Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Death Wobble

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2017, 10:45 AM
jlb2782
Road Captain
Received 195 Likes on 117 Posts

I had a nasty wobble when I started going around 70 mph. Took it to the dealer and found that the tube was folded over on itself when the tire and tube were installed at an indie. Obviously wont be using him again. But fwiw, the wobble didn't start until around 70 mph. Not sure if your tires are tubed or not. Just a thought.

Old 07-18-2017, 11:55 AM
Mid-Night-Rider
Tourer
Received 89 Likes on 50 Posts

I see these threads come up quite often. Too often. I've experienced this on my '09 Street Bob right about the same speed and was triggered after hitting a bump while in a long sweeper. For me, it was more of a swaying back & forth and it definitely wasn't in the handle bars.

Here is what I did in order:
-Stiffen rear suspension pre-load. Helped a little. (Uneven pre-load could cause wobble... in theory)
-New Tires (Metzelers) made a huge difference in every aspect compared to OEM.
-I added a stabilizer kit (Tru-Track), that helped quite a bit.
-Replaced motor mounts. No help. (But by this time, the sway/wobble was insignificant)
-Front end rebuilt by professional. New springs, fork oil, seals, etc. Also checked fall-away, neck bearings, & steering nuts. Front end is perfect. Overall handling improved significantly.

I still get the "Dyna Sway" on very rare occasions. If it does start to happen, I push more on the inside bar vs pulling on the outside bar and the sway goes away before it really even starts.

There's a long sweeping turn on my commute on the Interstate where it would happen every time I went around it at 80 mph and that one bump would set it off. I can now hit that turn at ANY speed with zero issues.

The following users liked this post:
crazyanimal (07-18-2017)
Old 07-18-2017, 01:09 PM
crazyanimal
Road Captain
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by JekyllnHyde
If it's a slow wobble in the front end, check the steering head bearings and that your steering head is adjusted correctly. Could be wheel bearings too. You're front tire will wear unevenly (in a scalloped kind of pattern) if it's your wheel bearings.

Only other thing I can think of is to check the motor mounts. Does the bike have any aftermarket stabilizers installed (True-Track)? Make sure everything is bolted snug down there. Do you have laced wheels? Make sure those spokes are tuned and not loose.

Curious to hear what you find out.
It is a slow wobble around 80 mph and gets worse as you try and approach wot,I don't ride at wot very much but every once in a while when I'm in the mood it's always nice to open it up,I don't stay there long and then I back off,I do have laced wheels and my front tire is good,not cupped evenly worn,the dealer is aware of my issue and will check everything out when I'm in for my service,the bike only has just under 40,000kms,or 24,000 miles,it's a 2011 and always taken care of,hopefully it can be fixed tomorrow.

Old 07-18-2017, 10:50 PM
JekyllnHyde
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 250 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by crazyanimal
It is a slow wobble around 80 mph and gets worse as you try and approach wot,I don't ride at wot very much but every once in a while when I'm in the mood it's always nice to open it up,I don't stay there long and then I back off,I do have laced wheels and my front tire is good,not cupped evenly worn,the dealer is aware of my issue and will check everything out when I'm in for my service,the bike only has just under 40,000kms,or 24,000 miles,it's a 2011 and always taken care of,hopefully it can be fixed tomorrow.
Hope they find the problem. Let is know what you find out. My wheel bearings went at about 23,000 miles. Not sure off you mentioned how long this slow wobble has been happening but if it's recent that scalloped wear wouldn't show up on your front tire this soon if it is the wheel bearings. I'd have them check them....easy to do.

One other thing. Forgot to mention this before. Check to see if the pinch bolts on your trees are tight. Don't ask me how I know, it's a real long story. lol That would definitely make the bike sway or slowly wobble.

The following users liked this post:
crazyanimal (07-19-2017)
Old 07-19-2017, 11:54 AM
QNman
Supporter
Received 3,716 Likes on 1,991 Posts

Originally Posted by crazyanimal
Finally was able to take the bike out yesterday without the windshield and I also checked the handlebar bolts,they were tight,still same result,not very nice riding without a windshield at high speeds,anyways,it's raining here today was supposed to get in for service but now it's been pushed back to Wednesday afternoon,I'll let you know how things go.
My dad's Dyna did the same thing... front motor mount was loose. Once tightened, wobble went away. Worth checking, anyway...

Old 07-19-2017, 01:23 PM
crazyanimal
Road Captain
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

At the dealer now ,just finished servicing my bike ,tire pressure was low front and rear,and the neck bearing was tightened, wasn't out a lot but with the tires and neck bearing he's betting that's what was causing my issue ,won't know for sure til I ride home ,and my front rotor was at the max so they are ordering a new one along with new bolts and that should be fixed next week.Thanks for the replys

Had a wonderful ride home was able to crank it up a bit and she ran great zero issues,so it seems problem is solved .

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 07-19-2017 at 10:52 PM.
Old 07-19-2017, 10:52 PM
JekyllnHyde
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 250 Likes on 146 Posts

good to hear!

Old 07-20-2017, 10:49 AM
TejasJeff
Tourer
Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

Yep great news!

Old 07-20-2017, 11:11 AM
QNman
Supporter
Received 3,716 Likes on 1,991 Posts

Fantastic!!

Old 07-21-2017, 06:32 PM
heybaylor
Stellar HDF Member
Received 142 Likes on 82 Posts

could have checked tire pressure with less time spent than on a forum.
sorry to sound crass, however that is a basic preride check

Quick Reply: Death Wobble