General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Salesman told me they put new tires on...

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2017, 12:39 AM
Cahdek
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Salesman told me they put new tires on...

... and even though I refuted it, he insisted that the tires were new.

I bought my 2014 FLD around November 1st 2016 with only 1700 miles on it. I've just reached 8K and it's time to replace the rear tire. If I knew then what I know now about tires I could've pointed out the "born on" date (3/2014) and called his BS. Yet, this is my first bike ever and I didn't know about the date stamp and, even though I was skeptical, still bought it.

After doing my due diligence of researching how to read tire wear and inspecting my tires, I'm noticing that the sidewalls of the front tire is looking dry and semi-cracked. I don't leave my bike out in the sun so it's not dried out from baking in Sacramento summer sun. More of an indication of an old tire.

My question: do I have any recourse against the dealership?

I own up to being a n00b and not being more informed at the time about reading tire wear and date of manufacture but that doesn't mean that they should use deceptive sales tactics.

Lie to me once and I'll never trust you again so I'm getting the rear tire replaced at a different dealership. Irritating that they have deceptive sale practices but not sure I can do anything about it

Old 07-14-2017, 01:22 AM
Fireguy88
Road Master
Received 56 Likes on 42 Posts

I highly doubt they replaced tires with only 1,700 miles on them. And unless you've got that in writing probably not much you can do. I mean, you can try. I wouldn't sweat it too much. Now you get to pick a tire that better suits your needs as a rider. And I wouldn't worry about the DOT number. Just because it was made in 2014 doesn't mean it didn't sit on a shelf for a year.
And ditch the "n00b" crap. This isn't Reddit or some videogame forum.

Old 07-14-2017, 03:30 AM
Prot
Club Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 15,815 Likes on 6,704 Posts

It is highly unlikely the tires were replaced with that few miles on them except if they were damaged.

If you would have any recourse, it would have been within the first 30 days of ownership.

Besides, the bike only had 1,700 miles on it, so the tires would not have had more mileage than that.

Tires are relatively inexpensive in the grand scheme of things. It is not like you had a lifter collapse and destroy the engine. They are also a wear item, particularly if you are heavy handed with the throttle.

The day I bought my bike, I rode it over 600 miles. That just gives you some perspective with regards to mileage.

If the cost of tires is going to make or break you, maybe you should reevaluate if this is something you want to do,

Last edited by Prot; 07-14-2017 at 03:40 AM.
Old 07-14-2017, 04:09 AM
LoneWoolf
Stellar HDF Member
Received 714 Likes on 488 Posts

I'm sure the dealer will be crushed that they have lost you as a customer.

Old 07-14-2017, 05:44 AM
CVO SG
Road Warrior
Received 252 Likes on 205 Posts

You'd be surprised that even your brand new tires you just put on your car yesterday are really brand new, if you go by the code date. New tires basically means never installed.

Old 07-14-2017, 06:04 AM
touchdown
Supporter
Veteran: Army
Received 1,795 Likes on 1,022 Posts

In 2014 they rep;aced my front tire because of cracks in the side walls.

Old 07-14-2017, 06:10 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 2,251 Likes on 1,642 Posts

Why not return to the dealer, hunt down the sales rep, show him the tires/date stamp and re-visit the original conversation where he stated they were new. If he doesn't recall, refresh his memory. Then, if he still has memory lapse issues, get his boss and discuss again.

You might not get what you want, but at least there's self-satisfaction in a face-to-face/man-to-man discussion of your issue. Who knows, could get you a discount...at a minimum. Won't know until you try.

Old 07-14-2017, 06:14 AM
heavymetalthunder
Grand HDF Member
Received 608 Likes on 442 Posts

If they didn't have the nubs still on them they were not new. A salesman LIE. If they are talking, they are lying. Nature of the beast. Life goes on enjoy your bike.

Old 07-14-2017, 06:45 AM
DaveE
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,035 Likes on 879 Posts

A 3 year old tire shouldn't have cracked sidewalls. 3 years isn't THAT old for a tire.

Old 07-14-2017, 07:01 AM
ronaldrwl
Road Warrior
Received 342 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveE
A 3 year old tire shouldn't have cracked sidewalls. 3 years isn't THAT old for a tire.
+1
That doesn't sound like normal wear.

Quick Reply: Salesman told me they put new tires on...