General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A different kind of helmet thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2018 | 08:37 AM
Nokkon Wud
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

It's a HJC with mirrored face shield.
Wonder if the mirror is doing it.
Paid $10 for the helmet at a swap meet last year without the face shield which I got online for $20. First FF.

Attached Thumbnails A different kind of helmet thread-13483298_1132506240105707_5926031874881922144_o.jpg  

Last edited by Nokkon Wud; 02-26-2018 at 08:39 AM.
Old 02-26-2018 | 08:46 AM
Settertude
Cruiser

Originally Posted by IdahoHacker
Yup.

Went on a HOG chapter ride Saturday, up US 12 toward Lolo Pass. Had lunch at the Lochsa Lodge. Awesome, gourmet-worthy food, btw, if you're ever up that way. Oh, and they're open all year, and there's a one-pump gas station there. Good to know!

So, it was basically a steady 102 degrees all the way back to Lowell, where it went a few degrees higher until we stopped in Kamiah. (If you ain't from these parts, that's pronounced "kam-eee-eye".)

As I'm fond of saying, I may be riding a Harley, but I'm not a "Harley rider". Jesus dirtbiking Christ, you should have seen the rest of the group when we stopped. They're pulling off their cheap, black, helmets, that flow no air, their hair is soaked with sweat, their faces are beet red, and sweat is rolling down their faces. They're wearing black leather jackets, ("But I have the vents unzipped!"), and the standard black leather chaps. They're buying bottles of water and pouring water over their heads and down into their jeans. Woooooo!!

I'm wearing a cooling vest under my (light colored, hi-viz) full mesh jacket, (light colored, hi-viz), mesh-backed gloves, and a (light colored, hi-viz), not-black helmet that flows a lot of air. I've been drinking my cool water, not pouring it on my head and my (not) steaming crotch.

I'm as comfortable as I can be, I'm not even sweating. I'm ready to go ride, they're all ready for heat stroke.

And, no, they didn't look "badass".
I've been to the Lodge--cool place.

:-)
Coming down from the Montana side is a heck of a road.

Old 02-26-2018 | 08:52 AM
Jjpmach1
Cruiser

remove the shield and look through it at something straight or level. then you can see if there is any distortion.

Old 02-26-2018 | 09:09 AM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member

Originally Posted by rjg883c
To let anyone that is undecided understand that death is not a sure thing. And considering odds, it is not even the most likely result of an accident.
2 of my best friends have died in bike accidents, one I was there and the other was massive head trauma while wearing a helmet, He lasted 3 minutes once they shut down the life support systems that he'd been on for 4 days ,more have had severe injuries lasting years afterward.

I've been to more bike related funerals than I care to remember the last 47 years riding and the only overnight I've ever done in the hospital was a long one as the 19 yr old kid across the hall cried all night, he was going to be a quadriplegic for the rest of his life from a bike wreck. Pretty sure the hospital staff did that on purpose to drive a point home to me.

Yes I'm more than aware of the what if's related to what we do and after some years in this forum I'm damned sure I understand them more than most in here.

The following users liked this post:
Redoilokie (02-26-2018)
Old 02-26-2018 | 09:21 AM
rjg883c
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
2 of my best friends have died in bike accidents, one I was there and the other was massive head trauma while wearing a helmet, He lasted 3 minutes once they shut down the life support systems that he'd been on for 4 days ,more have had severe injuries lasting years afterward.

I've been to more bike related funerals than I care to remember the last 47 years riding and the only overnight I've ever done in the hospital was a long one as the 19 yr old kid across the hall cried all night, he was going to be a quadriplegic for the rest of his life from a bike wreck. Pretty sure the hospital staff did that on purpose to drive a point home to me.

Yes I'm more than aware of the what if's related to what we do and after some years in this forum I'm damned sure I understand them more than most in here.
I guarantee you that there were many, many more accidents in which the rider didn't die, especially instantly. And your point is....

I don't think everyone is aware of the "what if's", but those that are can just move along, right? Even if you are not 'undecided', some people are.

What happened to "I'm not inclined to chase this rabbit any further I know dead end when I see one."?

Last edited by rjg883c; 02-26-2018 at 09:26 AM.
Old 02-26-2018 | 09:22 AM
Redoilokie
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by rjg883c
I guarantee you that there were many, many more accidents in which the rider didn't die, especially instantly. And your point is....
The point is, YOU in particular seem hell bent on turning this into some sort of come to Jesus/wear a helmet or perish in eternal fire and brimstone type of thread. There always has to be one. GFY.

Last edited by Redoilokie; 02-26-2018 at 09:28 AM.
Old 02-26-2018 | 09:27 AM
StoneTrekker
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Raider Bill
It's a HJC with mirrored face shield.
Wonder if the mirror is doing it.
Paid $10 for the helmet at a swap meet last year without the face shield which I got online for $20. First FF.

My money is on visual distortion which changes as you move your head or (more accurately) your eyes.

Old 02-26-2018 | 09:30 AM
rjg883c
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Redoilokie
The point is, YOU in particular seem hell bent on turning this into some sort of come to Jesus/wear a helmet or perish in eternal fire and brimstone type of thread. There always has to be one. GFY.
Actually I am not religious at all.

But I do feel a helmet can prevent some head injuries, is that a bad thing to intimate?

Last edited by rjg883c; 02-26-2018 at 09:32 AM.
Old 02-26-2018 | 09:36 AM
rjg883c
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Dillbilly Bone
My money is on visual distortion which changes as you move your head or (more accurately) your eyes.
I agree, perhaps it is the 'mirror'? I switched from 3/4 to FF in 1971, and as far as I can remember didn't experience what you described.

Old 02-26-2018 | 09:58 AM
Nokkon Wud
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

I think I'm going to get another face shield and give that a try. My goal is to work up to a modular. I figured for $10 it would be a cheap entry into the FF life style

Quick Reply: A different kind of helmet thread