General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A different kind of helmet thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2017 | 10:47 AM
Redlegvzv
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by blackxpress
As I said in the other thread, I have decided starting today to always wear my full face helmet. I ride a Road Glide with a Madstad so I get pretty good wind protection but not near as much as, say, a Goldwing with their big old windshields. I was wearing my full face a few days ago and a big bug splattered all over my face shield. It reminded me of an experience many years ago when I was riding with no windshield and a full face helmet. I came up behind a dump truck and he threw a rock at me. The rock hit me in the face shield and split it in two. Had I not been wearing a helmet it would've hit me right between the eyes. That would've been a major owie. It was like slow motion. I saw the rock coming but couldn't avoid it.
Yes, in California and many other states truck drivers are not required to, and refused to, cover their loads. This often results in rocks and stones getting motorcyclists in the chest and face or on the face shield or the windshield. It is simply not safe in California to ride on the freeway without face protection of some sort. I'm all in favor of freedom and the right to choose, however I will never ride without a fullface helmet.

Old 08-04-2017 | 10:59 AM
RIkoSuave55
Intermediate
Default Good Point

Its funny because on the way to work today I was putting along (at speed limit) in my electra glide, cool morning, beautiful scenery. Next thing you know this sport bike comes zoomin up on me, and passes me in a no pass zone. ironically there was traffic ahead and by the time we got to the light we got there together. I wondered why he wanted to zoom through all of that beautiful scenery while im jammin some zeppelin leaning back cruising.

I had a half helmet he had a full face and had full leather on matching his bike. I had boots Jeans and a mesh riders jacket.

At the green, he split cars in front of him and lane changed 3-4 times passing cars. Just in time for another light to turn red, I got to the light and it just turned green so I actually pass this *** hat.

i thought of the turtle and the rabbit (bugs Bunny episode).

Im 46, I want to enjoy every tree, breathe every fresh air and I leave 20 minutes early so I can take the long way to work.

I was young once and I craved speed and tricks and attention, now I just wanna enjoy.

"Youth is wasted on the Young"

The following 2 users liked this post by RIkoSuave55:
pjdude (08-06-2017), priell3 (08-10-2017)
Old 08-04-2017 | 11:15 AM
IdahoHacker
Club Member
Veteran: Army

Originally Posted by blackxpress
The recent thread (Why don't people wear helmets?) got me started thinking in a different direction. It's no secret that Harley riders are the most likely of all bikers to ride without helmets. Cruiser riders in general but Harley riders in particular. Here in Ohio I notice that it's rare to see a Harley rider wearing a helmet and when you do it's almost always a half helmet. On the other hand, I rarely ever see a sport bike rider without a full face helmet and most of them are also wearing protective clothing. Why do you suppose that is?
It's part of the culture, both sides. I know the senior police motor officer instructor for the state. He's heavily involved, so surprise, in motorcycle crash statistics analysis. He said that wearing full gear is part of the sport bike culture, just like wearing no gear is part of the Harley culture. It's certainly not rare to see sport bike riders in full race leathers. Both sides say they've made their choices because of the same reason: "I accept the risks". I think riders who refuse to wear gear have not "accepted" the risks, they're in denial of the risks. Imo. And, even worse, they make disparaging comments about sport bike riders in their "Power Ranger" outfits. The motor officer said that's the reason that sport bike riders suffer fewer serious injuries and deaths by number of crashes compared to cruiser/touring bike riders.

Originally Posted by TejasJeff
Great comment and I'd say that describes my take on it too.

The ATGATT lectures get really old too.
Well, to be fair, when the OP asks a question about wearing gear, and the responses answer the question about wearing gear, then the responses aren't "lectures" about wearing gear, they're "answers".

Originally Posted by FredCa
Everyone is entitled to enjoy their ride the way they see fit.

One common thread I have seen reading these forums is that after surviving a crash, most of the riders comment that they will begin using safety gear. My wife and I decided why wait.
Agreed. We've all heard the cliche: "Live for the ride, dress for the crash". Nobody intends to crash, yet, somehow, we still do. While nothing, nothing, guarantees you'll survive every crash, might as well do your best to increase your chances of being able to get up and walk away.

