General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sportster stalling

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2017, 11:25 AM
Andy_Mac
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sportster stalling

Hi, I've got a quick question that I'm sure some of you guys can easily solve for me. I just picked up my 06 883 and noticed that a few times while coasting to a stop, it stalled out and died. This wasn't something that happened a lot (maybe twice in 1.5 hours) and I wasn't able to determine a specific riding condition other than coasting to a stop. The bike was warm both times. The only "mod" that I am aware of is the stock exhaust baffles being removed prior to my purchase. Do I need to compensate for the baffle removal? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Andy

Old 06-03-2017, 12:31 PM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,632 Likes on 2,735 Posts

'06 is the last year for carbs, and only removing the baffles results in a leaner mixture on an already very lean factory setup. Does it also pop on decel much? That's also common with pipes only changes. A simple compensation for the lower backpressure system is increasing the low speed carb jet one size and adjusting the mixture screw (which is covered by a soft plug, on the bottom of the carb). The sound might appeal to you, but stock pipes usually give smoother performance and a bit more mid range power (where we're usually cruising on a Harley).

If it's not popping on decel, and there's no plug on the carb bottom (you can see the mixture screw), it's probably already had the carb work. Then a too lean condition could be the mixture screw isn't adjusted well, or you could have an intake leak.

Then there's electrical, and that's a bit harder to diagnose. People have posted on the forum about a failing electronic ignition unit going bad and cutting out when hot. That's hard to troubleshoot without just trying a different one as far as I know. A spark plug can cause problems, too, but that's rare.

I'd also suggest not pulling out in traffic without enough room to jump off and push the bike out of the way if you feel it has any kind of running problem. Probably wouldn't be a bad idea all the time, but who does that on a regular basis... bike riders tend to be risk takers, and I'll admit I can be guilty sometimes.

Old 06-03-2017, 12:42 PM
Andy_Mac
6th Gear

Thanks for the reply. I haven't noticed any popping on decel at all and it more or less "seems" to be running normal the best I can tell other than this occasional issue. I am at work today but I'll look forntye set screw cover tomorrow when I get home and see if that leads me in any direction.

Would I be better suited looking for an aftermarket exhaust like a slip on when money allows?

Old 06-03-2017, 02:40 PM
Mikew90
Advanced

I helped a buddy figure out his crank sensor was cracked and acting up when hot easy enough to check anyway pull it out and see if you see a obvious crack it was on a 05 1200