General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

baffles

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 08:52 AM
jerseyjeff62
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default baffles

what to do about loose baffles? i have mufflers that have a long baffle(10/12") and it only bolted on at the end of the muffler.but the other end you can hear is loose.

Old 06-07-2007, 09:31 AM
jammer25309
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: baffles

My first question is are these new pipes? If so, they should be under warranty and the pipes should be replaced at their cost, or at least send you some new baffles that don't rattle. I remember reading a post a while back of some people having problems with a particular brand of mufflers with the baffles rattling and the manufacturer sent them new baffles. Sorry, I can't remember the name brand of the mufflers but maybe someone reading this will know. What brand of mufflers and what brand of baffles are you using? If you are running a separate set of baffles other than what came with the mufflers such as the Rush baffles, then there is an obvious chance that they just don't fit properly. If your mufflers are out of warranty then you can maybe do what I did one time with a set of baffles that didn't fit so well. First, I am assuming that your baffles are flared on each end andshould fit very snug inside your mufflers. Your screws are securing your baffles on the exit end of your mufflers but there are no screws at the upper end to secure that end because they should fit very tight inside the mufflers at that end and shouldn't need any screws. What I did in a similar case was to run ascrew through the muffler and into each flared end of the baffle that are deep inside the muffler and it took away any rattling whatsoever. But, you first have to remove the baffle and measure from the front tip of the baffle to the midway point on the flare that's deep inside your muffler. Then, measure your muffler on the outside the exact same distance. This will give you the location where you will drill your muffler and the drill hole should go right into the midway point on the upper end of your baffle. Reinsert your baffle and drill the hole through the muffler and into the baffle. Now, here's the thing that worked for me. I drilled the hole a little smaller than the screw I was going to be using. I then used a steel screw that was slightly larger than the hole I drilled. I used a screw with a deep torx head so I could get a good bite on the screw with my torx wrench without stripping out the head of the screw as it will take alot of elbow grease to get the screw through the muffler and into the baffle. I used some permanent locktite on the screw and screwed itup through the drill holeand into the baffle. This procedure stopped the rattling and has never ever even began to come loose! This isa quickfix that worked for me, but if you would liketo have a more professional job done then you can always haveyour baffle and muffler drilled and tapped. Hope this info will help you, and good luck!

Old 06-07-2007, 09:45 AM
Mikey 1450
Road Master
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

You could take your baffles to a automotive muffler shop that has a pipe bender. The pipe bender will also expand tubing. I would take both mufflers and both baffles and have the guyslightly expand the end ofeach baffle to fitsnug in that muffler. You have to be very care,because if you expand too far, the baffles will notfit back into the muffler housing. Thereare other ways to correct your problem,adding bolts, aluminum tape etc., this is just one that I have used in the past.

Old 06-07-2007, 10:57 AM
jerseyjeff62
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: jammer25309

My first question is are these new pipes? If so, they should be under warranty and the pipes should be replaced at their cost, or at least send you some new baffles that don't rattle. I remember reading a post a while back of some people having problems with a particular brand of mufflers with the baffles rattling and the manufacturer sent them new baffles. Sorry, I can't remember the name brand of the mufflers but maybe someone reading this will know. What brand of mufflers and what brand of baffles are you using? If you are running a separate set of baffles other than what came with the mufflers such as the Rush baffles, then there is an obvious chance that they just don't fit properly. If your mufflers are out of warranty then you can maybe do what I did one time with a set of baffles that didn't fit so well. First, I am assuming that your baffles are flared on each end andshould fit very snug inside your mufflers. Your screws are securing your baffles on the exit end of your mufflers but there are no screws at the upper end to secure that end because they should fit very tight inside the mufflers at that end and shouldn't need any screws. What I did in a similar case was to run ascrew through the muffler and into each flared end of the baffle that are deep inside the muffler and it took away any rattling whatsoever. But, you first have to remove the baffle and measure from the front tip of the baffle to the midway point on the flare that's deep inside your muffler. Then, measure your muffler on the outside the exact same distance. This will give you the location where you will drill your muffler and the drill hole should go right into the midway point on the upper end of your baffle. Reinsert your baffle and drill the hole through the muffler and into the baffle. Now, here's the thing that worked for me. I drilled the hole a little smaller than the screw I was going to be using. I then used a steel screw that was slightly larger than the hole I drilled. I used a screw with a deep torx head so I could get a good bite on the screw with my torx wrench without stripping out the head of the screw as it will take alot of elbow grease to get the screw through the muffler and into the baffle. I used some permanent locktite on the screw and screwed itup through the drill holeand into the baffle. This procedure stopped the rattling and has never ever even began to come loose! This isa quickfix that worked for me, but if you would liketo have a more professional job done then you can always haveyour baffle and muffler drilled and tapped. Hope this info will help you, and good luck!
[align=center] [/align]
that's what i was thinking of doing.thanks