General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Decel Pop and Gurgle

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2017, 01:37 PM
rjo3491
Road Master
Received 150 Likes on 103 Posts
Default Decel Pop and Gurgle

Hey folks:

I've used a Power Vision to tune my 96CI Dyna and after eight or so auto tune runes have it running very well. Only problem is I'm getting a heck of a lot of gurgle and more than an occasional pop on decel. I know I can go into the quick tune area and boost fuel in this part of the map, but before I start making changes, I was curious as to what others are doing.

I'm running a HD SE intake and V&H straight shots with quiet baffles (not really quite but I think they give me enough back pressure to run well).

Thanks for any advice!!

Old 07-21-2017, 02:27 PM
eichacsj
Tourer
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I love that sound myself, I took my bike in to tune it to run cooler in stop and go traffic which is to tune it to run richer. Richness causes the after fire in the exhaust (most confuse that with back fire, back fire is a lean condition that fires back into the carburetor/injection system.)

So since I needed it cool it has to run rich at idle so by design I will have the back talk I call it. If i tune it out it runs hot in stop and go traffic again.

Besides in my early years it was all about the glass packs and back talk so I like it.

Old 07-21-2017, 03:43 PM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member
Received 8,751 Likes on 3,962 Posts

Originally Posted by rjo3491
Hey folks:

I've used a Power Vision to tune my 96CI Dyna and after eight or so auto tune runes have it running very well. Only problem is I'm getting a heck of a lot of gurgle and more than an occasional pop on decel. I know I can go into the quick tune area and boost fuel in this part of the map, but before I start making changes, I was curious as to what others are doing.

I'm running a HD SE intake and V&H straight shots with quiet baffles (not really quite but I think they give me enough back pressure to run well).

Thanks for any advice!!
When you set up your auto tuning runs were you auto tuning in the below 30Kpa map area? That's the transient fuel/decel area and the O2 sensors will overcorrect the V/E tables leaning out that idle/near idle section and it leads to increased heat at idle and decel popping and burbling.

If you were not auto tuning in the below 30Kpa map area try using Quick Tune and add a few percent to the decel fueling and the decel V/E; it's a bit of trial and error adding to the decel fueling and decel V/E, but you'll find your bike and maps sweet spot. They don't all pop and burble

Old 07-21-2017, 04:13 PM
rjo3491
Road Master

Originally Posted by TinCupChalice
When you set up your auto tuning runs were you auto tuning in the below 30Kpa map area? That's the transient fuel/decel area and the O2 sensors will overcorrect the V/E tables leaning out that idle/near idle section and it leads to increased heat at idle and decel popping and burbling.

If you were not auto tuning in the below 30Kpa map area try using Quick Tune and add a few percent to the decel fueling and the decel V/E; it's a bit of trial and error adding to the decel fueling and decel V/E, but you'll find your bike and maps sweet spot. They don't all pop and burble

Thanks,

You may not recall,but you helped me a lot during my initial autotuning process (thanks again). I'll check the Kpa minimums and do a few more runs if necessary. After that, take the quick tune decel adjustment in +3-5% increments until the burbling gets better? Will I get any indication if I'm getting too rich - smell or carbon in the pipes?

Thanks!!

Old 07-21-2017, 07:41 PM
T^2
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,180 Likes on 732 Posts
Old 07-22-2017, 09:09 AM
rjo3491
Road Master

Thanks, I'll give all of this a try.

Old 07-22-2017, 10:09 PM
rjo3491
Road Master

Thanks much folks:

I went with the quick option first - +5% decel fuel boost and +3% decel spark boost. Just took a 50 mile ride and not a single pop. I'm getting a low, throaty burble now that I kind of like - I think I'm going to leave it like this since it's running so well in the power range. Next time I do an auto tune run, I'll check the Kpa minimums.

This was exactly what I needed. I wanted to try the quick tune for the decel area, but wasn't sure as to how much boost to add.

Thanks again!!