General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Key fob hell

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2017, 10:40 PM
trevorleecraig@gmail.com
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Key fob hell

So hears my stupid problem. Got a 17 limited back in December I noticed the key fobs were nicked up from being opened several times. I thought no big deal they just were not careful when putting batteries in them. Two weeks later bike wouldn't start. Checked the fob batteries they were dead, no problem put new ones in worked fine. A few weeks later same thing dead batteries. I'm on ten batteries five months later. Now I think ok time to get the dealer involved, take it in they look at me like I'm a friggen idiot. Finally get them to keep it, now of course after 3 weeks of them having it shows no issues (story of my life). I'm picking up the bike in the morning I'm wondering if anyone else has had an issue like this. I guess I'm going to replace the fobs on my dime, i don't know what else to do dealer is no help.

Old 06-02-2017, 11:16 PM
Sd883
Stage II
Default Move the fobs away from the bike

if you keep the key fobs near the bike when you're not riding, they will always be talking to the bike- and running the batteries down. I keep my fobs at least 15' away from the bike. Try moving the fobs further from the bike, that may be an issue.

The following users liked this post:
Redlegvzv (06-03-2017)
Old 06-02-2017, 11:27 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,075 Likes on 2,558 Posts

I knew...heard...not to let fobs stay near the bike. But if it's not that, I don't know. The only issue I've had with my fob is when I put the battery in wrong.

Old 06-03-2017, 12:35 AM
Nickatnyt
Road Warrior
Received 123 Likes on 83 Posts

Thanks for the heads up not leaving the key fob on the bike!

Old 06-03-2017, 06:17 AM
trevorleecraig@gmail.com
1st Gear

I was told about keeping the fobs away from the bike, but I keep them in the house the bike is in a detached garage 40' away. I have done countless hours of research on line and haven't found anything on the Harley fobs however I have found many forum's that talk about V.W. and Hyundai cars having the same issue. The problem was always bad fobs. Thanks for your replies on this i will replace and see if that works. Was hoping the dealer would offer to replace but all they want to do is Bill me for 2 more batteries .

The following users liked this post:
MadMexican (06-04-2017)
Old 06-03-2017, 06:26 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 2,250 Likes on 1,641 Posts

Did you address your concern/issue w/the Service Manager? If not, go to that level...you bought a new ride and they should have a vested interest in retaining your loyalty. Luckily, all three dealers in my immediate area are awesome to work with. Good luck!

Old 06-03-2017, 06:32 AM
CVO SG
Road Warrior
Received 252 Likes on 205 Posts

I always keep my FOB hanging off the latche mounts inside the saddle bags on both my '15 SGS and the '17 CVO. Only time they are not on the bike is when I ride to a store and lock it, guessing the fob is away from the bike maybe once every 2 weeks. Point being, its almost always on the bike and Ive never had to replace the battery. Odd why some do, some don't.
Good luck

Old 06-03-2017, 06:34 AM
BobbyH83
Cruiser
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Isn't there a way to put the electronics tom"sleep"? Trailer mode I think hd calls it. Saw it on a YouTube vid, my bike is old so no fob

Old 06-03-2017, 06:45 AM
trevorleecraig@gmail.com
1st Gear

The dealer i have local is real s.o.b. So I go 50 miles away.they have always been great knew all the service writers ,now all new people that don't know me and think I'm some Hypochondriac thats making up problems. Next closest dealer is 130 miles away. It really sucks about my local dealer they are 1/2 mile away and I pass them 2-3 times a day.

Old 06-03-2017, 06:52 AM
CVO SG
Road Warrior
Received 252 Likes on 205 Posts

Curious if one wanted to disable the security so that the bike and Fobs are not constantly communicating with each other, if thats possible and just use the Fob for keyless start?
Thinking once you switch on the ignition switch, then the FOB and bike will talk, but only then??

Quick Reply: Key fob hell