General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To buy an 06 or holdout for the 07s?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2005 | 10:02 AM
turbo38sfi
|
Road Master
Default RE: To buy an 06 or holdout for the 07s?

I don't have a tach on my roadking, but if I had to guess by my "Ear tach" I'd say that I was around 3200 or so at 70mph, is that close? Definitely get a lot more miles to the tank on a long trip going 60-65 vs 75.

Old 10-12-2005 | 11:11 AM
Twohulabears
Road Captain

Turbo, I am in the same boat as you. I am wondering if I should wait or not (although I am not sure if I even COULD wait). I read in the Touring forum that they might also put a bigger engine in the 07's, but who knows.

Old 10-12-2005 | 11:15 AM
Twohulabears
Road Captain

Here is the link https://www.hdforums.com/m_132989/tm.htm

Old 10-12-2005 | 12:42 PM
imboden
Stellar HDF Member

plus, I forgot to mention, I don't know if I could contain myself, my excitment goes up sooo much when it's time to get a new scoot. I don't think I could wait.
honestly the only thing I can compare my excitment to is a kid at christmas time....I get excited just thinkin about other people gettin a new scoot, so maybe I just wanna see those pictures of the new one!!

Old 11-30-2005 | 11:02 AM
turbo38sfi
|
Road Master

Anyone else read this?? Guess that's why they only tried the 6 spd in one model..can you imagine if they put it in the touring models too!!

AP
Harley Announces Recall of 13,400 Bikes
Wednesday November 23, 3:21 pm ET
Harley Announces Recall of 13,400 Model 2006 Dyna Motorcycles

MILWAUKEE (AP) -- Harley-Davidson Inc. issued a voluntary safety recall on 2006 model Dyna series motorcycles built between June 9 and Oct. 19 due to a transmission defect.
The company said late Tuesday the recall affects some 13,400 motorcycles and is expected to cost less than $5 million, which it will make reservations for in the fourth quarter.

Harley-Davidson also said it expects to meet its previously announced wholesale shipment target of 329,000 motorcycles for 2005.

The Milwaukee-based company said it will provide owners with free pickup and delivery and will make recall kits, which include three redesigned transmission components, available at dealerships starting the week of Dec. 12.

The defect may allow the motorcycles to go into a false neutral position even though the neutral indicator light is illuminated, it said.

"If that happens, the transmission could engage into first or second gear unexpectedly," Harley-Davidson spokesman Bob Klein said Wednesday.

Two accidents related to the problem were reported, but none resulted in injury, Klein said.

The defect resulted from a design flaw in the six-speed transmission, which replaced the five-speed on the Dyna to make for a smoother ride at highway speeds and increase fuel efficiency, Klein said.

The redesign also resulted in a change to the front forks, chassis and a wider rear tire.

Shipments of the 2006 Dyna had been delayed but resumed after a change to production, he said.

Harley-Davidson shares rose $1.20, or 2.2 percent, to $55.67 in Wednesday afternoon trading on the New York Stock Exchange, amid a general gain in market prices on optimism over consumer spending this holiday season.

Harley-Davidson: http://www.harley-davidson.com

Old 11-30-2005 | 12:07 PM
lil_gmac2
Outstanding HDF Member

I don't think harley is going to put the 6 spd in the RG or SG because they want to make money of us Baggers. I think the Baggers need the 6spd the most.

Old 11-30-2005 | 01:21 PM
wildwill
Elite HDF Member

I think they will add the 6 speed to other lines after the kinks are worked out. Remember, in 99 you couldn't get a twin cam softail. Don't know about the 95" engine. Seems like they would want to keep making money on the upgrade kits. [sm=interesting.gif]

Old 11-30-2005 | 02:30 PM
FreedmRider
Road Captain

Don't wait... There is always going to be changes, what will the 08's have that the 07's won't etc… Once you are riding you will be glad you didn't wait. If you aren't going to buy untill close to the release of the 07's that might be different.

Old 11-30-2005 | 02:43 PM
dowe66
3rd Gear

I work in an automobile assembly plant. I would never buy one of our first vehicles after a model change simple for the fact that all the bugs are not out of the cars/trucks. For instance I know that some models of Harley (year 2000) had an inferior bearing in it. Harley relized this and changed it in the middle of the build year. Talk to the Harley mechanics they might let you in on a few secrets the dealer does not want you to know. I agree though that the street glide is a nice bike, I want one myself, especially if its a 6 speed. Hope this helps in your decision.

Old 11-30-2005 | 02:49 PM
redscout
Road Captain

What I've read is that the 6 speed knocks about 200 rpm off at 70.... I guess this might improve gas mileage a bit, but on a stock bagger it already seems to be geared a bit high for any sort of passing or torque at that speed. The Stage I '95 kit helped that some, but lowering the ratio would probably just put it back.

I get 45+ MPG as it is, so I can live without another gear....

And as for it fitting in the frames.... Don't they have an internal gear set that makes them 6 speeds and fits in the original housing?

Quick Reply: To buy an 06 or holdout for the 07s?