General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

pcIII usb on the way...

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 12:32 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Default pcIII usb on the way...

Got a new one off of ebay for $80 yesterday. I have the pcIIIr which doesn't have the throttle postion setting and a few other things on it, so I will sell that on ebay hopefully for $80 as well. I am awaiting it for installation to see if I can get rid of all of the decel popping. One question. Do you need the 9v battery adapter to load a map into it or do I jsut need to hook it to my laptop? Anyone? Thanks.

Old 06-07-2007, 01:12 PM
nicko99
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: pcIII usb on the way...

You can connect the 9v for power or wait until it is installed on the bike to map it.

It only takes a few seconds to map. I used the 9v.

I also left the USB cable connected and left it hanging next to my battery tender cord for future use, rather than having to tear the bike apart to remap.

Old 06-07-2007, 03:21 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

So the 9v is only necessary if you map it OFF the bike? Good. Correct me if I am wrong...

Old 06-07-2007, 09:19 PM
Soft06
Outstanding HDF Member

You're correct. The 9volt is for mapping the unit away from the bike. Such as for people that have "desktop computers", instead of a portable laptop.

Old 06-07-2007, 10:37 PM
T Tommyt
Road Warrior

you don't need it on the Bike , But they Prefer you to use it when sending maps
Do you have a custom map ??

Old 06-08-2007, 08:44 AM
kwas
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: anubisss
One question. Do you need the 9v battery adapter to load a map into it or do I jsut need to hook it to my laptop? Anyone? Thanks.
The 9v battery comes into play off the bike due to the fact there is no power to the PCiii without it. When the PCiii is on the bike, you have to have the ignition on in order to up load a map to it.

Also Nikko is on the money as far as leaving the USB connected, especially for the first couple tweakings. After you get it where you want it then disconnect and put the USB cable away.

Old 06-08-2007, 08:56 AM
Bassman
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make sure you put some dielectric grease in the connectors and as an added measure I wrapped the big connector in saran wrap and tape.
I did not originally do the above and learned the hard way a couple of weeks ago when I got caught in a downpour and the bike started acting up. When I got home, opened the connector and it had water in it. Even managed to get water in the O2 eliminators

Old 06-08-2007, 12:55 PM
italian biker
Road Master
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: anubisss

Got a new one off of ebay for $80 yesterday. I have the pcIIIr which doesn't have the throttle postion setting and a few other things on it, so I will sell that on ebay hopefully for $80 as well. I am awaiting it for installation to see if I can get rid of all of the decel popping. One question. Do you need the 9v battery adapter to load a map into it or do I jsut need to hook it to my laptop? Anyone? Thanks.
I'm just shocked at the price you found that at, and was able to get it at that price.

Old 06-08-2007, 12:59 PM
Road_Clam
Road Captain
Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

My PCIII will only send maps with the 9V adapter plugged in. If I just plug in the USB cable on the bike, nothing will happen until I plug in the 9V adapter. Then everything works fine.

Old 06-08-2007, 01:08 PM
MCSarge
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 447 Likes on 309 Posts

The bike has to be running for you to program the PCIII. It gets its power from the fuel pump circuit. If the bike isn't running to supply the power it won't load the program. Use the 9 volt battery ( a new one ) to program it off or on the bike if the bike isn't running, (not just having the key on, the bike has to be actually runing under its own power). I know thats how I had to do it on my 06 RK. The fuel pump circuit cuts out after a few seconds and doesn't restart until the starter button is pushed.

Quick Reply: pcIII usb on the way...