General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A way to test a battery without a load tester?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2017, 01:03 PM
RK4ME
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 2,323 Likes on 1,449 Posts

Originally Posted by boe1971200
Try this-
1) Turn the ignition on
2) Turn the kill switch on
3) Thumb the starter

If the bike starts the battery is ok, if not you need a battery. Hope this helps.
That's a good "home" test - not so good in a parking lot, after dark, a long way from home.

Old 06-07-2017, 05:40 PM
JohnK-NJ
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluehighways
Take it to a Harley Dealer or an AutoZone, Checker, Shucks, Kragen, O'Reilly, etc. A Load Test is good, use of a Capacitive tester (Midtronics or similar) is slightly more accurate/predictive.

As YamaHarley implies/suggests; you can:
  1. Disconnect the spark Plug Wires and (this IS important) use a couple of jumper wires to ground the disconnected Spark Plug Wires so that the bike will not start.
  2. Turn every light on the bike "On."
  3. Put a Volt Meter on the Battery.
  4. Crank the engine with the Starter Motor for 30 seconds. (This is done to remove what is called a Surface Charge which can otherwise create a false positive result.) Note: 30 seconds is a long time so keep an eye on your watch. Do NOT short change the 30 seconds.
  5. Wait 2 minutes. (This allows the battery to fully recover. Remember that a battery creates electrical power chemically. So give it a couple of minutes to reach/restore its chemical balance.
  6. Crank the engine with the starter motor again for another 30 seconds. Again do NOT stoop short of 30 seconds.
A good battery should not fall below 9.6 Volts at the 30th second of the second time you crank the engine with the starter motor.

This test will not be 100% accurate, but neither (for a variety of reasons) is a Load Test. On the other hand, without a Load Tester (Carbon Pile) or a Capacitive Tester it'll be the best you can do in your garage at home. Also, FWIW, the (what are called ) Wienie Roaster type testers are of almost no value. Other than to the folks that sell them I suppose.
Thanks for your post. Could you tell me why I should groun the spark plug wires after removing them from spark plugs?

Old 06-07-2017, 06:40 PM
Spartanden
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 8,297 Likes on 6,040 Posts

Think part of the reason is to protect ignition system and electrical system from potential issues.

Old 06-07-2017, 07:52 PM
sectime
Tourer
Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnK-NJ
Thanks for your post. Could you tell me why I should groun the spark plug wires after removing them from spark plugs?
No test will be accurate at all unless you charge the battery to full. If the battery is over two or three years old and not maintained or is a cheap brand just save yourself the grief of being stranded and replace it, unless your one buff SOB and can push start a Harley.

The following users liked this post:
JohnK-NJ (07-06-2020)
Old 06-08-2017, 05:05 AM
Bubba Zanetti
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 14,350 Likes on 6,143 Posts

Originally Posted by RK4ME
That's a good "home" test - not so good in a parking lot, after dark, a long way from home.
It was intended as humor and smartassness

Old 06-08-2017, 06:50 AM
multihdrdr
Club Member
Received 2,313 Likes on 1,861 Posts

Originally Posted by boe1971200
It was intended as humor and smartassness
I appreciated it

The OP's own statement...
Originally Posted by JohnK-NJ
... I was thinking maybe a test like leaving the lights on for 15 mins then trying to start it? ...
wouldn't be advised "in a parking lot, after dark, a long way from home"

Old 07-04-2020, 11:48 AM
LQQK_OUT
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,657 Likes on 1,129 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluehighways
Also, FWIW, the (what are called ) Wienie Roaster type testers are of almost no value. Other than to the folks that sell them I suppose.

Originally Posted by jeffreydsilver
What you refer to as "Weinie Roaster" testers are the most common of all portable battery testers out there. No value? They give you a volt reading when the vehicle is at rest, while it's starting as well as when it is running (charging output). Most also give you the option of doing an independent load test also. The tester is relatively inexpensive and easy to use.

Now, I would agree that the results are only as good as the mechanic is at reading them!
The issue is that the 100 amp "Wienie Roaster" testers do not place enough of a load on a 400 CCA battery to tell you very much unless the battery is already very weak.

Old 07-04-2020, 01:37 PM
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,303 Likes on 6,745 Posts

If you have the "Battery Tender Ring Terminal Accessory Cable or similar" connected to your battery, I use the the "Battery Tender LCD Voltage Indicator" to test the battery.

Chicago Ken (07-04-2020)
Old 07-04-2020, 06:43 PM
carlgrover
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,274 Likes on 1,314 Posts

Today must be old battery thread revival day.

Here's a little tech tip from your Uncle Carl: Take your old/suspect/worn out battery to your friendly, local, HARLEY DAVIDSON dealer and they will load test it on their machine for FREE. They will even provide you with a print out showing you the condition of your battery.

carl

Vernal (07-05-2020)
Old 07-04-2020, 06:51 PM
Dseago1969
Road Master
Received 345 Likes on 214 Posts

Test at home.
then ride.

Quick Reply: A way to test a battery without a load tester?