General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A different kind of helmet thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2018 | 10:17 AM
StoneTrekker
Stellar HDF Member

I forget how this works but certain shields and eyewear/protection carry a certification which indicates optical clarity and accuracy. The better shields will basically have no distortion when you look through them at any typical eye angle.

Old 02-26-2018 | 11:20 AM
Nokkon Wud
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

Originally Posted by Dillbilly Bone
I forget how this works but certain shields and eyewear/protection carry a certification which indicates optical clarity and accuracy. The better shields will basically have no distortion when you look through them at any typical eye angle.
Just did a quick look but didn't see any specs on the shields.
Mine is a HJC CL-14 helmet. It's older so maybe they didn't do that then.

Old 02-26-2018 | 12:10 PM
HarleyD1929
Tourer

Originally Posted by Bikeagraman
The answer is simple:

Sport bike riders have tender, baby-soft skins, delicate bones and craniums and, therefore, need to be protected by full leather outfits and full-face helmets. The full body coverage also prevents them from getting sunburned or get bruised by road debris. All that talk about "pushing the limits" or "being able to drag their elbows in corners" is plain showboating. It comes down to their fear of getting killed or maimed in accidents. Basically, they are just a bunch of soft-bellied, skinny-assed, sissies and mama's boys.

Us Harley riders, on the other hand, are a tough bunch. Our facial and body hairs are so tough they are like steel wool. We (including the gals) shave with knives, not electric shavers. Our sun-dried, sandpaper-like skins will grind down that asphalt like graters on cheese. The bones and craniums we inherited from our Neanderthal ancestors are so hard they are stronger than the best grade of tool steel, so we don't need helmets and pads. Our big bellies are like airbags and will automatically help us bounce down the roadway safely, and our fat rolls will absorb and dissipate all impact energies. Most of all, we have absolutely no fear of dying of becoming vegetables. We are macho.

As for those that ride both kinds of bikes....well....you are just bi.
just sharpened my knife this morning...

Last edited by HarleyD1929; 02-26-2018 at 12:16 PM.
Old 02-26-2018 | 12:14 PM
rjg883c
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Raider Bill
I think I'm going to get another face shield and give that a try. My goal is to work up to a modular. I figured for $10 it would be a cheap entry into the FF life style
I don't know what the weather is like in your area, but here in the desert a helmet with vents is much cooler, at least while you are moving. If you decide to go FF, that might be a consideration.

Old 02-26-2018 | 12:15 PM
HarleyD1929
Tourer

Originally Posted by scott2038
No helmet law here and if I'm riding on city streets in good weather I'm usually not wearing one or wearing a half shell. It's more comfortable in stop and go traffic which rarely gets over 30mph and I prefer to have unobstructed vision and hearing in that environment. I'm guessing 70% of folks I see on two wheels in the city including sport riders, bicyclists, and scooter pilots are bare headed. Highway riding, including 55mph two lane ones through the country and it's full face for me.

well yeah.. Everyone knows that concrete is softer at 30 mph than it is at 55+ mph...

Old 02-26-2018 | 12:31 PM
Nokkon Wud
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

Originally Posted by rjg883c
I don't know what the weather is like in your area, but here in the desert a helmet with vents is much cooler, at least while you are moving. If you decide to go FF, that might be a consideration.
Florida's Suncoast. It gets HOT.

From the little I've used the FF I see that I would have to be able to flip up the front especially at lights in the heat and to be able to take a drink without taking it off.

Old 02-26-2018 | 12:38 PM
5150northrider
Outstanding HDF Member

Don't know if you are wearing polarised glasses under that but it sounds like it. As for the safety of wear or not too.its nobodies business but the one riding and this I know what's best for others stuff needs to come to a grinding halt ....

Old 02-26-2018 | 01:44 PM
RedNose44
Extreme HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Originally Posted by Dillbilly Bone
This is true. My Simpson is optically correct, but my Wife's Shoei has a higher clarity rating. Non-optically correct visors give me a headache.

The following users liked this post:
StoneTrekker (02-26-2018)
Old 02-26-2018 | 02:21 PM
UUNetBill
Outstanding HDF Member

Funny how all of the ‘this is a different helmet thread’ turn into the same old debate.

I don’t think anyone can honestly believe that you’re safer without a helmet. But I also live in a helmet optional state and I prefer riding without one. I’ve lived in both helmet and non helmet states and for years I had to wear a helmet regardless (working on military bases) so I got used to it. When I was commuting I’d wear a helmet as it had my Bluetooth headset in it. But now?? Even though I know it’s safer, smarter, and more logical to wear a helmet, I choose to leave mine (I have three) at home.

You can argue the “be smart/freedom/image/ATGATT/my choice” thing all day long...but at the end of the day, many of us have a choice whether to wear a helmet or not, and many of us choose not to. Shouldn’t really be anyone’s business but the rider’s.

The following 2 users liked this post by UUNetBill:
HarleyD1929 (02-26-2018), RIkoSuave55 (02-27-2018)
Old 02-26-2018 | 02:22 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member

Originally Posted by rjg883c
Actually I am not religious at all.

But I do feel a helmet can prevent some head injuries, is that a bad thing to intimate?
Where has anyone told anyone else don't wear one?

Quick Reply: A different kind of helmet thread