General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noise Violation??

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 03:02 PM
BkrDude001
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Noise Violation??

ORIGINAL: atomic

I was riding behind a group of harleys the other day and their pipes were painfully loud. I finally got to a spot where I could pass them and it was a relief. Pay your fine. You broke the law.

I don't get why everyone thinks it is their right to annoy everyone else just because they have a motorcycle.
I never saw anything in his post that said he was guilty. I didn't see where you quotedCanadian laws, much less how he violated them. If there is nothing defined and measured, then loud is subjective. Do we now call you Judge Atomic? The few places that I have been that had noise laws, stock Harley's would violate them.

Old 06-10-2007, 03:02 PM
ZD
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: LTrain

I don't know your ordinance, but in Chicago, the City has to prove (not beyond a reasonable doubt, but rather by a preponderance of the evidence) that you could be heard 75 feet, or is it yards away.

The officer can testify s/he knows the street lamps are X feet and there were Y number of lamps between the officer and your bike and he could hear you that far away.

Good luck.
Seventy five feet or yards? I live 5.5 miles from Interstate 10, and if neighborhood noise levels are low such as early mornings or evenings, I can sometimes hear Harley engines with straight pipeson the bloody freeway.

Old 06-10-2007, 04:02 PM
oldfartjc
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: ZD

I reckon this is going to be the future of things... I just hope they target the gangbangers with their 'fart-in-a-barrel' megaphones and 'thumpa-thumpa' sound systems. Personally, I have nothing against quieting things down a bit out there just so long as one particular group (such as motorcycles) isn't targeted unfairly.
That would be racist and profiling if you targeted those offenders and the ACLU (American Criminal Liberties Union) would step in and defend them.

Old 06-10-2007, 04:06 PM
mwdguy
Cruiser

In Canada there are no dB levels for vehicles exhaust in the Highway traffic act.

Old 06-10-2007, 06:02 PM
ironspirit_3
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just saw this article and it relates.

http://cbs4denver.com/seenon/local_story_155214432.html

Jun 5, 2007 10:53 am US/Mountain
Denver Passes Loud Motorcycle Ordinance

Rick Sallinger
Reporting[/align]
(CBS4) DENVER The Denver City Council voted 8-2 Monday night to enact stricter regulations on the noise motorcycles can make staring July 1.

Council members Charlie Brown and Jeanne Faatz voted against the measure.

The ordinance will require all motorcycle pipes to have a stamp to show they are in compliance with U.S. Environmental Protection Agency noise standards.

Councilman Rick Garcia voted for the ordinance.

"Hopefully they will stay out of Denver," Garcia said about the motorcyclists with loud exhaust pipes.

Two years ago, CBS4 reported on how many motorcycles were violating Denver's 80 decibel limit. Police from several agencies conducted a brief crackdown, but using a noise meter to catch a moving motorcycle was not an easy task.

City Council members were given a demonstration of both motorcycles in compliance with noise laws, and those that are not.

"There are a lot of one way streets in my district and late at night they're wide open," Councilwoman Jeannie Robb said. "These things take off and if they're not EPA certified, you heard the difference."

But from those who make a living installing the loud pipes there is another side to the story.

"Loud pipes will save lives because I see people not even paying attention until they hear the pipes and then they look over and see you," a motorcycle mechanic said.

First time violators of the ordinance would get a $500 fine. For repeat offenders, it could go up to $999. [/align]Prepared for cbs4denver.com by Matthew J. Buettner, Web Producer.

Old 06-10-2007, 07:27 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

ORIGINAL: LTrain

I don't know your ordinance, but in Chicago, the City has to prove (not beyond a reasonable doubt, but rather by a preponderance of the evidence) that you could be heard 75 feet, or is it yards away.

The officer can testify s/he knows the street lamps are X feet and there were Y number of lamps between the officer and your bike and he could hear you that far away.

Good luck.
Seventy five feet or yards? I live 5.5 miles from Interstate 10, and if neighborhood noise levels are low such as early mornings or evenings, I can sometimes hear Harley engines with straight pipeson the bloody freeway.

You probably can hear trucks also. Don't just pick on Harleys.

Old 06-10-2007, 07:29 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

ORIGINAL: oldfartjc

I reckon this is going to be the future of things... I just hope they target the gangbangers with their 'fart-in-a-barrel' megaphones and 'thumpa-thumpa' sound systems. Personally, I have nothing against quieting things down a bit out there just so long as one particular group (such as motorcycles) isn't targeted unfairly.
That would be racist and profiling if you targeted those offenders and the ACLU (American Criminal Liberties Union) would step in and defend them.

Gangbangers come in all colors in my part of the country.

Old 06-10-2007, 07:54 PM
drifter4
Cruiser

"In Canada there are no dB levels for vehicles exhaust in the Highway traffic act."
EH?
It's a provincial thing under their individual highway traffic act or provincial motor vehicles acts.
There are,in many municipalities, a municipal act to look after these people that like to disturb the peace and quiet of night, when shift workers and babies are trying to sleep.
Soon DB meters will be in the vehicles of all "by-law" eo's.

[align=right]
[/align]

Old 06-10-2007, 11:59 PM
dircha
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can have 80 db going all day long and it will not cause anyone's ears any harm. 90 or 100 or even higher (remember db scale is logarithmic) would be a more reasonable peak (such as for hard accelerating).

If we start outlawing everything that irritates someone else, we are going to be in pretty sorry shape in a generation.

I'd say it's common courtesy not to accelerate hard or purposely rev it to make noise in residential areas. But we shouldn't be regulating common courtesy to the tune of $500 fines.

Old 06-11-2007, 03:13 AM
timdow
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do we think that LEO'swant to give loud pipes tickets? The only M/C related noise tickets I have heard of have been for straight pipes, and that was due to a neighbor complaining. If your bike is just way too friggin' loud, what the heck do you expect?

I think keep it reasonable, and you probably won't get messed with (even though we are technically still breaking the law).

Quick Reply: Noise Violation??