General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fxrg modular helmet fit

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2017, 06:22 AM
badjujumatt
Advanced
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Fxrg modular helmet fit

Picked up this helmet for highway riding on my SGS. My head measures 23, which puts me in a Large, which is what I picked up. Issue is my jaw gets very sore after about an hour of wearing. I am at the point of either selling for a loss, or, looking for a mod to the cheek pads. Searching for aftermarket pads in an XL size as an option. What do you guys think? Am I hosed or can I make it work?

Old 06-07-2017, 06:44 AM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,940 Likes on 1,116 Posts

Lotsa folks have a love affair with FXRG stuff. I'd be inclined to buy a helmet that fits then sell the FXRG taking a modest loss. You go hacking at it, the fit still may not be great and it will be worthless to anyone but you.

Don't feel bad. I too have a closet helmet albeit a less pricey one. I'm bettin we're not the only ones.

Old 06-07-2017, 06:56 AM
badjujumatt
Advanced

its an awesome helmet, lightest helmet I have ever had.

Old 06-07-2017, 07:09 AM
LoneWoolf
Stellar HDF Member
Received 714 Likes on 488 Posts

Originally Posted by badjujumatt
Issue is my jaw gets very sore after about an hour of wearing.

You're not wearing it backwards are you?

Old 06-07-2017, 07:20 AM
shorelasHD
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,858 Likes on 1,270 Posts

Checked out the FXRG, looks like a quality item. Can you explain why your jaw would get sore? Sore where? at the joint(s) or point (chin)? Are you sure you're not clenching? If the helmet was too small, you'd be more likely to feel it in the cheeks or forehead. And I'm sure you're aware that a correctly fitted helmet should feel a little tight at first.

Old 06-07-2017, 07:40 AM
badjujumatt
Advanced

Originally Posted by shorelasHD
Checked out the FXRG, looks like a quality item. Can you explain why your jaw would get sore? Sore where? at the joint(s) or point (chin)? Are you sure you're not clenching? If the helmet was too small, you'd be more likely to feel it in the cheeks or forehead. And I'm sure you're aware that a correctly fitted helmet should feel a little tight at first.
The actual pressure is in the cheeks, closer to the chin. Everywhere else the helmet is fine.

Is that what wrong? LOL

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 07-04-2017 at 08:58 AM.
Old 06-07-2017, 07:49 AM
uncle kebo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,929 Likes on 2,442 Posts

It sounds like a fitment issue somewhere else. I had a Shoei that cause jaw pain bc it was a little tight near the temple.. Sometimes 'hat size' doesnt eqate to helmet size as helmets get sized for head shape too..

Old 06-07-2017, 08:40 AM
shorelasHD
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by badjujumatt
The actual pressure is in the cheeks, closer to the chin. Everywhere else the helmet is fine.
My thought is that if you can wear it more or less comfortably for an hour, it just needs a little more time for the cheekpads to wear in, and it's not the hard frame of the helmet itself that's the problem. Alternatively, you may be able to get thinner pads from the manufacturer, or, better yet, remove the pads and put them in a spring clamp to compress and thin them out-I've used this method in my Schuberth S2 helmets (very tight "race" fit) to help break them in.

Last edited by shorelasHD; 06-07-2017 at 09:56 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 06-07-2017, 10:00 AM
badjujumatt
Advanced

Originally Posted by shorelasHD
My thought is that if you can wear it more or less comfortably for an hour, it just needs a little more time for the cheekpads to wear in, and it's not the hard frame of the helmet itself that's the problem. Alternatively, you may be able to get thinner pads from the manufacturer, or, better yet, remove the pads and put them in a spring clamp to compress and thin them out-I've used this method in my Schuberth S2 helmets (very tight "race" fit) to help break them in.
With the face shield open, the helmet is tight but comfortable. When I lock the shield it pulls the cheeks tight and this increased pressure is whats causing discomfort.

Old 06-07-2017, 10:25 AM
shorelasHD
Ultimate HDF Member

The actual clear face shield shouldn't affect the cheek pad position at all-are you referring to the lower, moveable portion of the helmet? In any event, if it's a pad issue, I stand by my recommendation to remove and compress the pads-they'll compress in time in any event. Ride safe!

Quick Reply: Fxrg modular helmet fit