General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noise Violation??

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 04:55 AM
DinoVelvet
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Noise Violation??

ORIGINAL: LTrain

I don't know your ordinance, but in Chicago, the City has to prove (not beyond a reasonable doubt, but rather by a preponderance of the evidence) that you could be heard 75 feet, or is it yards away.

The officer can testify s/he knows the street lamps are X feet and there were Y number of lamps between the officer and your bike and he could hear you that far away.

Good luck.
I used to run drag pipes in London Ont. and never had a problem by the local LEO's. mind you I never cracked the sh*t out of em either. out on the 401 yeah sure from time to time but never in and around town, there was no need to. now out in BC they're talking about 90 Db max and a limit of 150 meters. If your exhaust can be heard past 150 meters (measured by a laser)then you get pulled over and given a ticket and have to appear in a sanctioned test facility where a Db meter will be used to ascertain the actual Db level of the exhaust. That's the word around here anyways. I haven't seen anything yet, but then again I don't crack the sh*t out of my pipes either.

Old 06-11-2007, 07:36 AM
bobros
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Face it boys, we blew it. We wanted the loud pipes and had little reguard for the community. Now the communities have had enough.

Old 06-11-2007, 08:00 AM
Hackd
Elite HDF Member
Received 82 Likes on 77 Posts

I don't believe you will have much luck 'fighting' the ticket. Unless the officer fails to appear, you're gonna get stuck with the fine. Pay it and move on. The way I look at it you've got a couple of choices:

1) Leave your bike with the straight pipes on it, and hope that you won't get stopped again.
2) Swap on a set of mufflers and retune the bike.

Old 06-11-2007, 09:11 AM
Steve On 3
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm kinda with bobros on this one. We've all heard Harley's that had a low rumble and sounded god and we've heard some straight pipes that set off car alarms. With the increased number of bikes sold and the owners replacing the pipes with straights, the public is tired of those "bikers". The old saw "loud pipes save lives" is debatable. What does save lives is alert riders , aware of their circumstances, who leave themselves an escape route.

I routinely ride with a buddy who has loud pipes and let me tel you after two hours on the interstate, I'd like to change his pipes myself.

I think the street tuner crowd with the ir bumble bee exhaust systems will soon see noise tickets like we have.AS our society gets older, us baby boomers are increasingly adamant to have our desires met and our dislikes made to go away.

Just my .02

Bubba

Old 06-11-2007, 09:14 AM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: bobros

Face it boys, we blew it. We wanted the loud pipes and had little reguard for the community. Now the communities have had enough.
I agree.

Old 06-11-2007, 12:15 PM
211Chuck
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: DocHarley

If you were to fight the ticket are you required to take your bike to allow the noise to be measured? If so,re-installing the original exhaust system when you have your bike inspected is what a few of my friends have done and each time the ticket wasdismissed. Check your local laws.

it is a whole lot easyer to push the button on my
handle bar switch on my Peacemaker mufflers and
switch from straight pipe to quieter then stock in
less then 3 seconds. Of course if you have Peacemaker
mufflers in the first place you don't get a ticket so
theres no problem to start with.

http://www.peacemakersexhaust.com/newstuff/index.html

They are avalible for all brands and models of
motorcycles..

Old 06-11-2007, 02:41 PM
Wcross
Tourer

Went on a ride this weekend and there was a sign just outside of Ithaca about a 90 db level limit. Not quite sure what the rest of the sign said, but there was a small group of bikers on some obviously custom jobs pulled over to the side just past the sign trying to decide toproceed into town or not. I don't care what you're talking about, but all it takes is just a few a-holes to ruin it for everyone. Whether it's noise, music, drinking, guns, etc. Someone will always push the envelope while others will just blast right past it without regards to the outcome for everyone. I think the LOUDEST pipes I've ever heard in my life belonged to a State Trooper who lives a couple doors down from me. I mean, I've heard throaty, rumble & ruff, and loud, but these MF'ers wereway beyond crazy.If you didn't know he was ready to fire that thing up, your freakin' heart would be up your throat and banging on your teeth. He had that custombike for about 6 months before it went down the road. I don't mind someone wanting a deeper rumble or whatnot, but come on, use a little common sense and courtesy.At the same time, let's not just zero in on bikes. Noise is noise and I don't care where it comes from. There's an Airbase right in back of our business and if the dock door is open, you wouldn't be able to hear me from 2 feet away when those jets take off. So I doubt very highly that there will ever be an ordinance regarding noise in this part of town.

