General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noise Violation??

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 04:34 PM
Big Sled
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 8,456 Likes on 4,366 Posts
Default RE: Noise Violation??

As referred to in another post: Things are changing... the only way we're gonna keep the freedoms to do what we want is to pool all our money and buy some State, like Idaho maybe, or a rural countyand move there andset up our own guvmint. I'll pitch in some gees.

Old 06-12-2007, 04:41 PM
Todd T
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont think its so much the new wave bikers but more like the wave or new bikers. What I mean is there are so many more on the roads and a lot or them are the baby boomers who have money to spend and have spent it on custom choppers and loud pipes for their new toys. They get out there with a look at me attitude and make all kinds or noise (enemies, rather).

I race in the off road arena in the sport of Hare Scrambles and Enduros. The same thing is happening there. The four strokes are killingour sport. There are those (numerous) ones that think they are faster with thier baffles out or cores cut up. They are so much louder and at a lower range on the soundspectrum their noise carries farther and disturbs more. Just like the bass from a loud car stereo.

We all have to take a stand and get envolved or we will be written right out into history.

"Remember when Harley's sounded good and rumbled through town" or "remember when there used to be places to ride off road" -is that the legacy we want to leave, where you cant even hear one running anymore and nowhere left to ride offroad???

The fact is; loud pipes annoy the general population and they are the ones that complain and get legislation passed on us. When you ride LOUD, you are one whom is offendingmany within an earshot of ya. You're out numbered and that's now good.

..........Now, Ive got to retire the garage. The UPS man just dropped off my Fulsac true dual kit [X(]hypocritic SOB aint I?

Old 06-12-2007, 05:15 PM
Superdawg
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: Wcross

Went on a ride this weekend and there was a sign just outside of Ithaca about a 90 db level limit. Not quite sure what the rest of the sign said, but there was a small group of bikers on some obviously custom jobs pulled over to the side just past the sign trying to decide toproceed into town or not. I don't care what you're talking about, but all it takes is just a few a-holes to ruin it for everyone. Whether it's noise, music, drinking, guns, etc. Someone will always push the envelope while others will just blast right past it without regards to the outcome for everyone. I think the LOUDEST pipes I've ever heard in my life belonged to a State Trooper who lives a couple doors down from me. I mean, I've heard throaty, rumble & ruff, and loud, but these MF'ers wereway beyond crazy.If you didn't know he was ready to fire that thing up, your freakin' heart would be up your throat and banging on your teeth. He had that custombike for about 6 months before it went down the road. I don't mind someone wanting a deeper rumble or whatnot, but come on, use a little common sense and courtesy.At the same time, let's not just zero in on bikes. Noise is noise and I don't care where it comes from. There's an Airbase right in back of our business and if the dock door is open, you wouldn't be able to hear me from 2 feet away when those jets take off. So I doubt very highly that there will ever be an ordinance regarding noise in this part of town.
Those signs that you see on most of the hills in the Ithaca area
are aimed towards the JAKE brakes on the big trucks. Seems this area (and if you were coming in by the lake on rt.13) have a big
problem with truck traffic going in and out of their "perfect little town".
mostly the problem everyone has is with the garbage haulers and the buckets (hard to belive since most of the buckets are hauling salt out of cargill or farm trucks). They have gone as far
as talking about banning truck traffic in certain parts of the city,
even though they are state routes.

The city and county cops have been very tolerant of bikes(a lot
ride themselves) BUT I guess if people started bitc$ing the way they do about trucks, things could change. I have only been pulled over once in the city (a park) and that was when I had my sportster with drag pipes. LEO checked paperwork and told me to keep it down and sent me on my way. I now run V&H shortshots on the superglide and haven't been bothered. I don't try too get more attention then I need either.

One thing while in the area is to be careful around the NYS PARK
POLICE. They have a lot of noobs that feel the need to show off their writing skills, (car, truck or bike).

Sorry for the long post, if you come down this way again, give us a heads up and we could meet up and maybe show you some good areas around here.

Old 06-12-2007, 11:26 PM
bikergirl40
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Sure things change...mostly out of necessity because of bozzos who abuse the system. We would have less restrictions if people just stayed within the confines of the laws we already have in place. Abuse and shear disrespect of laws, authority, others rights or comforts cause the needfornumerous and more stringent laws.

Considering the general population is increasing, so is the need for more controls for the sake of keeping the peace. The faster the population grows the faster we find more ingenious ways of screwing everything up.

Old 06-13-2007, 01:32 AM
D6CS
Tourer

Do I undestand you got the ticket for no mufflers, not for excessive noise. Out here in Sk. thelaw requires mufflers, so without them we can get a ticket for illegal equipment and if caught pulling on the throttle an excessive noise ticket as well. Are they requesting a re-inspection for complianceor just the ticket? Of course itusually depends on theofficer. Those that appreciate nice sound will usuallygive you a break unless you're hotdoggin and causing a ruckus.. Good luck