General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mounting a Zumo 660 on a Milwaukee Eight

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2017, 04:14 PM
JimmyDee
Road Master
Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Mounting a Zumo 660 on a Milwaukee Eight

Might be that I am just more familiar with the Garmin Zumo than the M-8's Boom Box GPS, but for the present I like the Garmin 660 much better. Aside from some of Garmin's features that I like, I believe that the Garmin has a larger map database.

I stopped in a dealer when returning home from a short trip, parts did not know if it was possible but ran several pages of info for me and said that this might help. When I got home, it turns out the the literature that he gave me was the same thing I received in the box with my Zumo when I purchased it.

I was wondering if anyone knows if the 660 can be interfaced with the M-8's system? I enjoy the radio for music, just not a big fan of HD's GPS.

Old 06-12-2017, 07:37 PM
Prot
Club Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 15,816 Likes on 6,705 Posts

Navteq is the map provider for most gps systems.

I do not think it is possible to add an external gps that would interface with the onboard gps regardless of what year motorcycle or car you are talking about.

It has been my observation that most people only know how to use less than half the features of gps and other sophisticated electronics like smart phones etc.

Here is a link to the non Harley branded garmin product.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/cOnT...cycles-p1.html

If you aren't going to use the onboard gps, then that is one seriously over priced radio on your bike.

I'm betting you have some kind of large touch screen smart phone. There are many gps programs for those that do not require a cell signal for positioning or mapping since the phone has a GPS receiver and the better programs store the map locally instead of chewing up data and requiring a cell phone signal. I have a program made by garmin on my iPhone for example. I think something like that would be a better option if you can't figure out the onboard system and would prevent you from having yet another device to charge, update, maintain etc.

Old 06-13-2017, 05:16 AM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,268 Likes on 7,397 Posts

Nothing wrong with a Zumo, used them for years. But with all due respect you are going backwards. Embrace the new Bluetooth technology and you will be glad you did.

First off backing up a little learn the Boom system. It seems complicated but really is not. I plug my battery tender in and have spent a lot of time playing with it in the garage. Next watch some you tube videos. You can easily learn the system. The beautiful thing is with you headset you can press the speak button on the left control, say "destination" and speak the address and it will load for you.

Next is Bluetooth. That is the current best thing since sliced bread. Forget the Zumo and buy a Ram x-mount or a Tech Mount for your smart phone and put it right on your handle bars. They work GREAT. There is nothing better or more accurate than Google maps. It is always up to date. I have an Android phone and really like "Android Auto". Again I can just speak my destination, address or name and it loads almost instantly and I hear it over the bikes speakers or headset. It also controls my music. I use Spotify and the nice thing is I use exactly the same in my car via Bluetooth. It keeps everything simple and consistent.

I have a Zumo that has been in my desk drawer a year now.

Give it a try you will be glad you did. I am also very surprised at how well the phone works while riding. I where a half helment and my wife tells me she cannot hear the bike or wind noise when I call her. I was leading a group of 12 bikes on a 200 mile ride a few weeks back. Hit the speak button, said call wife and presto!

Old 06-13-2017, 07:00 AM
JimmyDee
Road Master
Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts

All good comments, it is not the fact that I find operating the HD GPS difficult I just don't feel that the database is as complete as Garmin's Zumo. Example: On several occasions Zumo would find a street that I was requesting and the HD unit could not.

Prot I understand about the expensive radio, but have you ever tried to purchase a different option from Harley? (small screen smart phone here S6)

I used the word interface maybe I should have used 'override' the HD's GPS.

Cosmic Razorback, I have never tried the Bluetooth route primarily because I don't have a half helmet headset. You make it sound interesting and might be worth a try and as Prot mentioned it would be adding another device that needs to be charged (phone) just like a Zumo, if I understand what you are saying.

Thank you both for responding ...Jim

Old 06-13-2017, 07:05 AM
biglew55
Road Captain
Veteran: Air Force
Received 454 Likes on 241 Posts

I would recommend you do some more searching. There are several threads on how to mount a zumo to the Boom! head unit and have it work as part of the system. I have contributed to many of them.

The short answer is that it can be done, it's not hard, and it works way better than the built-in system.

Start with reading the directions included with this part (that you would need to install).

https://www.harley-davidson.com/stor...iary-input-kit

Old 06-13-2017, 07:16 AM
scumBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

I love my zumo. the boom sys cant beat what the zumo can do!! putting a entire 2 week trip into a zumo and go, it will never re route unless you miss a turn I like how zumo has your speed, the posted speed of the road, how long before you turn and how long to destination all on the main screen

Old 06-14-2017, 05:26 AM
Prot
Club Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 15,816 Likes on 6,705 Posts

Check for map updates. A map update is almost always a separate download than a software update.

Another thing worth experimenting with is most gps units have settings that let you adjust the level of detail.

Keep in mind, I have never used Harley's boom system or any of the branded HD gps. I do know a lot about gps though. What applies to brand x usually applies to brand z.

On the consumer side, I have an interest in it sort of like minor hobby. On the technical side, I work for a huge world wide surveying company, and gps systems are one of the many tools of the trade. That's a lot different than consumer gps though. We maintain our own data base and build maps etc, mostly for the oil and gas industry, but other sectors as well.

When it boots up, it should have mapping information such as navteq 2016 version xxxx or something similar. You can usually get that information on an About screen or System Information.