General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Call me stupid but I learned something new...

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2007 | 01:36 PM
anubisss
|
Banned
Default Call me stupid but I learned something new...

from the forum. I had posted about what gear you are in at 40mph recently and was surprised that most people were in a higher gear than I. Someone wrote that if you shift past 30mph you are just wasting gas anyway. I put that to the test last night when Scootergrrl and I went for a nice ride. Lo and behold they were aboslutely correct. And I can shift into third anywehre from 25 to 30 and be fine. I think that I am or have been a little bit more of an agressive rider than I like to admit. The pipes are louder if I wait longer to shift. You know the deal. So, I am going to ride like this more often and see if I can't get a lot beter gas mileage. The other thing Ihave noticed is that when I ride in a more relaxed fashion I rarely get decel popping of anything. I only get the decel popping when I am at a high speed in a low gear and decellerate hard. Interesting to me. I am hoping to tune out all of the decel popping one day. Oh yeah, ahving govs of torque is quite nice, and I think I would need to bve going really slowto lug my motor. Thanks guys, and have a great day.

Old 06-09-2007 | 01:57 PM
brzemo
Cruiser
Default RE: Call me stupid but I learned something new...

[sm=exactly.gif] Only need to downshift to get all the "extra" power / torque. It is fun to ride agressively at times, when the mode hits. More relaxed should help to improve gas mileage, with the prices in California every little bit helps. Let us know how it goes.
Have fun today.
Z

Old 06-09-2007 | 06:45 PM
shovel pat
Outstanding HDF Member

Stupid is not learning something new. Still gotta ride it like you stole it once in a while.

Old 06-09-2007 | 06:49 PM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member

3 easy steps......
twist,,squeeze,,lift
wrist,fingers,toe