Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alright Chrome tool box.. left or right side...

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 03:45 PM
chops
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Alright Chrome tool box.. left or right side...

I have them on both sides, either side looks great.

One box is packed with tools, the other box packed with onboard electronics.

Old 06-10-2007, 04:25 PM
Demkay
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chops man, I see you changed your Gallery again, you got some sick pics in there, my favorite is the fenderless rear, but the taildragger looks too good to.

A bud of mine just went nuts 'cuz he couldn't find the key that came with the toolbox, so he drilled the lock, then 2 days later I told him the ignition key should fit it no problem, like on mine.

Man, he was fumeing after that.

I'm not too crazy about saddle bags, i'd like to have a box on both sides and a small bag clipped to the back swing arm for a jacket/sweater. Done. ...... And in Summer when it's stinkin' hot at night, kill the bag.

Old 06-10-2007, 04:46 PM
TxHarleyGuy2007
Road Warrior

Question for those of you with the 'lockable' chrome toolboxes. Does it concern any of you that essentially any HD barrel key will open them up? Although they come with a set of keys, any HD barrel key will work; or at least most will. Tried this out just yesterday at a bbq after a nice ride with a few friends. A buddy of mine has one on the right side on his Heritage. I took my ignition key - which he swore wouldn't open it up - and popped it rightopen. Just throwin' it out there.

Old 06-10-2007, 04:51 PM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: TxHarleyGuy2007

Question for those of you with the 'lockable' chrome toolboxes. Does it concern any of you that essentially any HD barrel key will open them up? Although they come with a set of keys, any HD barrel key will work; or at least most will. Tried this out just yesterday at a bbq after a nice ride with a few friends. A buddy of mine has one on the right side on his Heritage. I took my ignition key - which he swore wouldn't open it up - and popped it rightopen. Just throwin' it out there.
Tools in leather bags and pouches are easy to get at too.

In the past I have installed mine on the right side. Not only is it the high side and easier to get to, it is also on the shoulder of the road side and not the traffic lane.

Old 06-10-2007, 04:53 PM
alaskajeff
Road Captain

I've got one on the LEFT, it was there when I got my bile in 04. I've always thought about which side is better, or both or neither.........I guess everyone has their preference. As long as YOU like the functionality or looks of it or them DO IT!!

Old 06-10-2007, 05:00 PM
mark1957222
Tourer

Anybody with the ***** to mess with a bike when they don't know who rode it in, must be on crack anyway and any lock wouldn't stop them. IMO

Old 06-10-2007, 05:46 PM
Demkay
Road Master

Doesn't worry me in the slightest. Noone is gonna mess with something like that here. Hell, you wanna steal tools, just unbuckle a fork/sissy bag.

Here noone so much as breaths on Harley's, there are usually 10 damn tourists hanging around the thing taking pics anyway.

As for in the States........ not worth gettin' shot over. Anyone catches you so much as looking suspisious around there bike and they're probably gonna give you a good spankin'. Just not worth the risk.

Now if you were stealin' the thing, .......then maybe it would be worth the risk for someone.

Old 07-30-2007, 11:36 PM
Tralfaz
Road Master

Does it concern any of you that essentially any HD barrel key will open them up?
Locks on many things for a motorcycle are more nuisance repellant than real security. Call it a leap of faith, but I'm generally going to count on other cruiser owners to not mess with stuff on my motorcycle. I also don't think a professional thief that would know any HD barrel key will work, and that carries one around will make much of a living off ripping off my tools.

Heck, the locks on most saddlebags are just small padlocks that someone with bolt cutters could just snip off in a second, and someone could just cut off the helmet strap of any helmet secured with a helmet lock that locks on the D-Ring. The main reason I like to be able to lock things down on my motorcycle is to prevent kids, or just nosy SOB's from wandering by, seeing no lock on something, and just popping it open and grabbing whatever is in there.

I'm looking at getting one of these since I like the idea of having something small on the motorcycle that I can store stuff in without riding around with saddlebags. Being that I have a Springer Classic, it looks like right side is my only choice, so the decision is made for me.

Old 07-31-2007, 01:27 AM
RandyNC
Tourer

Locks only keep the honest people out. If someone want to get it they would anyway. Most people don't know that the barrel key will open the gas lid on any bike and tool kit. But we wouldn't mess with another brothers bike...

Old 07-31-2007, 08:52 AM
YUCK
Road Warrior

Right

Quick Reply: Alright Chrome tool box.. left or right side...