Old 06-11-2007, 04:22 PM
bobcowan
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have straight pipes and you got a ticket. And you want to fight it. Where you been, man? Hiding under a rock somewhere?

Only someone with specific experiance with your local courts can give you valid advice. But around here you just pay the fine and move on. Is it a moving violation? Around here it is not.

Old 06-11-2007, 04:48 PM
HarleyWood
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the forum Prarie Schooner....

dayum..they're just hoppin in the boat...and the name is appropriate..

Old 06-11-2007, 09:06 PM
wlbowers
Stellar HDF Member

Received 101 Likes on 44 Posts

ORIGINAL: Prarie Schooner

Just got a Violation for no mufflers on my bike. I have a set of Samson Straight fishtails on my 1990 FLH. We were just minding our own business, when right in front of us a road stop team. Pulled us over and got a $110 dollar ticket. I want to fight it, but want to know first, am I going to waste my time, or has anybody else challenged the courts over this issue? Just to let you know, I reside in Ontario Canada, so if there are other Canadian's, or Americans that have any Idea's how to get out of this, let me know?
Thanks in advance.
I hate COPS....... and my best friend is a cop?
Schooner
First off I want everybody to know I really don't care what you run on your motorcycle. It's your decision. Just remember you have to live with it.

What is the loudest set of pipes I can get for my Harley?

Can I punch out my mufflers? I want them really loud.

Can I remove the baffels from my exhaust and make them louder?

I can make them quiet when I want to.

No body is gonna tell me what i can and cannot run.

Heard them before?

Loud pipes save lives. That is the most abused excuse for having what is effectly straight pipes. One person I know runs straight pipes, then has to ride with earplugs in because "after a few miles I can't hear and my ears hurt."

How save are you going to be if you can't hear what is going on around you.

People are getting tired of the noise. They are passing laws. Once the laws are on the books the LEO"S will have to enforce them. And guess what? Those laws are aimed right at us.

Around the Memphis area they have road blocks. A whole bunch of THP, Sherrifs, and/or mpd will set up a must stop. They check registration, seatbelts, drivers license, wants and warrants, and anything else that want to. Your trapped in the middle of a herd of LEO's.

Oh and guess what. The loud pipes that save lives. Just rattled the window of that LEO's car three back and on the right when you gassed it at the light. How many times will they ignore that.

Most of the LEO"S around here don't hassle motorycles. But I guarantee if the word comes down to the shift commander!

I changed my pipes. I went with the Harley slipons. They have the glass pack sound I wanted and if checked are 50 state legal.

Make your decision. Do what you want. You have to live with it. And in the future it is gonna be harder to live with.

Prarie Schooner
As for the laws in canada I found this. don't know if it will help. If one place has it, good chance others do as well.

Home > Documents and Proceedings > 3rd Session, 38th Parliament > Bills > Bill M 203 — 2007: Motorcycle Noise Control Act

2007 Legislative Session: 3rd Session, 38th Parliament
FIRST READING
The following electronic version is for informational purposes only.
The printed version remains the official version.

MR. MAYENCOURT

BILL M 203 — 2007
MOTORCYCLE NOISE CONTROL ACT
HER MAJESTY, by and with the advice and consent of the Legislative Assembly of the Province of British Columbia, enacts as follows:

Definitions
1 In this Act:

"motorcycle" has the same meaning as defined in the Motor Vehicle Act;

"excessive noise" means a noise of a level greater than the maximum allowable Sound Pressure Level of 85 DBA when operated in an area where the posted or un-posted speed limit is 60 km per hour or less.

Muffler
2 Notwithstanding any regulations enacted pursuant to the Motor Vehicle Act:

(1) A motorcycle, propelled by an internal combustion engine shall be equipped with an exhaust muffler consisting of a series of pipes or chambers which ensures that the exhaust gases from the engine are cooled and expelled without excessive noise.
(2) A person that causes or permits to be operated a motorcycle so as to create excessive noise when operated in an area where the posted o

Quick Reply: Noise Violation??