General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TOURING TIPS

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2007 | 10:32 AM
Blackmouth
|
Road Master
Default TOURING TIPS

Sorry if this is a repost,but...

I thought about putting this in the "touring" section, but then I realized a lot of you take long rides on non-touring bikes, too.

Here are some GREAT tips to prepare you for any long trip:
http://www.amadirectlink.com/roadrid.../33secrets.asp

RIDE SAFE!

Old 06-08-2007 | 12:01 PM
Darryl88
Road Captain
Default RE: TOURING TIPS

good tips..thanks

Old 06-08-2007 | 12:23 PM
dynamike74
Outstanding HDF Member

That's some awesome stuff. Thanks for sharing!

Old 06-08-2007 | 12:33 PM
LTrain
Road Master

There are some great tips there. Of course, not every tip (from any source) will work for everyone. I have some comments:

1) Eat at weird times. Everyone and their dog eats around 8 a.m., noon and 6 p.m. To get in and out of restaurants in a hurry, don’t be hungry then.

If I'm out of the bigger cities and suburbs, I actually like meeting the locals, especially farmers. Other than that, I agree, avoid the commuters and Sunday brunchers.

I also have been known to just hit a grocery store and buy bread, peanut butter/jelly or lunchmeat, some bananas and eat in the parking lot or back at a campground. If there's any left, I've given it to other campers so I didn't have to carry it.

2) A short metal cable with loops on both ends (like those made to keep people from stealing bicycle seats) is perfect for securing a jacket and helmet to your bike’s helmet lock.

Does a 2005 Superglide have a helmet lock? In any case, I've used chain locks through the rims of the tire and sometimes telephone poles and such to protect the whole bike.

3) Carry a spare key. Zip-tie or duct tape it somewhere hidden on your bike, or better yet, give it to a traveling companion.

Good one. I always carry an extra bike key, as well as extra of anything I can't do without. Several sets of contact lenses, and back up glasses. Keep at least one credit card and ID in a different pocket than all the rest.

4) Portable weather radios are now in the $20 range, and the first time one saves you from running right into a massive storm,...

To me that takes some of the fun out of it. To each their own. One of the best rides I had, the then gf and I were touring two-up in the plains and we could see a huge thunderstorm coming from the west. We raced that ***** and just barely lost. We ended up under a canapy giggling like9-year oldsjust did the flaming bag of poo trick on a mean old man, as I was wringing out my socks!

7) Take a tip from off-road riders and carry a backpack hydration system so you can drink while you ride. A must for arid weather.

How do you keep the little hose near your mouth and not flapping all over in a full face helmet. Oh, and any type of backpack on the driver doesn't seem to work well 2-up on a stock superglide seat. Extra water and juice in the packs works for me, even if it gets a bit warm. I've frozen water over night, and by the time I "need" it, it's melted, yet still cool.

8) Going on a long, complex trip? Keep yourself organized with the envelope system. Before you leave, prepare one envelope for each day on the road. Mark the dates and locations on the outside, then stuff things like hotel reservation info and lists of things to see inside. Instead of juggling your entire stack of literature to find the piece you need, you can just open up that day’s envelope.

How do you know where you're going to be on a given day? I usually don't even know where I'm going when I leave. Every stop, I look at a map and pick a "good route" and only in the later afternoon start aiming towards a campground.

9) A simple map case attached to your bike’s tank (we’ve used a Rev-Pak version that has been available through www.whitehorsepress.com for years) can keep you on course without the bulk of a tankbag.

On course? I don't know what you mean? Plus I don't like anything on my tank.

10) Keep your stuff dry in saddlebags by using trash compactor bags as waterproof barriers. They’re thicker and more durable than standard garbage bags.

What are these "saddlebags" you refer to? I use a bedroll on the front fork, stuff cargo pants and my jacket (my jacket ends up looking like web gear) and the gf, if she's there, or I wear

Old 06-08-2007 | 12:38 PM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member

Some good suggestions. Thanks.

Old 06-08-2007 | 12:44 PM
dynamike74
Outstanding HDF Member

A nap can do wonders anytime!
[sm=funnypostabove.gif]

Some of the other things you said were good advice as well.

Mike