General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does this happen????

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2005, 07:52 PM
harleybiker
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does this happen????

I've read and have heard that after the 1000 mile break-in, the engine sounds different and feels different. Is this so? Thanks.

hb

Old 10-11-2005, 07:57 PM
Coaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default RE: Does this happen????

I'm no expert at this but I think the exhaust needs to be broke in and that changes the sound of the bike. Get that all "caked up" in there and you'll get a deeper sound. Not sure about the engine actually sounding different.

Old 10-11-2005, 08:33 PM
screamn_eagle
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HI STEVE,

ONE THING THAT WILL HAPPEN OVER TIME IS THAT THE SOUND DEADENING MATERIAL USED IN THE EXHAUST WILL BREAK DOWN OR MELT WITH CONTINUED USE. USUALLY ABOUT 5000 MILES OR SO BEFORE YOU CAN NOTICE A DIFFERENCE AS FAR AS THE ENGINE ITSELF I CANT SAY I KNOW ENOUGH TO HEAR A DIFFERENCE OR REALLY FEEL A DIFFERENCE BUT ONE WOULD THINK IT LOOSENS UP.

Old 10-11-2005, 08:34 PM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,270 Likes on 1,976 Posts

I have been told that there is a breaking in process that takes place when you first start putting some miles on your scoot. I'm not sure how long that it takes, but they say that it happens with all bikes. I guess that it's just like with everything else, it just takes time for everything to wear in and start running smoother.

Old 10-11-2005, 10:00 PM
Wolf
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I noticed no change until the bike got 4500 miles on it, then for some reason, it started running better, as in smoother and a tiny bit more power. That little bell I put on my bike that Mrs. Wolf gave me is apparently magic.....

Howl,

Wolf

Old 10-11-2005, 11:39 PM
buckanddot
Cruiser

from my experience, the twin cams don't really get broke in till around 7500 miles....as for the sound change after 1000 miles I can think of a coupla reasons this may be....

1.) It takes that long to lose that big *** smile on your face and it's hard to hear right with your face all scrunched up like that.

2.) After 1000 miles or so you start to discern or differentiate all the subtle noises that seem to all mull together at first. Like the sound of the front tire on the road, the valve train noise that resembles your ma's sewing machine, and the wind flappin your lips cause you got that big *** grin still on your face.

Old 10-11-2005, 11:50 PM
cowboy Harry
Road Warrior

Dang, now I cant remember. Im gonna have to get me another new bike just to see.

Old 10-11-2005, 11:56 PM
Coaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

1.) It takes that long to lose that big *** smile on your face and it's hard to hear right with your face all scrunched up like that.

2.) After 1000 miles or so you start to discern or differentiate all the subtle noises that seem to all mull together at first. Like the sound of the front tire on the road, the valve train noise that resembles your ma's sewing machine, and the wind flappin your lips cause you got that big *** grin still on your face.
[sm=funnypostabove.gif]

Old 10-12-2005, 01:30 AM
mikeisglidn
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

my friend just bought an 06 classic they told him that soon after 1000 miles the ecu is programed to up the timing, and his bike started haulin butt!!

Old 10-12-2005, 02:21 AM
screwball
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 65 Posts

ORIGINAL: buckanddot

Got nearly 20,000 miles on this bike, and a ton of miles on past Harleys and I still get a big *** smile when I swing a leg over. Ya know, I don't remember that good feeling when we had the Jap bikes.

Quick Reply: Does this happen????