General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stop light sharing.

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2007, 10:29 AM
TXjammer
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Stop light sharing.

ORIGINAL: Ratbasturd

I don't mind if they pull up if I have seen them back there, what I don't like is when someone whips up next to me when I haven't seen them. When I come up on another bike at a light I pull up to a staggered posistion where I can be seen in his mirror

Years back I had a motorcycle cop that tried to slide up next to me(while rollin the lower deak of I-35) and tell me to slow down, about the same time I did a fast right hand lane change to whip in front of an 18 wheeler. I never saw him and nearly clipped his front tire as I cut across his path, I got a ticket for speedin after that, but I bet he don't pull up on people like that any more. If I would have cliped his tire it would have probably put him under the big rig.
Oh CHIT!!!! So I guess you and that cop didn't become riding partners after all?

Old 06-08-2007, 10:30 AM
Stache
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Never really thought about it much. I typically would not just pull up along side someone in the same lane I didn't know. More likely, if there is room I might ease up, front fender tip about even to rear fender tip, more or less and stop. If the rider acknowledges me, a wave, a nod .. then I'd do the same. If they turn their head around and try to talk to me, I'd probalby pull up along side.

Now I have pulled up along side someone in the next lane, just like you would anytime, car or bike. At times a few words are exchanged like 'nice bike', 'good day for a ride' .. what ever ... then again .. sometimes its just a nod and we go on our way.

I have to think the OP is right to a large degree. Respect other peoples space. At the same time, I don't think most people mind being approaced in a friendly manner and strikeing up a conversation, though a 30 second red light might not be the best venue for that.

Old 06-08-2007, 10:41 AM
jskelington
Road Captain

This is why I always parallel park at all lights. It takes a few minutes but it keeps them peskypeople away.

Old 06-08-2007, 10:41 AM
paulca
Road Captain

As filtering is legal and universally practised in the UK it's inevitable you share a red light with another rider at some time or other, it's no big deal.

Old 06-08-2007, 10:52 AM
glebo
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 1,116 Likes on 357 Posts

ORIGINAL: Stache

Never really thought about it much. I typically would not just pull up along side someone in the same lane I didn't know. More likely, if there is room I might ease up, front fender tip about even to rear fender tip, more or less and stop. If the rider acknowledges me, a wave, a nod .. then I'd do the same. If they turn their head around and try to talk to me, I'd probalby pull up along side.

Now I have pulled up along side someone in the next lane, just like you would anytime, car or bike. At times a few words are exchanged like 'nice bike', 'good day for a ride' .. what ever ... then again .. sometimes its just a nod and we go on our way.

I have to think the OP is right to a large degree. Respect other peoples space. At the same time, I don't think most people mind being approaced in a friendly manner and strikeing up a conversation, though a 30 second red light might not be the best venue for that.
my thoughts exactley, I wouldn't arbitrarily pull up next to some one, but I dont mind if if someone does...nothing wrong with some friendly chatter at the light. It has happened a few times, then we go off and ride separately. Don't bother me at all.

Old 06-08-2007, 10:52 AM
Stache
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: paulca

As filtering is legal and universally practised in the UK it's inevitable you share a red light with another rider at some time or other, it's no big deal.
'filtering' .... now I like that

Old 06-08-2007, 11:17 AM
notorious
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: Panhead_1_9_4_8

ORIGINAL: DirtyDave

Don't you hate it when someone you don't know comes up next to you at a stop light (same lane) and stops! [:@]I ask them, in a unfriendly tone,"do you know me?" When they say "no", I tell them to get the F@#K out of MY space! I always stop in the center of the lane to try to discourge it from happening, but some people are just ignoant.[sm=icon_beat.gif]
Doesn't bother me ... if someone told me to get the F$%k out of their space ... one of us is getting his a$$ kicked and I don't care which.
Yea, What pan-head said. I deal with BS each day why would I want to deal withit on my easy time?

Dave, Easy Tiger, Justa little tip--Over.

Old 06-08-2007, 12:05 PM
drrandall1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't mind when someone pulls up next to me. Only another harley though. I won't pull up next to them unless they give me the motion.

Old 06-08-2007, 12:11 PM
GOSTAZ
Road Master

I do not pull up next to people. I stay staggered and to their rear. If I do not know someone, I do not want to share a lane with them, stopped or rolling. Just an invitation to get to pay for someone else's mistake or put yourself in a position to make one.

Old 06-08-2007, 12:33 PM
hughtwg
Tourer

Doesn't bother me in the least. In fact I actively encourage it.

_hugh

Quick Reply: Stop light sharing.