. offered by Levi's, and those ride great on warm days.

I find guys who haven't ridden very much are the ones who don't gear up at all, whether it's the wannabe badarse on a Harley, or the Darwin Award candidate on the crotch rocket.

And they tend to learn the hard way.
Over 25 years riding, and hundreds of thousands of miles under me, with 12+ years and 125,000+ miles on Reaper alone. Aside from boots and jeans, I wear the least amount of gear the weather/law will allow. I'm more than financially stable. Nothing to do with being "badass", or trying to portray an image. It's all about comfort for me. As the years and experience went up, the amount of gear I wore went down. I find that it's the opposite of what you say. New riders tend to go ATGATT to begin with, and shed layers as they get more comfortable riding.

Last edited by Clammy; 08-10-2017 at 01:19 PM.
Old 08-10-2017 | 01:06 PM
Mike Lawless
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by RIkoSuave55
Its funny because on the way to work today I was putting along (at speed limit) in my electra glide, cool morning, beautiful scenery. Next thing you know this sport bike comes zoomin up on me, and passes me in a no pass zone. ironically there was traffic ahead and by the time we got to the light we got there together. I wondered why he wanted to zoom through all of that beautiful scenery while im jammin some zeppelin leaning back cruising.

I had a half helmet he had a full face and had full leather on matching his bike. I had boots Jeans and a mesh riders jacket.

At the green, he split cars in front of him and lane changed 3-4 times passing cars. Just in time for another light to turn red, I got to the light and it just turned green so I actually pass this *** hat.

i thought of the turtle and the rabbit (bugs Bunny episode).

Im 46, I want to enjoy every tree, breathe every fresh air and I leave 20 minutes early so I can take the long way to work.

I was young once and I craved speed and tricks and attention, now I just wanna enjoy.

"Youth is wasted on the Young"
He was probably trying to show off to that slow HD rider. "Look at me how fast I am! You should be totally impressed!"

I had (quite a few actually) similar scenarios. I too just kinda cruise along at the speed limit, in town or otherwise. Like you, I'm not in much of a hurry when I'm riding. I'm enjoying the ride.

In the last occurrence, it was a Harley rider (Dyna I think) ape=hangers, really REALLY loud pipes, who came up from behind, zipped around me (The guy on the fat-assed harley cruiser...wearing a FF with a tinted visor to conceal my identity!) on the right, only to be just in front of me at the light......wearing a half helmet too.

Old 08-10-2017 | 01:20 PM
Bopple Hill Rd
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Clammy
Over 25 years riding, and hundreds of thousands of miles under me, with 12+ years and 125,000+ on Reaper alone. Aside from boots and jeans, I wear the least amount of gear the weather/law will allow. I'm more than financially stable. Nothing to do with being "badass", or trying to portray an image. It's all about comfort for me. As the years and experience went up, the amount of gear I wore went down. I find that it's the opposite of what you say. New riders tend to go ATGATT to begin with, and shed layers as they get more comfortable riding.
I've gone the exact opposite direction but for the very same underlying reason - comfort. Used to roll with the smallest non-DOT skid lid I could find and would go with no helmet when/where I could. Jeans, boots and a t-shirt was about it. But as my years and experience have gone up, so has the amount of gear. Now I'm never without some sort of jacket - (leather in cooler months and armored textile in hot weather. Gloves, boots, 24 oz jeans and FF helmet. I'm just not as comfortable without feeling like I'm protected as best I can be. To each their own. But like you, it's never been about image - just what I'm most comfortable in and will help me enjoy the ride to the fullest.

Old 08-10-2017 | 01:29 PM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Bopple Hill Rd
I've gone the exact opposite direction but for the very same underlying reason - comfort. Used to roll with the smallest non-DOT skid lid I could find and would go with no helmet when/where I could. Jeans, boots and a t-shirt was about it. But as my years and experience have gone up, so has the amount of gear. Now I'm never without some sort of jacket - (leather in cooler months and armored textile in hot weather. Gloves, boots, 24 oz jeans and FF helmet. I'm just not as comfortable without feeling like I'm protected as best I can be. To each their own. But like you, it's never been about image - just what I'm most comfortable in and will help me enjoy the ride to the fullest.
And that's the bottom line, really: wear what makes you comfortable and enjoy the ride!!

Cheers!

Old 08-10-2017 | 05:45 PM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member

I've never had a sport bike. I wore a FF my first 9 years riding. The last 4 years I mostly wear a 3/4 helmet. One reason more sport bikers wear a helmet is they are younger riders with less experience.

Harley riders tend to be older with more experience, and more confidence. I still wear a helmet all the time, but I feel more confident about my riding ability, and spidey senses, than I did years ago.

The more years you ride, the less you need the crutch of ATGATT. If the SHTF though, you may regret riding naked.

Old 08-10-2017 | 06:43 PM
Bikeagraman
Tourer

Originally Posted by Clammy
Over 25 years riding, and hundreds of thousands of miles under me, with 12+ years and 125,000+ miles on Reaper alone. Aside from boots and jeans, I wear the least amount of gear the weather/law will allow. I'm more than financially stable. Nothing to do with being "badass", or trying to portray an image. It's all about comfort for me. As the years and experience went up, the amount of gear I wore went down. I find that it's the opposite of what you say. New riders tend to go ATGATT to begin with, and shed layers as they get more comfortable riding.
Oh, oh. I suggest that you'd better stop riding soon. At this rate, you will end up riding in your birthday suit!

Quick Reply: A different kind of helmet thread