General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Street Glide for tall Rider 6' 7"

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2017 | 02:03 PM
sharpshooter
Road Warrior

6'7 damn it lurch LOL.. Im 6'3 and have never sat on a stock SG and felt comfortable. Not to say that you cant make it fit you.. Now the RG is pretty much the same bike but for some reason it fits me a lot better out of the box. Granted I still changed out the seat and am currently swapping the bars out..As far as your first ride, everybody has an opinion on that.. Its a lot of money for a bike. Only you can make that decision..

Old 06-12-2017 | 02:50 PM
jwoitena
Intermediate

At 6'7, I think you'll need to customize it to fit your needs regardless of what bike you go with. I have a SGS, and at 6', I had to customize it to fit me. My upgrades included a seat that pushed me back, floorboard pans that moved my feet up an inch, and swapped out the handlebars to 10" LA Choppers Twin Peaks. This setup works for me.

Out of those 3, I would probably start with the handlebars and then go from there. Some might say changing the seat out to something that pushes you back is where you should start (which I did this) but wished I would have done handlebars first to know how much distance back I really needed on the seat.

I'd also get a set of pegs to mount on the engine guard so you can stretch out once you find the right combination of upgrades to the stock system to fit you.

As for #1, this really depends on you and your riding style. I think you could handle any bike as long as you take the time to learn your bike (empty parking lots, etc) before commuting or taking trips. More experienced riders I'd say jump on and go.

Old 07-11-2020 | 11:42 PM
LRZ
Advanced
Default 6’6” 220lbs.

I had 5.5” extensions cut out, powdered and mounted to my 2009 rocker. Got drag bars to stretch out my long arms.
took a 2020 RG our couple days ago and could wait to get back on the rocker.
That said, I want a Street Glide. Bad...!!
and was hoping this thread had the answer.

Custom shop set my rocker up steady and I sat on it. From there he put buckets under my feet and moved each leg back and forth to where I liked it. Turned out to be (5.5”)

recently went back to ask if he could do the same to a SG, and he said yes.
so some say I’ll have an answer for you, because I’m getting one. Some day

Old 07-12-2020 | 08:37 PM
Highwaymans
Road Warrior

With the taller torso, Id guess a RG would be a better fit for ya..... Just gotta get over it being such an ugly bike (kidding).... Even then mods youre still doing bars, seats, we all do.

Seriously rent a SG and RG for a couple days. Best way to know if either is better or even if a HD is a good starter for ya. Possibly save ya alot of dough.

Last edited by Highwaymans; 07-12-2020 at 08:38 PM.
Old 07-12-2020 | 10:26 PM
Cap77
Grand HDF Member

"first bike" questions ...

my thoughts on that are it comes down to the individual .
some folks have been driving cars for 20+ years and still can't drive worth chit .
Others are just kind of natural at it and were driving their dad's '73 Newport around in the middle of the night before they were old enough to have a DL

Bikes are no different with the exception of higher risk of injury due to not being protected "inside" a can

no one here knows which type you are to know whether or not you can handle a big heavy bike without dumping it
and thus the prudent folks always suggest start small

as far a "fit"
they let you sit on any of them at the dealer .
and will let you test drive some if you have a MC license

..L.T.A.

Old 08-28-2023 | 11:18 AM
bigmklein34
Stage I

Originally Posted by ChickinOnaChain
Go to a dealership and see which one looks good, that fits you the best and buy it. Another way is if a dealership has a demo day and test ride every bike that you like and choose it that way. After all, it's your choice and I can't and won't tell you which one to get because everybody has their own preference on which one feels and looks the best to them and that they can afford. Good luck.
I feel like going to a dealership with zero intention to actually buy a bike there, just to get a good fit for a bike you will indefinitely be buying somewhere else is kinda messed up no? Dealerships don't feel a certain way when ppl do this?

Old 08-28-2023 | 06:09 PM
Steelie68
Tourer

If you really like the SG, go for it! At your height though you have to know you may need to make some mods to make it more comfortable. Actually you’d probably have to do that for any bike because of your size. As far as your first bike, why not. If you’re comfortable you’ll be fine. As for the RG suggestions, it seems RG guys are always trying to get another member to there club. Lol. You be you, and get what you like and yes, I do own a batwing and wouldn’t be caught dead on a RG. 😂 easy guys, just playin. 👍🏻