General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

West Virginia

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2017, 03:24 AM
Tarkus60
Road Warrior

Received 305 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by 01fxdxt
Don't camp in a "dry" county!
Dang it......
Thanks guys keep them coming. This going to be a great ride!

Old 06-19-2017, 05:35 AM
farmboy555
Road Warrior
Received 105 Likes on 96 Posts

Route 60 west out of charleston thru hawk nest state park is a good ride
But the whole state is great riding

Old 06-19-2017, 06:00 AM
kap1
Road Captain
Received 113 Likes on 86 Posts

Haven't done 60 since 80's I wonder if the Mystery Hole is still there? Dolly Sods is one of my favorite places on earth and it is close to Seneca Rocks. Lot's of great rides already mentioned. I lived around there for a few yrs. Just about any SR in WV is a good ride, imo.

Old 06-19-2017, 06:12 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,101 Likes on 3,649 Posts

Look at all the roads people have mentioned, look at google maps and find other really squirrelly roads and take one... they have some if the best views I have encountered in my Appalachia riding in the past 12 years. Beautiful area and the people are very friendly.

Old 06-19-2017, 06:24 AM
ken mcduff
Road Warrior
Received 453 Likes on 284 Posts

Us 60 is beautiful but take your time.

Old 06-19-2017, 06:50 AM
Mean Stu
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Head to Spruce ****. It's the highest elevation point in WV. Great ride up and down and worth the view. There's a restaurant at the turn off from the main highway. Good food.

Old 06-19-2017, 07:01 AM
Cygnusx51
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,649 Likes on 1,077 Posts

I just got back from a week staying in the Seneca Rocks area, Germany Valley Cabins to be exact. All the great rides have been mentioned mostly but there's plenty more.

Check out Smoke Hole Road if you're over that way. Also, the mountain pass on 33 from Franklin over to Harrisonburg, VA was a great rip up and down for sure.

Be ready for the rain. Every day at about 1-3pm, the skies would open up and just completely wash you right off of the road.

Last edited by Cygnusx51; 06-19-2017 at 08:28 AM.
Old 06-19-2017, 07:23 AM
RaSh
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 14,524 Likes on 5,850 Posts

Another vote for the Seneca Rocks, and yes roadside Pressure Fried chicken is awesome.

Had a couple of great laughs at roadside signs down that way, while riding the back roads I actually saw a sign on the side of a hill on a farm NEED WIFE with a phone number, and my favorite, a large tall steel girder sign meant to be seen from the distant highway GUNS, FIREWORKS, BREAD, BEER, over what was essentially a small country store on the side of a road.
Hey, they had all the essentials.

Beautiful country in the Canaan Valley area.

Old 06-19-2017, 08:48 AM
Geezr Glidr
Grand HDF Member
Received 262 Likes on 130 Posts

I'm from upstate PA, but discovered WV last year when I was at my sister's near Columbus, and decided to take the long way home, through WV. Liked it so much that I've been there 3 or 4 times. I'm sure there's so much more down there, but here are a few roads & things to see that I've done so far.

Trans Alleghany Lunatic Asylum in Weston WV. Gotta go see it. It's an old mental hospital that was closed in 1994, and now has tours through it. Right on Rt 33 in Weston, and near 79. Google it, and see what it is. Kinda creepy, but pretty cool.

Stayed overnight in Buckhannon, and rode 33 to Seneca Rocks. Gotta go see Seneca Rocks. The best part of the ride is the section of 33 between Elkins & Seneca Rocks. Take binoculars, and you can go to the visitor's ctr, and might be able to see rock climbers. From the rocks, we rode up to Spruce ****. A cool ride to get up there. Go all the way to the top, and walk a few hundred feet from the parking lot to the observation tower. From there, backtrack to Seneca Rocks again, and 28 up to Petersburg, and then 42 up to 50 was a great ride.

50 from Bridgeport WV all the way to Keyser MD is a great ride. 50 is where Cool Springs Park is.

A few of us went to Bridge Day last fall. The 1 day a year it's legal to base jump from New River Gorge Bridge. What a fun day. Just before you get to the bridge, on 19 south, there's a visitor's ctr on the left, and I can't believe you could get a better view from anywhere else. I never tried to ride to the bottom. Somebody on here once mentioned that there was a steep dirt road with a few sharp turns, and he dumped an Ultra on the way back up. That must've been fun. After hearing that, I decided to stay on the "main road" since I don't know the area. We walked all the way down the steps at the visitor's ctr, and had a great view.

That's about it for my WV experience, but I'm not done exploring yet! I heard 33 all the way to Harrisonburg VA is a great ride too. I love train rides, and going down soon to do the Cass Railroad ride. As somebody mentioned, take a look at Google Maps, and if the road is squiggly twisty turny, it's probably a fantastic ride. The roads are all in great shape down there. When I go for the train ride, I'll just look at Google Maps, and find roads that way!

Old 06-19-2017, 10:39 AM
16RGS
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As mentioned earlier Petersburg is a great place. There is a great motel, Fort Hill Motel, with great rates 65.00 per night and very friendly owners. I go there every year. 33 to Harrisonburg is a great ride. Eat at the Union Station Restaurant and Bar in Harrisonburg. Great food and drink. Get over to Cannan Valley and find Rt 72. Friends we ride with think it rivals the Tail of the Dragon.

Quick Reply: West Virginia