General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding in high winds is a pain in the neck.....literally

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2017, 10:14 AM
Big Boz
Road Captain
Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Riding in high winds is a pain in the neck.....literally

We knew the winds were going to be in the mid 20 mph range yesterday, but hey, if you wait for the perfect day to ride, you won't get much riding in. The first 2 hours of the ride were great as we were riding in a wooded area and were unaffected. As we turned west, and later SW, we hit more open farm fields, and we were just beaten up. A lunch time weather check showed gusting into the mid 30 mph range. At times it felt like someone was slapping me in the face, especially when combined with oncoming wind blast from the tractor-trailers. I am amazed at how large a grain of dirt feels when it is stuck under an eyelid. My neck is killing me this morning, and yesterday I remember thinking that I would much rather ride in the rain than in wind like that.

Old 06-11-2017, 10:22 AM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,144 Likes on 12,037 Posts

We routinely have 50-60 mph winds and gusts up here in the Sierras. Usually happens after a cold front passes. The mountains also accelerate the winds. Lenticular and mountain wave clouds are also common sights.
I have ridden sideways in screaming crosswinds, let the bike move and don't fight it.
I10 area around Banning, California are also famous for winds. You are at full throttle if you have a head wind on that freeway. With a tailwind, you ride at 80 mph with a closed throttle.

Last edited by upflying; 06-11-2017 at 10:24 AM.
Old 06-11-2017, 10:24 AM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,075 Likes on 2,558 Posts

During the spring months here in Texas, we have a lot of southerly winds, some very strong. It's never bothered my neck but it kills my left shoulder, mostly due to minor injury years ago and scar tissue.

As for sand/dirt, I have a face shield and SO FAR, I've never been bothered by anything in my eyes.

Old 06-11-2017, 10:29 AM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,913 Likes on 4,135 Posts

I take it you don't have a windshield. Your neck pain is the reason I never ride without my windshield. It helps in the rain also.

The disadvantage of using the windshield on a very windy day is a decrease in fuel economy. I lose about 1-2 mpg due to the resistance of the windshield on a normal day and more on very windy days. But, no neck pain.

Hope your neck feels better.

Old 06-11-2017, 01:38 PM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,764 Likes on 2,016 Posts

Originally Posted by Bone Doc
I take it you don't have a windshield. Your neck pain is the reason I never ride without my windshield. It helps in the rain also.

The disadvantage of using the windshield on a very windy day is a decrease in fuel economy. I lose about 1-2 mpg due to the resistance of the windshield on a normal day and more on very windy days. But, no neck pain.

Hope your neck feels better.
This right here! Get a windshield.

Old 06-11-2017, 03:38 PM
Jgig
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 on the wind shield, although sometimes you can get some buffeting. Also, if you wear a lid. It is amazing how different helmets are more areo. If it is very windy, I wear my shoei. It is brilliant in the wind.
I use to ride BMW gs's and duc multistrada, The motorcycle would get blown around quite a bit! That is the first thing I noticed on my HD, that motorcycle is planted. Very stable, I feel it more then the bike as I prefer a naked bike (no shield).

Old 06-11-2017, 03:41 PM
Big Boz
Road Captain
Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Bone Doc
Bagger with fairing and 8 1/2" windshield and also using a full face helmet. Pretty sure it was just the choppy gusts. I think that this combination is the cause of the dirt in the eyes too. The negative pressure behind the windshield allows the dirt to sort of float up and remain inside the helmet. I have noticed it while riding in rain as I can see the droplets move slowly across my field of vision. Looking at getting a chin screen to remedy that.