General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Street Glide for tall Rider 6' 7"

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2017 | 12:19 PM
RealtorCOSprings
|
1st Gear
Default Street Glide for tall Rider 6' 7"

I have searched online for the answer to this question for awhile now and I am still not certain of the answer. I will be getting my first ride and am really wanting a Street Glide, do not want to "settle" on a dif bike only to trade up later on. So my question is 2 fold....

1. Is a Street Glide a good first bike for a rider with minimal experience?

and

2. at 6' 7" and 180 lbs. is it a bike that I will be okay on?

I have not been on a bike in at least 12 years and even that was short live.

Also, what other bikes are great options for a 6' 7" rider? 34 inseam, my height is mainly torso.

Old 06-07-2017 | 12:48 PM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member

I really can't give you an honest answer on #1 because I've known people that have started out on various sizes of bikes with mixed results. As to #2, If it was me, I'd go to my local dealer and sit on one and see how it feels to you and go from there. Good luck

Old 06-07-2017 | 12:59 PM
RedNose44
Extreme HDF Member
Veteran: Army

A friend is 6' 8", and he just bought a new RG. Before that he was on an EG and both bikes seem to work well for him after changing some stuff out (bars, seat etc...). The only difference between the SG and RG is the fairing.

Old 06-07-2017 | 01:03 PM
BTLorys
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp

Take a look at this... 43 pages of tall people stuff -

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...and-above.html

Old 06-07-2017 | 01:58 PM
Vandinroth
Advanced

Originally Posted by RealtorCOSprings
I have searched online for the answer to this question for awhile now and I am still not certain of the answer. I will be getting my first ride and am really wanting a Street Glide, do not want to "settle" on a dif bike only to trade up later on. So my question is 2 fold....

and

Also, what other bikes are great options for a 6' 7" rider? 34 inseam, my height is mainly torso.
1. I would personally say no, not at all. I'm of the school of thought that it's easier and more confidence building to start out on a lighter bike that doesn't have all the extra stuff bolted on. I just went to a street glide, my first foray into touring bikes and I have 25 years of riding experience and it was a little intimidating for the first few days. The fairing and the bags make it feel pretty big. I'd say start on a bike you can afford to tip over once or twice while you build confidence.

2. I felt a little cramped initially going from my deluxe to the glide and i'm right at 6'. Could just be the different riding position. I'm sure taller riders can speak more about this or the thread that was provided.

Old 06-07-2017 | 02:22 PM
Kcougar
Intermediate

I started off renting touring bikes after only riding dirtbikes. Im a stocky 5'11". If you have the leg strength you wont have a problem. I dont necessarily believe in the light bike, first bike mentality. Take a MSC. Then take it slow. Id rent one before I buy.

Old 06-07-2017 | 02:34 PM
StoneyFatBoy
Road Master

Check out Matt Laidlaw on YouTube he has a Harley dealership in California he test rides all the bikes and talks about the ups and downs of each one, and he always brings up how hight effects each bike what is good for taller riders or shorter riders as he is over 6' also

Old 06-07-2017 | 02:40 PM
06Ultraman
Road Captain

The starter bike thing is BS. Always ride within your capabilities and with your head, not your heart. Handling it is no problem with your size. Id go road glide for that height. It seems roomier with more space to the fairing from the rider. Then you do all the tall guy stuff to it. Seat that moves you back.. different bars.. foot board ext. Pedal ext.

Last edited by 06Ultraman; 06-12-2017 at 11:14 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Peter Griffin (07-12-2020)
Old 06-07-2017 | 02:58 PM
junior07
Road Master

Originally Posted by RealtorCOSprings

and

at 6' 7" and 180 lbs. I think you need a couple cheeseburgers and some fries. Hell don't stop there, go kill a bull and have a feast for a weekend.

vizcarmb (08-29-2023)
Old 06-07-2017 | 05:06 PM
Focker RN
Cruiser

Originally Posted by junior07
at 6' 7" and 180 lbs. I think you need a couple cheeseburgers and some fries. Hell don't stop there, go kill a bull and have a feast for a weekend.

He must be a kid. GOTTA be a kid. I haven't weighed 180 since 9th grade. I'm 6'3" and if I only weighed 180 my family would think I was on crack or something.

Red89gt (10-24-2023)

Quick Reply: Street Glide for tall Rider 6' 7"