The following 3 users liked this post by IdahoHacker:
Bluesrider.df (09-06-2017), Kevin R (02-23-2018), priell3 (08-10-2017)
Old 08-04-2017 | 11:22 AM
RK4ME
Seasoned HDF Member

Sport bike riders tend to "push" their bikes harder than Harley riders do. Many if not most Harley riders never hit 100 MPH, while a sport bike rider might hit 100 a few times during an afternoon ride; they also corner a lot harder and faster.
I like the trend of Harley riders wearing good gear, and backing away from the outlaw look.

The following 2 users liked this post by RK4ME:
TenMidgets (02-27-2018), Viaqua (08-05-2017)
Old 08-04-2017 | 11:37 AM
TejasJeff
Tourer

Originally Posted by IdahoHacker
It's part of the culture, both sides. I know the senior police motor officer instructor for the state. He's heavily involved, so surprise, in motorcycle crash statistics analysis. He said that wearing full gear is part of the sport bike culture, just like wearing no gear is part of the Harley culture. It's certainly not rare to see sport bike riders in full race leathers. Both sides say they've made their choices because of the same reason: "I accept the risks". I think riders who refuse to wear gear have not "accepted" the risks, they're in denial of the risks. Imo. And, even worse, they make disparaging comments about sport bike riders in their "Power Ranger" outfits. The motor officer said that's the reason that sport bike riders suffer fewer serious injuries and deaths by number of crashes compared to cruiser/touring bike riders.

Well, to be fair, when the OP asks a question about wearing gear, and the responses answer the question about wearing gear, then the responses aren't "lectures" about wearing gear, they're "answers".

Agreed. We've all heard the cliche: "Live for the ride, dress for the crash". Nobody intends to crash, yet, somehow, we still do. While nothing, nothing, guarantees you'll survive every crash, might as well do your best to increase your chances of being able to get up and walk away.
Ok lecture my not be appropriate. But preaching about it is just the same.

Old 08-04-2017 | 11:37 AM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Originally Posted by RK4ME
Sport bike riders tend to "push" their bikes harder than Harley riders do. Many if not most Harley riders never hit 100 MPH, while a sport bike rider might hit 100 a few times during an afternoon ride; they also corner a lot harder and faster.
This. And they tend to do wheelies everywhere, wearing out 5 rear tires to one front tire. So it's more of a safety feature, than a fashion statement.

Old 08-04-2017 | 12:04 PM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member

I am with CyGlide on this. When I rode sport bikes, I was pretty sure I was going to crash because I was very much pushing the limits of the bike every chance I had. I just don't do anything near that on my Harley.

What is probably somewhat unusual is I *was* involved in what could have been a very serious wreck on a sport bike. I was doing well over 100 mph, and I walked away with a few minor injuries because I was wearing a FF helmet and all the gear. In spite of that, I am still OK with getting on my Harley in a T-shirt, jeans and boots. I do that because I enjoy riding that way, experience all of being in the wind.

I don't preach either way. Everyone rides their own ride.

Old 08-04-2017 | 12:33 PM
Johnnypop
Tourer

I think if a decent ff helmet was made for hot weather more of us would wear a helmet. Technology today can make anything so why is the only ventilation a quarter inch hole in the back of the helmet. Another is the speakers that are used in the helmet why are the so poor. If the rules need to change for the dot helmet then we need change them.

Old 08-04-2017 | 12:49 PM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member

No, this is just like every other helmet thread on this forum. It's the same thing over and over: "why doesn't everybody wear a full face helmet like me?"

Last edited by Uncle G.; 08-05-2017 at 06:44 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Ron750 (08-10-2017)
Old 08-04-2017 | 10:24 PM
RK4ME
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Johnnypop
I think if a decent ff helmet was made for hot weather more of us would wear a helmet. Technology today can make anything so why is the only ventilation a quarter inch hole in the back of the helmet. Another is the speakers that are used in the helmet why are the so poor. If the rules need to change for the dot helmet then we need change them.
This one gets good reviews:
https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/shoei-gt-air-helmet

Quick Reply: A different kind of helmet thread